Okay, maybe not everywhere, but it was pretty bad. I was practicing my slapping/popping earlier and I hadn't noticed that I cut open the top part of my right index finger on my plucking hand. When I looked down, the D and G strings had blood on them.

Now, while I felt proud in this glorious moment, I cant help but notice that the strings look a bit ugly now. Its....covered in blood Any tips on how to remove this? I tried wiping it off, and when that didnt work, I used the string cleaner and that didnt take off anything at all either. It already dried out, but im hoping it wont affect anything? Aside from asthetics...

If theres nothing else I can do about it, I guess I can make this a multi-purpose thread and ask: Have you ever injured yourself playing bass? Share some of your battle scar stories here.
pinga
It probably won't come off the strings, sorry :/

I once caught my finger tip on a breaking string half way through a riff, the coil stuck in my finger, when i pulled away it ripped out the wrong way and drew quite a bit of blood, that was interesting!

The worst one was on guitar though, stopped paying attention to my picking hand and sliced the skin from the back of my nail to the knuckle, clean cut, very red, splashed everywhere and there's still a patch on the stage where it happened!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
The worst I ever got were some blisters from recording bass 8 hours in a row, but no blood. Blood on 6-string guitar, yes, bass, no.

As for the blood, I'd leave it on there. Bleeding while playing is pretty metal.
I'd try saliva for getting the blood of the strings. Sounds odd, but it could work - I had a similar incident once, and it did the trick.

I was once told that Pete Townsend was doing his signature windmill thing during a live show and impaled his hand on the whammy bar on his bigsby. Doubtful of whether that's true/even possible, but it's a painful thought.
Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd try saliva for getting the blood of the strings. Sounds odd, but it could work - I had a similar incident once, and it did the trick.

I was once told that Pete Townsend was doing his signature windmill thing during a live show and impaled his hand on the whammy bar on his bigsby. Doubtful of whether that's true/even possible, but it's a painful thought.

Well screw me and call me Pope Fiction, the saliva actually worked! Thanks man
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Well screw me and call me Pope Fiction, the saliva actually worked! Thanks man

You're welcome... I'm no scientist (nor have I studied it for a few years now)... but I think it's probably something to do with enzymes. I get small spots of extreme eczema occasionally that result in me accidentally bleeding on stuff without realising sometimes, and saliva always does it.
My nose just sort of "exploded" while playing a gig once and bled like a mother flipper! Blood ALL over my bass, strings, pickups, knobs, strap. You name it there was blood on it. I couldn't clean the blood off the strings so I just ended up buying some new ones. I think that will be your best bet I am afraid
Quote by Ziphoblat

saliva, natures all purpose solvent and cleaner.

As far as injuries go, I've dropped a couple basses on my foot, and whacked myself with a couple headstocks, but the worst was definitely when I stamped on the ground in my cluttered room while playing and my foot came down squarely on a cable with an L tip sticking up in the carpet. Damn thing punched right into my foot.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
wow, tostitos...that's pretty hardcore. The worst was playing my friend's les paul and the bound edge of the body scraped so much skin off my forearm, it bled everywhere. he was happy to have such a stain on his guitar, it's really weird. He didn't clean it off for like 2 months.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
stabbed by string ends on a head stock and just made my strumming hand bleed playing my acoustic. I play my acoustic hard. wort thing I ever got with bass was some blisters while learning slap.
no sir away a papaya war is on
"The dirt keeps the FUNK! - James Jamerson"

Keep it man, it's a badge of honor...
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
i was slapping on a friends bass once and broke the d string. the damn thing whipped around my hand and gashed my forearm in a pretty gnarly spiral.
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
The first time I ever finger picked at a gig,after that one song,my finger had a HUGE blood blister on it that stuck around for a long time.A few seconds later,I threw my bass at a wall and broke off the strings.
But by far the worst thing I've done to myself playing bass was a result of being a cheapskate.
I had put on a new set of strings,only to discover,the windings stopped just short of the nut,meaning that the string didn't sit above the frets and buzzed horribly.
Of course,I was too cheap for a setup or new strings,so I jammed a bit of guitar string in the nut under the string.A couple months later,I did a huge slide down the top string,running my finger straight into this little shred of guitar string.It took me a while to realise that I had a piece of guitar string through my finger.
And all this the day before our very first studio session.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
It's only my thumb that bleeds when i'm slapping too much. I keep the stains on the pickguard, clean them off at a later time, like after a gig, but i just take a random clean dust cloth and clean the strings straight away. Works for me
I've drawn blood from over playing, and while it wasn't a real injury, I have been shocked a few times through the bass from an shorting ungrounded amp.

Worst story I know is my dad had one of his tear ducts sliced from a guitar string he was changing.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Degitech BP-80
MXR El Grande Bass Fuzz
Boss Bass Chorus CEB-3
DOD FX91 OD
Traynor Dynabass 200
A friend once broke a guitar string and I attempted to brake it off the bridge (it was an acoustic) and by god, it cut into my hand! Who would've thought nylon strings with alot of pressure would cut?
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by 6stringbasshred
My nose just sort of "exploded" while playing a gig once and bled like a mother flipper! Blood ALL over my bass, strings, pickups, knobs, strap. You name it there was blood on it. I couldn't clean the blood off the strings so I just ended up buying some new ones. I think that will be your best bet I am afraid

You could play that off as stage antics of some sort if it was black metal you were playing.
Quote by Ziphoblat
I think it's probably something to do with enzymes.

Come on now....
GLEN JENSEN. That is all.....

Proud owner of an Ibanez Wh10V2
I forgot to mention that I stabbed my finger changing guitar strings a few weeks ago. Suddenly, I feel much better now that bass strings are so much easier to change than guitar.
pinga
scrub wiff a tooth brush and soap!

My band was practising infornt of some kids from school. I'm the only ckick in the band and my crush was there so I was trying to avoid eyes contact while moving around, playing. Tyler stepped on my lead, and I happend to look down right then and POW right in the face. Black eye and teased relentlasly.
Reagan Shore
I've never really had any majoro problems as far as injuries are concerned, but I've cut my hands on strings PLENTY of times.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I managed to slash open the tip of my finger using a chisel the other day when making room for a battery in my b bass. Haven't been able to play fingerstyle since. :/
The E string broke and hit my middle finger in the left hand. I've still got the scar, it goes across the knuckle.

That happened when I was playing in an acoustic in front of my house when someone threw a flip-flop on my acoustic, having the string to break, so I had to beat the crap outta' him.
Last edited by 54Thiago at Apr 2, 2011,
Quote by Bass First
put the soldering iron on my finger accidentally once, couldn't play finger style for a week

so many burns.....
no sir away a papaya war is on
I broke an e-string at the bridge once. It snapped up, whipped me across my face sending my glasses flying across the room and slicing my nose up something awful. To make matters worse, I had been boasting about how rarely I ever broke a string.

Back to the TS, I think you might be better off just replacing the strings.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
I haven't had any injuries with bass (of the few string breaks I've had, they've just come unwound), but I bled all over my guitar once after scraping my nail's cuticle on one of the strings.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
There was a small amount of blood that I missed. Ive decided to keep it there, it gives it some character. + now my sound is unique, it has my blood on it
pinga