Just caught a glance at Crimewatch on BBC1 and they mentioned an italian collector had over a million £'s worth of guitars stolen.

now i'm not saying it was anyone here, i'm just saying for you all to keep an eye out.

info:

In 2006, 157 guitars were stolen from a collector in Verona, Italy. Many of these guitars have gone on sale in locations around the UK as well as throughout the world. The victim managed to trace a number of these guitars to Leeds, which is why West Yorkshire Police has launched a national investigation. So far 32 guitars have been recovered. Some of the other guitars have been traced as far afield as Japan and the USA. But there are 61 guitars still outstanding which police are trying to trace. Fender Stratocaster 1997 The most valuable one is a Fender Telecaster 1952 in Butterscotch colour, which is worth in excess of £40,000. Another one missing is a Fender Stratocaster 1958 two tone Sunburst which is worth between £30,000 and £35,000. The victim actually designed one which was stolen - a Fender Stratocaster 1997 which is sky blue in colour. It's worth in the region of £30,000 and was one of only 150 ever made. It may well be the case that these guitars will have been modified in an effort to ensure they are not revealed as the stolen ones. To someone who isn't an expert, they might not realise what they are buying. The guitars police are looking for are very distinctive to the owner and he has given extremely detailed descriptions of each one missing. Police will be able to easily eliminate any guitars which are not stolen.

the collection includes electric guitars, acoustic guitars and basses.
some of which are a limited run and some are just rare.

they may also have been broken up and necks, bodies and p-ups sold seperately.

here's a paedophile (PDF-File) of the list of what's still missing along with serials of the instruments in question.

http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/Documents/guitarappeal.pdf

just hope someone/anyone on this site can help trace 'em.

while i don't know the dude who got his collection robbed, it's still harsh for a fellow guitar enthusiast to have been robbed of his pride & joy.

so yeh guys, anyone with love for the instrument & playing guitar will sympathise and/or even empathise and help the guy get his stuff back/get the thieving bastards locked up for life.

ps. hope this gets stickied/featured so all the users on this site who are worldwide can keep their eyes out.

peace.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.

The emotions I experienced just now.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Im living in Leeds atm, thanks for the info
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
I feel this is a pointless thread. no offense man
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by kodyk666
How did they get away with 150 guitars?

a double decker bus? shrug...

but they must have taken about an hour too!
Quote by JAHellraiser
I feel this is a pointless thread. no offense man

It wont be pointless if it prevents someone from buying a stolen guitar.

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Wooooow. I'd hate to be that guy, but how the hell do people steal 150 guitars?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I am from Leeds so if i see anyone offering me guitars stupidly cheap then i will report them
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
I really hope he knew how to play them.

Otherwise, what a goddamned waste. What's the point of buying a vintage guitar and just letting it sit and get old?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
I really hope he knew how to play them.

Otherwise, what a goddamned waste. What's the point of buying a vintage guitar and just letting it sit and get old?

investment and decoration.

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Very sad, but I've never seen the value in five figure guitars. Same as those million quid violins and things. I'd rather put my money towards a custom build.

Guitars are living breathing things, and should be played until they die. Or are murdered in a heat of the moment Hendrix style beating.

The most expensive guitar I had was a Squier Strat. I ended up having to buy two cymbals two toms and a kick drum when we discovered it couldn't be unwedged from them...LOL

Anyways, bad stuff, but guitars have long been a mainstay of "things that get nicked for quick profit" - you always see them in Pawn shops and the like - they're easier to move than the same value of, say TVs, and retain that value. So kids, lesson is, if you're known to be a guitarist in your local area, get some bleedin insurance on it! This guy clearly has oodles of cash and is probably insured to the eyeballs, but it's still nasty to have your luvvies go missing. Worse if you've eaten nothin but beans on toast for six months to get that new Axe...
Quote by shikkaka
It wont be pointless if it prevents someone from buying a stolen guitar.

Who gives a shit?

It's only illegal if you get caught.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by shikkaka
investment and decoration.

Exactly my problem with those people.

A guitar shouldn't sit around in its case. If you gave me a '54 Strat, you can bet your butt I'd play it every day, with no special treatment.

Maybe I'm just too old school.
--

--
I caught this on tv earlier.. trust the woman to point out the pretty blue guitar!
You rarely see guitars like these, the rest will probably be picked up soon enough if they arent just hidden away somewhere, its not like original 1950-70 guitars go unnoticed when put for sale

Still, I hope this is incentive that people shouldnt keep guitars away and in collections like this, maybe for historical or like 'time capsule' purposes (imagine an only slightly beaten guitar from that era in like 2040!) and that he should have been in the room playing those guitars rather than leave them poorly secured
Mesa/Boogie Studio Pre | Marshall EL34 50/50 Power | Harley Benton 2x12 V30's

How do you like, your mids in the morning?
Quote by stratman_13

A guitar shouldn't sit around in its case. If you gave me a '54 Strat, you can bet your butt I'd play it every day, with no special treatment.

Meh. I more or less agree with you. You and I would not buy a guitar for any reason but to play it. Some people buy guitars for different reasons and treat them appropriately. I dont think there is a problem with it, although it is weird...

Quote by bubb_tubbs
Who gives a shit?

It's only illegal if you get caught.

If you buy it, and someone realizes its stolen. They take it and you lose your money. Its a risk some people might not want to take.

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Last edited by shikkaka at Mar 31, 2011,
Except it will either be prohibitively expensive for 99% of the users here, or so cheap that it's obv a scam.

That said, if a real '59 was up for sale for $2000, I'd buy it and risk the loss.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by stratman_13

i dunno if that's the "old school" thing to do.

reliable source tells me at my last gig there was an old man muttering under his breath about me using my '73 SG for a gig... "violating a piece of musical history" apparently oh how i wish i'd got to speak to him. i could've pointed out to him that historically, musicians played their musical instruments to make music with them...

but.. why are people complaining about this guy having a load of vintage guitars even though he might not actually play... you should be complaining about people stealing them.. that's the real crime
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
i dunno if that's the "old school" thing to do.

reliable source tells me at my last gig there was an old man muttering under his breath about me using my '73 SG for a gig... "violating a piece of musical history" apparently oh how i wish i'd got to speak to him. i could've pointed out to him that historically, musicians played their musical instruments to make music with them...

but.. why are people complaining about this guy having a load of vintage guitars even though he might not actually play... you should be complaining about people stealing them.. that's the real crime

NO IT'S NOT

--

--
I have a '97 strat

>.>
<.<

I bought it a few years ago though.....

>.>
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by megano28
I have a '97 strat

>.>
<.<

I bought it a few years ago though.....

>.>

they were stole back in '06...
That's some speedy news!
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Last year my friend did work experiance at a music shop in leeds and some guy came and sold the shop a '57 les paul for £1000. Of course the shop took it and had it valued. Something like £16000 i think? Unfortunatley someone walked in a couple of days later and stole it
If I was working that day, I'd have doubled that if he'd sell directly to me then told my boss I was taking the day off.

Quote by stratman_13

I'm with you man... I have an early 1950's Harmony H-50 and it still gets played.

In the words of James Jamerson "The dirt keeps the FUNK"
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Quote by maddnotez
Sounds like an Insurance scam to me.

it's quite hard to believe that a millionaire wouldn't have tight security.

Quote by SaintsofNowhere
it's quite hard to believe that a millionaire wouldn't have tight security.

you haven't been to italy have you? they're the most relaxed race on earth, just roll about on vespas saying "ciao"
(i'll stop with eddie izzard references now)
Quote by Dempsey68
they were stole back in '06...

I bought it in California, besides I paid teh good moneys for it

>.>

<.<

seriously though, they list the value of the strats at >30,000 pounds...I got mine for 700 bucks, it was in pristine condition though....do they have a list of the serial numbers? I check to see
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Last edited by megano28 at Apr 1, 2011,
Quote by megano28
I bought it in California, besides I paid teh good moneys for it

>.>

<.<

seriously though, they list the value of the strats at >30,000 pounds...I got mine for 700 bucks, it was in pristine condition though....do they have a list of the serial numbers? I check to see

yeh the list of the guitars with their serial numbers is on the first post in a link to a PDf file/paedophile.
Whoever stole those guitars, I would like to punch them in the face. No one deserves to lose a collection that beautiful.
Quote by Dempsey68
yeh the list of the guitars with their serial numbers is on the first post in a link to a PDf file/paedophile.

sorry about that, didn't bother to open it at first....

I just checked and luckily for me, my guitar is clean. I only saw one 97 strat and it was blue with a rosewood fretboard. My baby is a Sienna sunburst with a maple neck/fretboard....couldn't think what I'd do if it were stolen
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Quote by JD2k9
Whoever stole those guitars, I would like to punch them in the face. No one deserves to lose a collection that beautiful.

not knowing this said millionaire personally, i couldn't make that judgement.

i do believe in karma.

for all we know, he had it coming or stole half of them off unsuspecting craigslist posters...

or not...

so was it MatrixClaw or what, cut to the chase, any russian involvelment?

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
doubt russian involvement if they ended up in yorkshire lol