Alright, basically I'm gonna start gigging soon with my Thrash/Death metal band, and I need a good head. Currently, I have a Marshall VS100 Valvestate head and the matching 4x12 Valvestate cab, and I have a Blackstar HT DistX distortion pedal to go with it.

I'm not sure if I like this set up or not, the distortion is alright, but a bit meh, (to my ears.) But the main problem with it is, when you crank the volume/level on the amp/pedal, the amp starts to scream high pitchedly when the guitar is not being played. Is normal and how do you deal with it if so?

anyway, so if I do sell the head (I have a friend who may be interested), what head would you reccomend to replace it? I'm looking for something that sounds like Cannibal Corpse, like the Tomb of the Mutilated album by them (if you don't know them, just look up the song Hammer Smashed Face on youtube, it's from that album and listen to the guitar on it)

By the way, my budget would mean it would have to cost less than £450, and I'm hoping to buy second hand, I'm sure I can get a decent enough head for that.

Oh by the way, I play a Jackson RR3 Rhoads.

Thanks for your time guys,
Last edited by kerkhammet at Mar 31, 2011,
Quote by jetfuel495
No idea about the rest, but 6505s are pretty standard metal amps.

Dont do it Tomb of the mutilated was not recorded with a 6505. That amp has very high mids and you are looking for something with less mids.

Google the Ampeg- ALL the old school D.M. bands used it. Its cheap and the tone your after.

Not saying its the best D.M. amp around but it is for the price. You can get much much better if there was a bigger budget.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Bugera 333XL combo is you're best bet

its basically a Peavey JSX clone. it may not be the amp you want for getting that exact tone but its the closest you're gonna get to the Triple Recto which is what Cannible Corpse use
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
Bugera 333XL combo is you're best bet

its basically a Peavey JSX clone. it may not be the amp you want for getting that exact tone but its the closest you're gonna get to the Triple Recto which is what Cannible Corpse use

Normally I would never advise anyone to get a Bugera but if it came down to you buying the Peavey then Id go the Bugera route.

But still: Buy the Ampeg
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
If you can't find the Ampeg VH140c, you could always get a Crate GT3500H or GX-130c (Ampeg clone). I believe that Cannibal Corpse at one time used the GX130c so that should get you very close.

The best part is that the GX130c amps can be found for very cheap.

If you were looking for the Death tone you could get a Marshall Valvestate 8080, as Chuck Schuldiner used one of those.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??