This is all related to alternative picking.

So I know its beneficial to make smaller movements while picking, but ive noticed when practicing simple finger runs to get my hands properly in sync.

I use larger motions when going slower and smaller when going fast.

Obviously i know this is common sense but when i use larger motions i kind of swing into the strings and slower motions i 'cut' across the strings.

I have seen guitarists do this before though.

So my question is, Will it hold back my ability to pick faster and accurately? Isit wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSA6D2gpVWA < Slow and 'faster' Lol

Sorry for the length and hopefully you can see well enough. Thanks.
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Mar 31, 2011,
Everyone adjusts to certain speeds diffrently.
And personaly I think that: you should worry about such things ONLY IF your stuck at a point( for a reasonably long period of time) where you cant play what you want/progress where you want.

I might get bashed at this but: dont listen to all these people who point out the steriotypes for picking eg. you angle it wrong, you hold it bad, your motions are weird etc.
It doesnt matter how you do it, youll gradualy evolve what you have and develop your own "way"of doing things. Look at all those players out there who play in the most bizzare ways, but they get things done right? Yes they do.

As pointed out earlier UNLESS your having problems that you cant overcome for the past... like..? i dunno 3-5-7 months you shouldnt really worry about it.
Last edited by DocArunas at Mar 31, 2011,
I'm with him on this one. The only reason you should worry is if/when it actually does start to influence your playing. If you can still play as well as you think you should for your ability then don't worry about it.

There are people who obsess over it and say you MUST hold the pick a certain way and all that rubbish, but it just doesn't actually matter unless it starts effecting your playing.

Just carry on playing how you do, if you run into trouble then the chances are that your technique will adapt anyway.

Best of luck
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Cheers guys and i rarely listen to guys who have MUST ways of doing things, but if it holds back my potential to be a decent guitarist and musician then Ill correct it.

It hasn't held back my playing though, just curiosity.
Quote by smokeysteve22
So I know its beneficial to make smaller movements while picking, but ive noticed when practicing simple finger runs to get my hands properly in sync.

I use larger motions when going slower and smaller when going fast.

If you're really intent on improving your technique (and thereby playing fast) then you need to practice slowly the way you want to play when you're shredding it up. If you don't practice with the right movements your muscles won't build up the requisite memory to do what you want them to efficiently.

It's fine to use massive motions when you're actually playing, but if you're practicing you need to get the right motions ingrained into your hand and fingers.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you're really intent on improving your technique (and thereby playing fast) then you need to practice slowly the way you want to play when you're shredding it up. If you don't practice with the right movements your muscles won't build up the requisite memory to do what you want them to efficiently.

It's fine to use massive motions when you're actually playing, but if you're practicing you need to get the right motions ingrained into your hand and fingers.

Thanks for replying

I understand what you said, the way i want to play is the way thats most comfortable and beneficial to my playing.

I dont know how to really reply to that though.

When i practice alt picking, i always practice tight motions (so to speak).

The 'swingy' picking comes into play when im generally playing/ or doing runs at slower speeds.

It just feels very natural and comfortable.
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Mar 31, 2011,
Quote by smokeysteve22
Thanks for replying

I understand what you said, the way i want to play is the way thats most comfortable and beneficial to my playing.

I dont know how to really reply to that though.

When i practice alt picking, i always practice tight motions (so to speak).

The 'swingy' picking comes into play when im generally playing/ or doing runs at slower speeds.

It just feels very natural and comfortable.

Your motion is fine, I just want you to be aware that to really improve your technique you do need to practice the way you want to end up playing, rather than just keep playing and hope you get better
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Your motion is fine, I just want you to be aware that to really improve your technique you do need to practice the way you want to end up playing, rather than just keep playing and hope you get better

Sound advice. Thank you!