Page 1 of 2
I've been recommended these 2 amps to buy. I like the look and sound of the line 6 but I have no idea what the marshall sounds like, which one would you buy? This is just for practicing in my room BTW
I'd buy the vox vt50
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
The Spider and the MG are the two most hated amps on GG&A, but between those two I'd go for the Spider. But since it's just for bedroom practice you could get away with just getting the 15 watter and saving yourself some cash.
Yeah I know, I've been looking for decent amps with effects though, I don't have the cash to buy my own effects so I've been looking at stuff like the Peavy Vypyr and the line 6. I've got an Ibanez RGT42FX if that matters.

I've heard the line 6 is great for getting any sound you want also. They didn't have any Vypyrs in the store so they recommended me the marshal MG50fx but I'm just not sure how good it is.
Of the two if I HAD to choose one I would go with the spyder as well. However IMHO there are better choices for the same money. Vox has some very good offerings in that price range as do peavey and Roland. I would definitely consider other options. The peavey vypyr gets good reviews around here and in my opinion is a great starter/practice amp.
out of those 2 i'd take the spider. however i'd say a vyper if you play metal or a vox VT series if you play anything else
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
The MG is literally the worst amp I've ever played that has been marketed heavily by a company. It's terrible. Period. There's nothing I like about it. The only thing it's decent for is ACDC covers. You could pick any other amp out there and it would be an improvement over the MG. If you're using this amp solely for bedroom practise, just buy a 15-30watt amp and save the rest of your money, which will likely be 100-150 bucks. If you cannot get any other type of amp then the Spider is what I'd recommend.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
You're much better off looking at the Vypyr. If you can afford a tube Vypyr or a Spider Valve, they'd be even better options, if not then the regular Vypyr and Cube are your best options.
Quote by ErnieballJPsig
Yeah I know, I've been looking for decent amps with effects though, I don't have the cash to buy my own effects so I've been looking at stuff like the Peavy Vypyr and the line 6. I've got an Ibanez RGT42FX if that matters.

I've heard the line 6 is great for getting any sound you want also. They didn't have any Vypyrs in the store so they recommended me the marshal MG50fx but I'm just not sure how good it is.

Not to come off as a hater but you're scraping the bottom of the barrel in modeling amps with the spider or MG

Just because the store is trying to sell you what they have on the floor doesn't mean the choices you're being offered are good ones.

Quote by Faux
If its solely for room practice i'd get a lower wattage for one and out of those two i'd choose the spider. However, you can get much better for you money than those two. Much, much better.

For bedroom levels the amps you listed are major over kill get a smaller amp. Then you'll have some money in your gear fund.

IMHO the best modeling amps are in this order

Vox VT+
Peavy Vypyr
Vox VT (this isn't a typo the VT is the older version) you can still get them new in the box and they're very good.
Fender Mustang
Line 6 spider
Marshall mg

EDIT:
Quote by ErnieballJPsig
Are the Vox VTs good for metal?

The Vox VT can easily do metal or any other style you might want to try.

I could go into the details of what the differences are basically more presets and an extra bank of amp models. 33 on the VT+ vs 22 on the original VT.

If you can't get the Vox the Vypyr is good choice as well.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Mar 31, 2011,
I've gotta choose out of anything but the vypyr, I live in Australia and have called pretty much all the stores here and none of them seem to have it. I can order one from America but I'm not sure, apparently it has a different power outlet or something so it won't work with Australian plugs. If I can get that problem fixed I would buy the vypyr.
what other options do you have in the same price range?

and plus 1 to the vox vt50 for a decent modeling amp.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Both the Vox VT50 and the Line 6 Spider IV 75 are $650 australian dollars. After reading reviews I'm almost 100% sure that the Vox will be better for me but I mostly play metal and I heard that the Line 6 has better metal tones or something? But I heard its good for adding you're own pedals to it, so if it doesn't have as good metal tone as the line 6 it will probably end up sounding better once I add pedals right?

This is what I'm looking at.

http://www.ceceres.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=158_160&products_id=860&zenid=a2657d1b5d50e2b76545d6d03624beb3
Quote by gregs1020
what other options do you have in the same price range?

???
Look for a used vot vt xl series, there the high gain version of the vts, and sound wise they blow a vypyr or spider cube or whatever in the range out of the water.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by Willowthewitch
Not to come off as a hater but you're scraping the bottom of the barrel in modeling amps with the spider or MG

Just because the store is trying to sell you what they have on the floor doesn't mean the choices you're being offered are good ones.

For bedroom levels the amps you listed are major over kill get a smaller amp. Then you'll have some money in your gear fund.

Vox VT+
Peavy Vypyr
Vox VT (this isn't a typo the VT is the older version) you can still get them new in the box and they're very good.
Fender Mustang
Line 6 spider
Marshall mg

EDIT:

I could go into the details of what the differences are basically more presets and an extra bank of amp models. 33 on the VT+ vs 22 on the original VT.

Wheres the vetta the hds flextones at in this list lol.
And vts dont handle metal very well at all.

advt-xl series
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
The vox taKes pedals WAYYYY better than the line 6. It does metal pretty great stock. But it does take pedals well.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
I have both a Vox VT, Marshall MG, and a 6505 that everyone praises here. The Vox is pretty good, it's good for a practice amp. The MG sounds good with metal pedals (I use a Metal Muff) but it doesn't have very much distortion when not using a pedal. I like practicing with those 2 amps over the 6505.
OP, like quite a few people have said... Vox is a great place to look.

I hate to admit this because I know I'm going to get flamed for it. But I have a Line 6 Spider IV 75 and I love the thing. It's not the greatest amp in the world, but I got a pretty good deal on it. There are better amps, and there are worse amps. I've never had any issues with mine. It's loud, it's sounds great clean, the models arnt perfect but they are decent. I tried out a few dozen amps and decided on the Spider IV because I got a killer deal, it was the best bang for my buck at the time.

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is if your happy with the amp. If you ask 10 people what amp they like you'll get 10 different answers. There is no right or wrong answer. Treat it the same as buying a guitar, get what you like and forget what everyone else thinks!!!
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at Apr 1, 2011,
Go for a Roland Cube. They're just awesome practice amps.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Cube or Vox VT.

Seriously, you're going to hate your Spider after a year or two. I know I do.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by slipknot_420
Wheres the vetta the hds flextones at in this list lol.
And vts dont handle metal very well at all.

advt-xl series

I also advised getting a much smaller amp than the ones the TS was looking at.

I was recommending smaller modelers. I would have rated the Vypyr as the best but I've changed my mind after using the VT+ series.

I don't want to sound like a Vox rep but the level of versatility has been expanded massively. Vox upped the number of amp models from 22 to 33. They also upped the presets to 99 etc. A VT+ can and does produce tones that the original VT couldn't...

Vetta and Flextones sound very good but they're way more amp than is practical for bedroom levels.

Someone told or the TS assumed they needed a far larger amp than they really needed

Once again take a 420 break
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by Willowthewitch
Vetta and Flextones sound very good but they're way more amp than is practical for bedroom levels.

what? that doesn't make sense.

so if you only play at home all you would EVER need or want is a $199 modeling amp?

i've seen flextones sell used for $200-250 regularly and they easily compare to the vox AD/VT/VT+ amps. and i am a vox fanboi and da5 owner. (in fact i've had it longer than any other amp wtf? i just realized that. )

and the flextones and vettas are 100% SS so bedroom volume levels aren't an issue.

i still would like to know what other amps are in the same price range as the spider and MG but the TS seems to be allergic to answering that question...
Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 1, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020
i still would like to know what other amps are in the same price range as the spider and MG but the TS seems to be allergic to answering that question...

Unless he's getting it used or is getting a killer deal some where. A Spider IV 75 books between $250-$300 and the MG books for around $300ish... but a Spider IV 75 is alot of amp for playing alone in his room

OP, another option would to get a digital interface and some modeling software for your computer. If you're never going to play anywhere but your room it's not a bad option. It lets you practice and record your playing, on the cheap.

Something like this wouldn't be a bad idea to consider. You get the digital interface and modeling softward for $150. If you are intrested in going this route, quite a few companies make both the software and interfaces so you can shop around a bit.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-POD-Studio-UX1-with-POD-Farm-105146328-i1427097.gc
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Quote by Willowthewitch

Vox VT+
Peavy Vypyr
Fender Mustang
Line 6 spider
Marshall mg

EDIT:

The first VT models had 16 amp models. They came in 60 and 120 watts.
The 2nd VT models have 11 amp models. They came in 15, 30, 50, or 100 watts.
The 3rd VTs were the VTxx-XL models that came out not long after the 2nd set.
They were similar to the 2nd set but were more oriented to high gain applications.
Now we have the VT+ models.

If you want a modeling amp, IMO the Vox VTs are the best.
Quote by ErnieballJPsig

The line 6 is great for getting any sound you want, as long as you want it to sound like a beehive on helium. Vypyr or VT50 are far, far better. Spiders and MGs are in my opinion among the worst excuses for amps ever made.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by ErnieballJPsig
Both the Vox VT50 and the Line 6 Spider IV 75 are $650 australian dollars. After reading reviews I'm almost 100% sure that the Vox will be better for me but I mostly play metal and I heard that the Line 6 has better metal tones or something? But I heard its good for adding you're own pedals to it, so if it doesn't have as good metal tone as the line 6 it will probably end up sounding better once I add pedals right?

This is what I'm looking at.

http://www.ceceres.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=158_160&products_id=860&zenid=a2657d1b5d50e2b76545d6d03624beb3

IMO of having the spider for a few years - it has good bedroom metal tones.

Once you push the volume to band practice volumes they are thin and weak sounding. I use mine w/ the Maroon 5 distortion preset, with the gain on 10 and a little tweaking of EQ. It sounds very nice, and everyone I play with agrees (doing Underoath/Alexisonfire/post-hardcore/rock covers).
Quote by TheMooseKnuckle
Unless he's getting it used or is getting a killer deal some where. A Spider IV 75 books between $250-$300 and the MG books for around $300ish... but a Spider IV 75 is alot of amp for playing alone in his room

he's in australia, so the prices are over double that.

plus there may be other amps there, maybe the local shop has something used the TS isn't familiar with.

limiting any amp search to 2 amps isn't a good idea imo. that's what i'm getting at.
Dude, both of your choices are quite possibly some of the worst choices of amplifiers you can possibly get. They both sound like utter shit and you WILL hate either one within a year.

Look into the Peavey Vyper 75w. It's the same price as Line 6's 75w except it sounds less digital and shitty and allows FAR more options than that piece of shit Spider. Plus, it's the exact same price.
I know Im going to get a ton of grief for this but Im going to do it anyway.

I have 2 stories about Spider amps.

My guitar instructor comes to my house for my lesons. Trust me,he's not carrying a tube amp of any kind with him. Its a Spider IV 15 watt. I kind of made some joking comments about it and he was like " really..." He then proceeded to shred a solo that brought a tear to my eye. Ill tell you what he made that amp sound pretty nice, if I say so myself.

My second story. I have a friend of a friend who plays in a local metal band,bars,restarants,stuff like that. I went to see him play last week and they all sounded awesome. Of course I was focusing on the guitar player. He had some nice tone. I thought to myself Id be happy with that tone. After the show I introduced myself and asked about his rig..yup Spider. It was a mic'ed Spider Iv 75 watt. I was blown away. He did agree it doesnt sound great with the master volume to high,but mic'ed...not bad at all. He doesnt want to lug around a bunch of equipment when most people dont care anyway.

Let me end with this. As I was watching this show,not one person said "Hey is that a tube amp" Nope people just enjoying the music. Let be honest here,the Spider I not the best amp around,but its not the worst either. Even my instructor said "why the hell do you want/need a 60 watt tube amp for a bedroom??" I only play in my room strictly for fun. Im not some little kid who doesnt know shit,but Im considering buying one just for fun.

So there go flame away!!
Roland Cube XL and Fender Mustang are about as good as low-end modelling gets atm. One of those.
I own the 120 watt spider 4. Great amp. Go for it. Metal sounds metal with all the different amp models. Clean sounds clean. +1

Lots of effects. Get a pedal board with it. (Highly recommend) Get the shortboard, the express is alright.. but **** it.. save a little more money for it.
Quote by Alex_Mascaro
I own the 120 watt spider 4. Great amp. Go for it. Metal sounds metal with all the different amp models. Clean sounds clean. +1

Lots of effects. Get a pedal board with it. (Highly recommend) Get the shortboard, the express is alright.. but **** it.. save a little more money for it.

no your response is terrible. for like a million reasons.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Page 1 of 2