I don't know much about amps and effects but I know it's common practice to put Tubescreamers in front of amps... I know sooner or later I'm going to swap my Cube 30 for a proper valve/tube amp and i want to be prepared so I don't have to buy loads of stuff... also my cube sounds a bit lame and I'd like to overdrive it a bit.

However, I don't want to spend loads of money on a real Tubescreamer so I was wondering, are the Behringer clones of the Tubescreamers a viable option? I've heard good things about them with some people even saying they prefer the clones.

Also, which should I get? As far as I know, the TO800 is a clone of the TS 808, and the TO100 is a clone of the TS 9. Which pedal is used more for metal?
Well I'm just gonna use the old cliche and say you get what you pay for.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Metal is a rather broad genre there.
Tubescreamers are used by many many bands. Probably all of them at one time or another.
Behringer is uhm...well, sub par IMO. I avoid them myself. But if its what you want then go for it.

If you want an overdrive for cheap, check out the Digitech Bad Monkey.

Any of these can be used for metal, depending on your definition of metal, amp being used, etc.
Behringer pedals are absolute shit. Not even worth what little they cost. If you're on a budget, look up the Ibanez TS7 and Digitech Bad Monkey. Both extremely good TS clones for the price.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by JesusCrisp
None.

Get the amp first.

I'm not going to get a proper amp for years, I can't have a valve amp when I'm in university, and I bought my cube a few months ago and don't feel like I should upgrade. I want a good overdrive pedal though, and I don't really have enough money for a real Tubescreamer...

Edit: thanks for suggesting the Bad Monkey, I'll go and check it out...
Last edited by LRCGUITAR at Mar 31, 2011,
Don't buy an OD for your current amp. An OD pedal is best used to push TUBES.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
tonerider american od is supposedly a clone of a ts9. I haven't tried it, but i've heard from people who've tried the two head-to-head (and i have a couple of their other pedals, they're very nice).

Not sure I'd trust bugera's reliability, though I haven't tried them myself. I mean the tonerider one is still pretty cheap but actually reliable.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Behringer pedals are not so good. To be fair, I think a proper fix to their circuits wouldn't cost Behringer that much to incorporate, and the housing and buffer is what bother me the most about them. However, be that as it may, as much as I can speculate about what would fix their shortcomings, Behringer isn't doing them so...the pedals stink like the south end of a north bound pig after wallowing in it's own fecal material. A Digitech Bad Monkey would work as a cheap and decent sounding boost.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by LRCGUITAR
I'm not going to get a proper amp for years, I can't have a valve amp when I'm in university, and I bought my cube a few months ago and don't feel like I should upgrade. I want a good overdrive pedal though, and I don't really have enough money for a real Tubescreamer...

Edit: thanks for suggesting the Bad Monkey, I'll go and check it out...

well you could buy a low watt tube amp
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
An overdrive will do nothing for your current amp.

New amp.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Effects in front of modeling amps = no go. I've tried it, it does not sound good. I'd get a tube amp of some sort, THEN think about overdrives.

You *might* be able to sell the Cube and get a valveking for a fair price on the used market. That's the route I'd go. It's cheap, and though I'm not really sold on the tone, it's a good platform for modding (so I hear), and are pretty cheap for what you get.