So i was at practice today, and it's the first time i've used my tsl100 for more than 20 minutes at a time. after about half an hour, the room stunk of, i dunno, Not burning, but more melting plastic. The tubes were roasting. REALLY Glowing, but i thought this was a characteristic of the amp really. anyway, after a while the amp just turned off and wouldn't come back on. I got home and the fuse has gone. Any ideas why the fuse might have gone ? I don't wanna replace it before having an idea of whats wrong incase it nackers my amp up.

Thanks in advance!
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

Quote by Rossmillertarn!
So i was at practice today, and it's the first time i've used my tsl100 for more than 20 minutes at a time. after about half an hour, the room stunk of, i dunno, Not burning, but more melting plastic. The tubes were roasting. REALLY Glowing, but i thought this was a characteristic of the amp really. anyway, after a while the amp just turned off and wouldn't come back on. I got home and the fuse has gone. Any ideas why the fuse might have gone ? I don't wanna replace it before having an idea of whats wrong incase it nackers my amp up.

Thanks in advance!

not to laugh its a horrible thing but the way you explained it. Melting plastic smell and red hot tubes is not a characteristic of any amp id want.

Have you ever changed the tubes? Sounds like the bias was horribly off. BUT idk if that would effect the fuse or not. Maybe there are 2 problems.

Id wait for more posts but if you did change the tubes and did not bias correctly then
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
What color?

Sounds like it red-plated.

Take it to a tech. Now.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
could be tube related. i blew a fuse in a vox ac amp before and the power tubes needed to be replaced. it could be something else though
If it's red plating then there's something very off somewhere, be it a cap or bias. Take it to a tech, for real.
--

--
Quote by adambauman31
could be tube related. i blew a fuse in a vox ac amp before and the power tubes needed to be replaced. it could be something else though

yes im not exactly sure how the fuse relates to tube on the specific amp. I would call your dealer and hopefully its under warranty.

Also check the ohms on the cab and head. If for some reason the Ohms never matched.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
:/ bad times haha ok. I thought they looked a bit too bright. i've only had it like 3 days. I swapped my ac30 for it. The impedance is right on the cab too. I'm gonna make the guy cough up for it fixing haha. Hopefully it's nothing irrepairable
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

Last edited by Rossmillertarn! at Mar 31, 2011,
Dude. It's not a tube problem. It's a circuit problem. Your tubes are red-plating. If you put new tubes, and a new fuse, I'd bet anything it'll do it again.

Please, just take it to a tech before you waste your money on two sets of tubes instead of just one.
--

--
I've not put any new tubes into it dude. just the ones it came with. but i'm taking it to a tech tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

I know you haven't . I was just making sure you weren't going to. Eventually you're going to have to buy tubes for it (obviously), but rather after a good looking through.

Hope it all goes well.
--

--
Yeah, you really don't wanna risk anything worse happening to your amp... I'd go to a tech and let them handle it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
haha yeah :P Thanks a lot guys ! Feel a bit better now i have an idea of whats up !
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

Quote by Rossmillertarn!
Feel a bit better now i have an idea of whats up !

Um, no. You don't have the slightest idea what's up. And here's why:

There is a myriad of information to help determine what went wrong with that amp that you haven't provided us. We don't know how old those valves are, or how many hours were on them. We don't know what the bias setting was, or if it was even within acceptable limits.
We also don't know if the voltage at the mains was higher than it should have been.

We don't even know for sure if the valves were actually red-plating, because, as you already stated, you've only had the amp for 3 days, and you initially thought it was "characteristic of the amp". So we have cause to discount your perception.

Since the amp was used, chances are excellent the valves are indeed quite old and worn. It's not unreasonable to think they were ready to shove off.

If all 4 valves were indeed redplating, then yes you COULD have a problem, but it is no guarantee that the problem isn't the valves themselves.

And it's a dick move to make that guy pay for replacement of parts (valves) that were going to fail anyway due to age and use because YOU neglected to institute what should be standard setup and inspection when receiving a used (or even new) valve amp.

When you received that amp, you should have automatically put in new power valves, biased them (or had them biased by a tech) and checked the fuses to make sure they weren't over spec, along with testing every function of that amp, all controls, jacks, etc.

The only intelligent thing to do right now is take the amp to a tech.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Apr 1, 2011,
it was revalved in december. but obviously not biased correctly. i took it to a tech today, and that's what it was.
It's not a dick move on my part, it's a dick move on his part selling me an amp, that knowingly hasn't been set up properly. No need to be such a dick, i was only asking for help.

When you received that amp, you should have automatically put in new power valves, biased them (or had them biased by a tech) and checked the fuses to make sure they weren't over spec, along with testing every function of that amp, all controls, jacks, etc.

Sorry, but i'm sure people don't all do this when they buy an amp.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

Last edited by Rossmillertarn! at Apr 1, 2011,
Well, considering CAxe is a tech....

Na, he's right though. I always get amps checked out after I buy them immediately. It's a good thing to remember.

Glad to hear it was just a bias problem.
--

--
Quote by Rossmillertarn!

Sorry, but i'm sure people don't all do this when they buy an amp.

I did. Got a deal for the Mig 50 from a pawn shop. Tested it in the store, paid, then promptly made an appointment with a tech I trust. The labor cost for the service alone was 20% of the cost of the amp.

Even with that cost rolled in, I still got a heck of a deal. Now, add in the next tube swap and labor, I am right at the street value of the amp. Kind of a bummer, but that is life.

Welcome to the joy of tube amps.