If I like tones of the likes of Tool, Rancid, Megadeth, Rage Against the Machine, Arctic Monkeys, Motörhead or Guns N' Roses (with Duff) what kind of string gauge should I look for? Heavier or lighter? I play with a pick mainly BTW.
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Last edited by Silveroon009 at Apr 1, 2011,
first off, how the hell does arctic monkeys fit in with those other bands tones? but, regardless. go with heavy gauge strings. they sound a bit warmer in standard tuning (i find) and wont sound like shit when you down tune.
Quote by Crux_king
go with heavy gauge strings. they sound a bit warmer in standard tuning (i find) and wont sound like shit when you down tune.

Exactly
Quote by winterXsolstice
gonna say heavier with a trebble tone and learn how to use your fingers

How am I supposed to get a tone like Tool's, Rancid's or Megadeth's with fingers???
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
I think he meant with your fretting hand, seeing as that hand's fingers would need to be stronger to prevent the heavier gauge strings from buzzing
Yeah, I'd tend to say that heavier strings will buzz a little bit more, but you can't hear it through the amp very well. It also depends on how hard you pick.
Quote by winterXsolstice
gonna say heavier with a trebble tone and learn how to use your fingers

That has nothig to do with what he asked.

Heavier gauges you a little more ballsier tone, and I find lighter gauges give a little more high end snap. It depends on the precise tone you want to get.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
That has nothig to do with what he asked.

Heavier gauges you a little more ballsier tone, and I find lighter gauges give a little more high end snap. It depends on the precise tone you want to get.

Very true, and from experience; the gauge is only a slight factor in the tones your wanting. Imo, the type of string including what it';s made of is a bigger factor. What the mod said is true, for Duff era GnR or Green Day stuff: I would/have use steel roundwounds. However, I have been able to achieve everything I wanted using .50-110 nickel rounds. I personaly like the feel of that gauge/material.

<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Quote by Silveroon009
How am I supposed to get a tone like Tool's, Rancid's or Megadeth's with fingers???

Ever heard of EQ'ing?
pinga
if you want a thrashy tone like megadeth or slayer, use a lighter guage round wound strings with a jazz guitar pick