I bought a cab recently because I was going to buy a 6505 head. After playing a friends axe i changed my mind almost immediately. Now I know the signal goes like this Guitar > Axe > poweramp > cab but I'm lost as to which poweramps I should be looking at. I play death metal (band in profile) so obviously I need quite a bit of volume. Can someone recommend a poweramp that fits my specs?

I live in Windsor, ON
I would prefer new
Budget of about 200-300$ (CDN)

Thanks.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Depends largely on what your cab can handle. Find the power rating of your speaker cab and then get something in the ballpark. If you wanna go cheap, Behringer's EP series makes a pretty powerful, reliable amp at reasonable prices. QSC is a bit more expensive, but their lower-powered amps tend to be pretty reasonable, and they make a quality product.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
With that kind of budget you'll be looking at solid state power amps unless you can find a good deal on a used tube power amp. Rocktron has one around that price point.

I don't know if you can save up but Carvin makes a 100 watt tube power amp for $600 USD.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
The cab I have now is 300 watt handling I believe. Does SS or tube make a huge difference tonally?
You're going to get a 1600 piece of preamp and amplify it with 300 worth? really? Would you like a BKP pickup swap for your line6 spider with your order?

Tube adds the tube saturation dynamics, SS doesn't. With the Axe it shouldn't matter as much as I hear the tube simulation on that thing is pretty good.

Cheapest I would go is 500-600 for a nice used poweramp. VHT is the favored option, but more expensive. Carvin tube poweramps are also big because they're pretty flat. I wouldn't go with Mesa, it would color the sound too much. You wouldn't want your fender preamp sim to sound like a mesa would you? AKA try to get a fairly transparant poweramp. SS and tube are both fine. I think I'd go SS personally for the flatter response, and use the onboard tube saturation simulation. That way not every sim you use is colored the same way by the poweramp (mesa example).

ymmv
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Mar 31, 2011,
Fractal audio make their own power amp. Not sure how much it is across the pond, but they're meant to be quite good and reliable. They were designed for use with the axe fx, so it might be worth checking them out.
Crate Powerblock is a damn good power amp for the money.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
The crate powerblock would actually work very well. The Axe Fx is going to be doing all of your sound shaping really, so something with a ton of clean headroom would be good. The powerblock has that.

I also know a lot of people use a tube amp line out connected to the powerblock so they can lower the volume of the amp without compromising the sound quality, they swear by it.
i would look into the powered FR cab by atomic amps. Made specifically for the axe fx, and the reviews have all been very good.
Guitars
Amps
The powerblock is a good amp. As long as you have headroom and its not a noisy amp, most decent SS or tube power amps work.

As a general rule: the crappier the amp, the more you have to work with your presets on the axe to get a good sound.
/rig
Quote by Matt15f
i would look into the powered FR cab by atomic amps. Made specifically for the axe fx, and the reviews have all been very good.

+1
ESP/LTD: MH-1000FR
Epiphone: Les Paul Ultra II (JB/Jazz)
Squire: Modded HSS Strat
Fractal Audio: Axe Fx II (checking store every 2 minuets)
Atomic: Reactor FR
Line 6: UX1
Roland: TD-3KW
I checked out the powerblock. It's 150 watts is enough power to play bars and such? I've never really had an SS amp so I can only gauge tube-loudness I guess you can say. Also, check out the Atomic FR cab. It's 50 watts tube which I know is definitely loud enough. I would just go Guitar > Axe > Powered cab?
Last edited by DroptuneD at Apr 1, 2011,
+1 on the Atomic rec, I used to own an Atomic amp which I used with my Pod xtlive and it worked really well. Im betting the newer FullRange cabs would be just the ticket as its been designed in concert with Fractal and the Axe-FX so it wont mess with the tone coming out of the Axe FX.

The problem you would have with any other power amp and cab is they would colour the sound to some degree which is good if you are looking to change the tone of a tube amp a bit but not good when dealing with modelers which require a balanced fullrange uncoloured amp.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Yes you would run guitar - axe - powered cab.

There is also a whole section on the fractal forums devoted to amplification, you could do some research on there. There's sure to be countless reviews on all the major amps.

One other word of advice, I ran my axe entirely on a studio monitor setup, I would advise against that.
Guitars
Amps
I'll check out the fractal forums thanks. Why would you advise against just running it through studio monitors?
I have a pretty good set of monitors (dynaudio bm5a) and while the axe did sound good through them, it sounded more like a recorded sound than a live guitar amp. Just didn't have that in your face in the room punch that a real amp has.

From my reading on the net I think that problem is less of an issue when using a power amp cab setup.

To that end I kind of wish I would have tried a nice power amp option like the atomics before I sold it. I did try it thru my Mesa recto power amp and surprise surprise everything sounded like a recto.
Guitars
Amps
Ahh I see. Kind of makes sense I guess. Thanks.
Quote by Matt15f
I have a pretty good set of monitors (dynaudio bm5a) and while the axe did sound good through them, it sounded more like a recorded sound than a live guitar amp. Just didn't have that in your face in the room punch that a real amp has.

From my reading on the net I think that problem is less of an issue when using a power amp cab setup.

To that end I kind of wish I would have tried a nice power amp option like the atomics before I sold it. I did try it thru my Mesa recto power amp and surprise surprise everything sounded like a recto.

You have effectively turned me off the 2:100
I was considering a used one for my RP (and Axe once I get a job).
Quote by Matt15f

I did try it thru my Mesa recto power amp and surprise surprise everything sounded like a recto.

That seems to be the consensus.. I'm using a 2:90 which is the mark IV power section. It sounds nothing like a mark IV or recto.
/rig