Hi everyone,

I recently visited a family member who is a guitarist and he helps me learn the guitar when I see him and we practiced together a few months ago. After our time together this trip, he said "I don't think your guitar instructor is pushing you enough." I agree. That being said, I still like my guitar instructor and have been working with him for almost a year. I started with him in April of last year and then I took a two month or so hiatus last summer when I quit because I gave up but then picked it back up. I think I have improved a lot but I still feel like I could be improving more than I am, and I think I really do put my effort in when I practice in between lessons.

I scheduled two trial lessons with other instructors, but I think ultimately I would like to stick with this instructor if he would challenge me more. I don't think the trial lessons would then be a waste of time, I think it will educate me as to what else is out there and changing instructors is a possibility.

My instructor and I exchange emails about lessons and I mentioned in an email that I would like him to challenge me more in my lessons, and I would like to learn more.

I guess I would feel guilty leaving this instructor even if things don't improve.

What would you suggest?
Learn from yesterday, live for today, HOPE for tomorrow.

Courage is grace under pressure.

Don't give up!

Illustrious acts high RAPTURES do infuse, and every conqueror creates a muse.
That's a tough call... but one that falls squarly on your shoulders. Nobody on here will be able to tell you what you "Should do".

Without talking to your instructor it's hard to say. It's possible he's not challenging you enough. It's also possible that he see's areas where he thinks your still fairly weak. So he's trying to help you improve those areas before moving on to more difficult techniques.

Personally I think sending him an email and telling him your concern was a great idea. If you continue to feel like your not being pushed hard enough. I would ask him if there is a reason he's not pushing you harder. Or you can always find a new instructor. Just remember...

"Nobody can teach anything... they can simply show others what they know. - Victor Wooten" It's up to you, to decide to use that information
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
My guitar teacher said something really good this week "nobody can teach you guitar"

edit - oh damn moose just said that
Last edited by mizxou at Apr 2, 2011,
Quote by mizxou
My guitar teacher said something really good this week "nobody can teach you guitar"

edit - oh damn the guy above me just said that

Lol, MooseKnuckle for the win

Seriously though, your instructor sounds like a pretty smart guy!!!
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
A friend of mine is having the same problem with her instructor. She pretty much pays him to prints tabs offline, and then he sits with her while she plays them.

When it comes down to it, the purpose of an instructor is to challenge you, and to help you learn and develop new skills. You're paying them for a service, and like anything, if the service isn't up to par, you don't continue.

Telling him you want to be challenged more was a good idea. But if he doesn't follow through, then you shouldn't stay with him, and you shouldn't feel guilty about it.
Despite the fact that a lot of my lessons resolve around a song my teacher makes it about what goes into the song (technical and theoretical), if you just strait up learn a song you may have a hard time extracting what you want to take from it.

What kind of background does your teacher have? Are the formally trained? There are tons of great self taught players but they might not make the greatest teachers.

I think you did the right thing by speaking up to start. Also make sure you ask questions in your lessons, the answers to these might also help determine if a good mentor/student relationship can be forged