View poll results: Vote
Yes, it's wrong
7 4%
No, that's fine
154 91%
Yes and No/More complicated explanation/Other
9 5%
Voters: 170.
Something I've debated with myself as this is a scenario I'm faced with all the time.

Say something happens like; someone uses your car and uses ~$10 worth of gas or someone breaks your headphones on accident and they cost $50.

The person owes you that money and they give it to you. All fine and dandy. They're giving you the money and they're like "okay, heres $10 for gas" or "Here's the money for some new headphones."

Is it wrong to take that money they just gave you and use it on whatever you want? Maybe lunch, a video game, a CD, etc.

Or what if you only use a partial amount of that money and use the rest on something else? Like you only buy $30 headphones and you keep the other $20 for fun.
No. They owe you the money you've already paid for the product they broke/damaged/used, etc. It's essentially your money.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I suppose it kinda goes against the purpose of them giving you money in the first place. But I suppose it's the same as compensation
Quote by BladeSlinger
Oh God I lol'ed

Quote by Ēzio

Would you like to see my Soundcloud?
I love Padgea7x
Well the money's yours now. You do what you like with it. Most of the people I know first offer to buy a replacement of whatever, to save handing over cash though. I'm not bothered. Material worth is material worth, regardless of the context.
Nope.
Every poster on here is a 6-foot Catholic schoolgirl with an 8-inch penis and riches beyond my wildest dreams.
Quote by strat0blaster
No. They owe you the money you've already paid for the product they broke/damaged/used, etc. It's essentially your money.

This.

However, one point is that say the headphones were already a bit tatty you shouldn't be recuperated the retail price, just a fraction proportionate to their condition before the accident.
That would be like saying it's wrong to take the insurance money from a car accident and using it for the down payment on a better car rather than buying the same kind.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
It's wrong in the sense that you sort of betrayed their trust/intent, but it's not really all that bad. If they are okay with it, then there's nothing wrong at all, I guess. It's just that if you make them unhappy, it would be kind of wrong in the Utilitarian sense.

Plus, when they give you the money, it's sort of like making an unspoken agreement that the money replaces something valuable to you, so if you don't buy the thing you lost again, it would seem like you didn't really care about it and that you don't really deserve the money.
Last edited by D&DLover at Mar 31, 2011,
It's not like you signed a contract. If it was that important, they would give you headphones and some gas instead of money.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I would think that's fine, just as long as you're not spending the money right in front of the person. You had already previously spent the money on the gas/headphones in the first place so you're just getting your cut back.

The only thing is in the headphones scenario, if I had been using them for a decent amount of time before they were broken I would only ask the person for a percentage back.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by iantheman
...Why would that be wrong?
There was an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where a woman ruined Larry's really nice sweater, so she paid him back and he used it for something else. Everyone thought he was an asshole. Then Larry gave a guy some money for the damage to his car that was Larry's fault, and the guy used it to buy his daughter breast implants. Larry got mad and everyone thought he was an asshole.
Here's the real point that needs to be made here:

If somebody breaks your headphones which were $50 new six months ago, they shouldn't even feel obligated to give you a full $50. These things depreciate, man. If there's one thing I took out of grade 11 accounting, it's that electronics depreciate super quickly.
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
Quote by The Madcap
There was an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where a woman ruined Larry's really nice sweater, so she paid him back and he used it for something else. Everyone thought he was an asshole. Then Larry gave a guy some money for the damage to his car that was Larry's fault, and the guy used it to buy his daughter breast implants. Larry got mad and everyone thought he was an asshole.

because thats the show's shtick.

Quote by Pan-Tallica

If somebody breaks your headphones which were $50 new six months ago, they shouldn't even feel obligated to give you a full $50. These things depreciate, man. If there's one thing I took out of grade 11 accounting, it's that electronics depreciate super quickly.

resale value isnt always equal to utility.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Last edited by NoLaurelTree000 at Mar 31, 2011,
I can understand where you may be confused about this. But, i wouldnt worry about it.
Pittsburgh Penguins: 46-22-6
It's fine. Anybody that thinks otherwise owes me gas money.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
It would be wrong if you NEEDED money for something and spent it on something that you didn't need, like saying you need money for rent or bills and buying a TV. This is compensation, you can either buy a replacement or not.
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
resale value isnt always equal to utility.
Of course it's not, but it should be considered. If you've been using the headphones for, say, six months, surely we can agree that (1) they're not worth what they were on day one and (2) you've gotten some of your money's worth out of them already, and thus should not be demanding that your FRIEND pay you back the initial value.
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Of course it's not, but it should be considered. If you've been using the headphones for, say, six months, surely we can agree that (1) they're not worth what they were on day one and (2) you've gotten some of your money's worth out of them already, and thus should not be demanding that your FRIEND pay you back the initial value.

They should pay back what it costs to replace the broken item with the same product.
Quote by The Madcap
There was an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where .... Larry .... Everyone thought he was an asshole. Then Larry .... and everyone thought he was an asshole.

Sums up most of them really !

I remember this episode but, and I agreed with him both times.
Quote by Pan-Tallica

Sure you can demand that your friend pay you back the whole value of what they cost.
1. If you want to replace the product, you'll most likely have to pay the full price again.
2. Your friend inconvenienced you by breaking the headphones.
3. In regards to your point 2, headphones don't get "used up," so you can't say that you've gotten some of your money's worth from them.
How would that be wrong? It's your money to spend as you please.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by Pan-Tallica

Things do depreciate I agree, however if the item itself is in perfect working condition then it should be replaced with a model of equal value. How are you going to calculate the depreciation. There could be a change in market leading to a 50$ pair being much greater value however at the same time account for growth in the nominal GDP or even the real GDP could have an inverse effect on price and value. Where the $50 headphone may retail for a higher price while the actual value of them have decreased.

Solution. By him the same ****ing thing or just give him the value of it in what he payed. Don't both accounting for externalities or you will get mind****ed by someone eventually who can justify anything
Your karma will go down if you spend it on something else according to the fallout universe.

Also, I had this happen to me. My friend borrowed my studio headphones, and he ended up lending them to another friend. This other friend broke the head phones, and the friend who I originally lent the head phones wanted me to get the money from the friend he lent it to.

Now here's the question. Do you think it was the responsiblity of the person who I originally lent it too, or the friend who broke it to pay me back?
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
No, it's your money.

Quote by The Madcap

that's fucking creepy
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Monetary compensation for damages sounds fine. I don't see relevance in what said money is used for.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I don't possibly see how that is wrong
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Nelsean
Your karma will go down if you spend it on something else according to the fallout universe.

Also, I had this happen to me. My friend borrowed my studio headphones, and he ended up lending them to another friend. This other friend broke the head phones, and the friend who I originally lent the head phones wanted me to get the money from the friend he lent it to.

Now here's the question. Do you think it was the responsiblity of the person who I originally lent it too, or the friend who broke it to pay me back?

Your friend should be the one to go get them as they were his responsibility at the time and if he is not able to get the money the onus is place on him
Quote by Hakoon1
I suppose it kinda goes against the purpose of them giving you money in the first place. But I suppose it's the same as compensation

Yeh I agree with this
Quote by Nelsean

Since you left the headphones in your friend's ("Friend 1") trust and possession, he should pay you back for them.

However, since Friend 1 lent them to his friend ("Friend 2"), Friend 1 should try to get all or most of the money from Friend 2. As long as you get the money right away, you're out of the equation -- it should be up to them to later battle it out.
i can think of one situation.

I once paid my friend 400$ to fix his bumper I damaged. Then I realized...the scratch on the bumper was qbout 4 inches long, and that car wasn't worth a lot of money. He probably dropped it on weed or booze. So, I was a little ticked, but more ticked at myself for not paying like...100$. Even though the estimate said like $1,500 for a new bumper, but who would want a new bumper on an old ass Honda Civic?

Idk, when it was 400$, it was a big deal. I think someone another friend hit him in the same fashion, and they didn't offer to pay and never did.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
Quote by TSmitty6
i can think of one situation.

I once paid my friend 400$ to fix his bumper I damaged. Then I realized...the scratch on the bumper was qbout 4 inches long, and that car wasn't worth a lot of money. He probably dropped it on weed or booze. So, I was a little ticked, but more ticked at myself for not paying like...100$. Even though the estimate said like $1,500 for a new bumper, but who would want a new bumper on an old ass Honda Civic?

Idk, when it was 400$, it was a big deal. I think someone another friend hit him in the same fashion, and they didn't offer to pay and never did.

Same sort of thing happened to me a few years ago. My friend thought it would be funny to take off the parking break in my car while I was paying for gas, but the car didn't stop when he put it back on and it rolled into a pole and did $1500 worth of damage (for a little dent.) When I got the $1500 I decided I could live with a small dent and....invested the money. My friend didn't care.