Well you just got a response from a drummer today

If I were looking for a band, and I saw this add, these are the things that would put me off:

- Looking to start a new progressiveish post hardcore band, need bassist, and Drummer:

We say a lot on this forum, do not determine the genre until you are ready to gig. I have no need to be expected to play a certain niche genre, I just want to play guitar. If I like rock music will you hold that against me? I'd just give a very broad "rock" genre to it, and if it was post-hardcore at the end of the day nobody will care.

- Experience isn't needed.

I like to play with people who know their stuff. But that's just me.

- Contact for more info. or PM me.

I would never contact you through email or PM. You're supposed to be a group of random people that I can be friendly with in real life and make some music, but you won't even give me your phone number. If you want me to contact you, give me your mobile number.

Additionally the format of the ad is hard to read. A simple paragraph will do. Oh, and I'd never con
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB

We say a lot on this forum, do not determine the genre until you are ready to gig. I have no need to be expected to play a certain niche genre, I just want to play guitar. If I like rock music will you hold that against me? I'd just give a very broad "rock" genre to it, and if it was post-hardcore at the end of the day nobody will care.

I like to play with people who know their stuff. But that's just me.

- Contact for more info. or PM me.

I would never contact you through email or PM. You're supposed to be a group of random people that I can be friendly with in real life and make some music, but you won't even give me your phone number. If you want me to contact you, give me your mobile number.

Additionally the format of the ad is hard to read. A simple paragraph will do. Oh, and I'd never con

Fair points there, maybe this is wrong of me but im not looking for people who just want to play. Im looking for people who want to write music and be creative and experiment to create a sound of our own, gig etc.. You label post hardcore as cliche?

Maybe i did close the genre up alot.

I do also like to play with experience musicians but i wouldn't block someone out because they have no experience because i was there once.

I dont feel very happy about putting my number out on the internet to random people. I would give you my number if you had emailed or Private messaged me.

Thanks for commenting.
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Mar 31, 2011,
Quote by smokeysteve22
Fair points there, maybe this is wrong of me but im not looking for people who just want to play. Im looking for people who want to write music and be creative and experiment to create a sound of our own, gig etc.. You label post hardcore as cliche?

Maybe i did close the genre up alot.

I do also like to play with experience musicians but i wouldn't block someone out because they have no experience because i was there once.

I dont feel very happy about putting my number out on the internet to random people. I would give you my number if you had emailed or Private messaged me.

Thanks for commenting.

Sorry, it's Friday. I meant "niche" instead of "cliche".

Instead of a straight out "no experience", just say something like "must be competent on your instrument, own your own gear and have access to transport etc.". This way you'll narrow down the applicants to people who at least know how to play their instrument. You don't have to say anything about "band experience" if it's not relevant.

As for your number on a public site, I've never had any trouble with it. That's just something you'll have to get used to.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Sorry, it's Friday. I meant "niche" instead of "cliche".

Instead of a straight out "no experience", just say something like "must be competent on your instrument, own your own gear and have access to transport etc.". This way you'll narrow down the applicants to people who at least know how to play their instrument. You don't have to say anything about "band experience" if it's not relevant.

As for your number on a public site, I've never had any trouble with it. That's just something you'll have to get used to.

I will take your advice onboard thank you.
Add a picture of a bear. Everyone loves bears.

No but seriously, I don't really have anything to add except that you have great taste in music. Especially Lower Definition
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Add a picture of a bear. Everyone loves bears.

No but seriously, I don't really have anything to add except that you have great taste in music. Especially Lower Definition

JOIN! hahaa. Thanks man
Quote by smokeysteve22
JOIN! hahaa. Thanks man

I totally would but there's oceans between us. And I'm already i'n a band.
I hate my sig
Stupid oceans.... ^

I disagree with Alan about the genre thing. If I saw that ad, I wouldn't reply because I'm not into "progressiveish post hardcore."

That said, I like it when people are specific in their ads. I want to know at least what kind of "rock" they're talking about. I don't want to play Doors, Stones and Eagles. I don't want to play grind-core or black metal or xfunk-jazz-fusion-metalx or whatever else. I'm not going to bother inquiring if you don't tell me what you're doing.

For me, even aside from genre, the deal-breaker for me would be that there is no demo of anything. Sure, the band is just forming, but link me to what the singer and guitarist have done - their previous bands or whatever. It shows a level of commitment to what they are doing and gives me a good idea of what I'm getting into.

The other deal-breaker for me is, like Alan's, the "no experience" thing. I prefer to play with people who know what they are doing and have done it before. I'm not interested in hanging around "training" some 17-year-old (funny, because I spend a lot of time here doing just that... but anyways....) just so I can be in a band with him.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Stupid oceans.... ^

I disagree with Alan about the genre thing. If I saw that ad, I wouldn't reply because I'm not into "progressiveish post hardcore."

That said, I like it when people are specific in their ads. I want to know at least what kind of "rock" they're talking about. I don't want to play Doors, Stones and Eagles. I don't want to play grind-core or black metal or xfunk-jazz-fusion-metalx or whatever else. I'm not going to bother inquiring if you don't tell me what you're doing.

For me, even aside from genre, the deal-breaker for me would be that there is no demo of anything. Sure, the band is just forming, but link me to what the singer and guitarist have done - their previous bands or whatever. It shows a level of commitment to what they are doing and gives me a good idea of what I'm getting into.

The other deal-breaker for me is, like Alan's, the "no experience" thing. I prefer to play with people who know what they are doing and have done it before. I'm not interested in hanging around "training" some 17-year-old (funny, because I spend a lot of time here doing just that... but anyways....) just so I can be in a band with him.

CT

Fair points also man, Thanks for commenting.

'Progressiveish' = Progressive structuring but not too progressive.
I wasn't sure how to word it properly haha. (help?)

I agree about the experience thing also and about the adding some material from the members.

I will update it but had some interest today
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Apr 1, 2011,