So I'm new to this site and to guitar playing. Started last Monday and have my next lesson this Monday. They are only half an hour but they sure do keep me motivated during the week.

ANYWAY, I know when you start playing your fingers are supposed to hurt...but mine don't hurt. Well they don't hurt much, like right now as I type and put pressure on them I feel a little pinch in my fingers. This doesn't really happen while I practice though. Will it come as I keep practicing day after day?

I'm just worried that I'm not doing something right or that I'm not practicing long enough.

Anyway awesome site you have here!
Lack of pain is a pretty good problem to have, my man.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Depends, there are several factors: string gauge, how long you practice, how hard you press, how much bending you do. And some people have tougher/weaker skin than others. It alone doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong. I wouldn't worry about it, just keep practicing and take advantage of not having sore fingers.
Hey if it doesn't hurt and you're getting the right sounds be happy. Maybe you don't practice enough or maybe you're just lucky

*by the way I think you might just be the newest member on the site as of this moment
Last edited by Necronomicon at Apr 1, 2011,
Lol, consider your self lucky!!!

As long as your pressing hard enough to clearly articulate the notes... you have nothing to worry about
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
dont worry man, my fingers didn't start to hurt till later when I started learning barre chords, or when I would practice for like 5+hrs, which happened some nights when I had nothing else to do haha....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
LOL I know, complaining about not having pain. xD

I try and practice about 30-45 minutes. I'm trying to find time to squeeze in another 15 minutes a day.

Yeah everything sounds pretty decent, for being a beginner anyway LOL. I use to go to a tech high school and my hands are somewhat rough so that's probably it.

LOL thanks for the replies and the welcomes though.

EDIT:
^5 hours?! Maybe I need to start practicing more haha.
no man, what I tell my students 30-45 minutes is enough, obviously more would be better, and I stick by the rule that 2hrs is the perfect amount, but unless this is something you absolutely love 5hrs could kill a man haha... just practice, as long as you see results and find that you are getting beter and you love it then keep going.

keep on rocking and good luck!
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Okay, sounds like good advice. Oh trust me I do love it. I already know how to play the saxophone and taught myself how to play the trumpet. I love playing the saxophone, but learning that was not near as much fun as the guitar is. Thanks.

Oh another quick question, figured i don' need to make another thread about it.

How do you finger a G chord? My teacher gave me a chart and it's

3 fret 6th string
2 fret 5th string
3 fret 2nd string
3 fret 1st string

But on here I've seen it w/o the 3rd fret 2nd string. Is it just an alternate or something?
Last edited by TriviumisEpic at Apr 1, 2011,
they are the same chord... G major is GB&D the two ways you have listed are would look like this if you were to write the notes GBDGDG (320033) and GBDGBG(320003) but yes they are both G major chords, and you can pretty much replace one with the other, they sound almost exactly the same... although I find my self alternating between the two alot when I use G in achord progression.....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Alright sounds good to me hahah. Man I hate practicing chords though...G to C to D to C to G over and over and over again lol. I especially hate the G chord though...both my index and middle finger manage to end up on either the 6 or 5 string. Practice makes perfect though.

And this is the last thing I promise lol

I really like Linkin Park and I've been learning how to play "A Place for My Head" I actually have the basics down...and to my surprise I can play the intro (not fast of course)

Do you guys have any suggestions on other non linkin park songs I could try learning?
Last edited by TriviumisEpic at Apr 1, 2011,
Try searching for threads, there are many on songs to learn. I believe there is also a sticky and you could try the 'Top 100' tabs as well, many of them are leaning towards the beginner side of things.
To be totally honest, if you play for that long at a time then your fingers will toughen up pretty quickly, which in itself will stop them hurting so much.

It took me about 2 years to play without getting any pain from the strings at all, although it does still happen when playing an acoustic song where certain notes are held throughout. But that's anotehr story

Don't complain dude, that's a good thing!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Quote by jkielq91
One of my moto's. If it hurts your doing it wrong.

Not if it relates to the development of callouses.

For most beginners, pressing down on a steel string (particularly if it's a heavy gauge or an acoustic guitar) will be painful, and will often result in blisters. It's perfectly normal, you either put up with it and give your body time to adapt, or you quit.

Those who don't experience pain in their fingertips as beginners are the lucky ones.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
I've been playing for a while and my fingers always hurt after playing a fair bit. say a couple days in a row. it always happens when I'm tracking. it gets to where I can't even play on a keyboard because my fingers hurt too much.

consider yourself lucky.
No pain, no gain? :P
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Quote by makutoid
No pain, no gain? :P
LOL that's what I was worried about at first. But in just 6 days of playing I really feel like I have improved a lot. Of course I'm only working on 3 chords and a pretty easy Linkin Park song, but ya know. :P
Quote by TriviumisEpic
Alright sounds good to me hahah. Man I hate practicing chords though...G to C to D to C to G over and over and over again lol. I especially hate the G chord though...both my index and middle finger manage to end up on either the 6 or 5 string. Practice makes perfect though.

Play the G with your middle, ring, and pinky!
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
I was in the same boat as you when I started playing. I had been working outside for about a year prior to learning the guitar, so my skin had plenty of time to develop enough roughness to where I had zero pain.

My girl can't stand to hold a string down for longer than 10 seconds before she fusses and walks away!