I'm learning the symphony of destruction solo and I find it pretty fast. Right now I can play it at about 65% of real tempo. But I've kinda hit a wall. Other than playing it over and over and trying to bump the tempo up slightly, is there anything else I could do to improve my speed?
you could try playing it over and over and try to bump the tempo up slightly

really thats the only way to do it

make sure your economic with your picking. thats about all you can do
Quote by jetfuel495
I read somewhere about some technique where if you play the piece at 20% speed 20 times a day for 20 days straight, you'll have it down pretty well, possibly even full speed, at the end.

sounds like bs to me... if it takes 20 days you might as well just learn it by playing slow and raising the metronome 5 bpm every few minutes
It has to do with muscle memory and how after so long it'll just get ingrained in your psyche. Who knows, I've heard different things from different people about it. Those who were actually dedicated enough sometimes showed positive results.

Too many people are impatient, so by only raising the bpm every few minutes, many people don't take the time to make sure that they're playing it perfectly. You don't want to learn something sloppily and be done with it.

The key to playing fast is playing slow. It's in every other guitar column out there.
Quote by jetfuel495

The key to playing fast is playing slow. It's in every other guitar column out there.

i agree, hence slowing the metronome down first and then raising.
Quote by jetfuel495
I read somewhere about some technique where if you play the piece at 20% speed 20 times a day for 20 days straight, you'll have it down pretty well, possibly even full speed, at the end.

I tried something like this, backfired on me. I could only play it slow. My finger memory hadn't developed this 'ability' to play fast. It's hard to explain.

At slow speeds I could play better than Jesus, but when it came to jumping in speed I couldn't.

Though, I did definitely notice my technique was uber-****ing-clean and I had no problem getting the speed up afterwards.
: )