Hello, I have an ESP LTD H 351 NT with an EMG 81 85 combo, I like to play alot of djenty deathcore or really technical metal core, however I do sometimes play blues or country. problem is, EMG's to me feel like a 1 trick pony. and that pony is metal. I dont like how if i want good tone out of my emg 81 i have to raise it all the way.. I sometimes play for my church in the church band so i feel like I would like a guitar with more character. So ive considered selling my H 351 and buying a Blacktop Tele and upgrade the pickups. I have a relative who works at Tom Anderson Guitars so he would sell me a H3+ (Tom Anderson's hottest pickup) and an H1 for the neck for next to nothing. should I consider selling my ESP? Im at a loss on this one and would like to know what you guys would do in this situation. Thanks!
I've played a blacktop tele and it played really nice. sounded great too.

try it out at the shop if you like it then its good to go. alot of it is the settings in your amp too...
What I would recommend is just take out the 85 and put in a really nice full sounding pickup so u get the best of both. Like for my Schecter i have a Blackout in the bridge and a EMG 89R in the neck so i get great cleans and huge distortion whenever i want by just switching pickup positions. It is a good strategy for getting diverse tones out of your guitar
Gear:
Schecter C-1+ custom
Fender Princeton 65
DigiTech RP 1000 multi effects processor
Line 6 Spider 3 75 watt
Honestly I'd just swap the pickups. My EC-1000 has SD's in and sings beautifully on the cleans, with nice tight chugging on the distortion
Smart Pothead and Proud
The thing is, i dont feel like active emg's can do alot outside of metal. and these Tom Anderson pickups have a massive dynamic range and beautiful tone! the other thing is, my 351 is very very nice and i would be devistated if i get a chip or a scratch or ding in it. as with the tele, it would kinda be like whatever because since its a bolt on i can replace parts way easier as opposed to the set thru neck design of my 351
If you're thinking about getting rid of the ESP because it's not versatile enough, I don't know if a Tele is really going to fix that problem. It's more verstile than the ESP, sure, but not as versatile as say a Les Paul or a Strat. All depends on what sound you're going for...

Although I will say that John 5 made me reconsider what you can do with a tele. They definitely aren't one-trick ponies.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
I think you should do it. I had/have the same problem with my Schecter Hellraiser. I bought it 5 years ago when I was playing lots of metallica, avenged sevenfold etc. and I got tired of it about a year ago. Everyone said "it's your amp" but it wasn't. My squier tele has a blacktop-esque set-up with 2 P90s and it's extremely versatile and sounds great. Even though it's a squier the sound is phenomenal and gives me lots of versatility especially coupled with my effects. I'm selling my Hellraiser and ordered a 93 Ibanez s540 which has passive pickups and I expect will have an amazingly diverse amount of tones. I'd say go to a shop and try out a blacktop tele because I'm sure the sound will be great. Lots of twang and bluesiness and still able to give you good distortion. Alternatively, Ibanez are versatile as well especially with their HSH setup
I hate to be, "that guy," but what amp do you play through? It will have infinitely more effect on your blues and country tone than a blues and country guitar.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I play through a line 6 Flextone III so i dont think the amp is the problem because that is a solid amp! and the blacktop tele im considering is a 2 humbucker guitar
Solid state is actually precisely the issue. Metal requires overtonal headroom and blues/country requires punch and presence. Both of those are achieved though tube amplifiers.

I would say that your guitar is very suitable foe the styles, especially if you're just venturing beyond metal. Your hands define the style, not the guitar. A nice, entry to mid-range tube amp would do wonders in the way of getting your desired tone. I'd jump over to GG&A and read the FAQs, and when you've done some research into what you might want, make a suggestion thread and ask questions.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Apr 1, 2011,
Quote by JustRooster
Solid state is actually precisely the issue. Metal requires overtonal headroom and blues/country requires punch and presence. Both of those are achieved though tube amplifiers.

I would say that your guitar is very suitable foe the styles, especially if you're just venturing beyond metal. Your hands define the style, not the guitar. A nice, entry to mid-range tube amp would do wonders in the way of getting your desired tone. I'd jump over to GG&A and read the FAQs, and when you've done some research into what you might want, make a suggestion thread and ask questions.

corret eif im wrong but dont quite a few etal guitarists use solid state...for the fact that theyr not very wa (gives clarit i suose...in the sae w a EMGs do)
Is it just me or was OP doing shots for half an hour then came back to post?
Last edited by geetar_man0 at Apr 2, 2011,
I HATE WHEN PEOPLE ASK IF TELE'S DO METAL. DOES THIS SHAPE DO METAL?! WHAT SHAPE IS BETTER FOR METAL??!

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Quote by geetar_man0
Is it just me or was OP doing shots for half an hour then came back to post?

this.

What the ****, I didn't understand anything he just said. Something about some metal players using solid states. Yeah, sure they do, everyon's gotta start somewhere, we can't all just start off with big tube amps. I'm with JustRooster, entry tube amp, ftw.

Even if you can't do that, just swap out the EMG for a Blackout or something to give some more open tones, or do the 18V mod to make it have some more personality.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I'm going to share my opinion and then get flamed like everyone else that has a different opinion. I played a solid state amp for quite a while before I switched to a tube and everyone said to me what they're saying to you "your EMGs only sound bad because you're playing through a solid state", bullshit. I noticed a huge difference in clean, overdriven and moderate gain (G n' R style) sounds switching to a tube from a solid state but very little difference in sound quality for metal distortion. My passive pickup guitars changed way more than my active pickup guitar. My advice, go to the music store and try some stuff out because that's the only way you'll know for yourself, don't listen to these people on here.