Go through some blues tabs, you can find great licks there and you will surely find some of your own if you play around with various scales. You can take something you already know and improvise
to a look on youtube, theres plenty of licks on there to get you going try blues scale licks or mode licks depending on your style.

tip. start with the pentatonic scale- i dont know your level but its the easiest

rich
Quote by m4rko
Go through some blues tabs, you can find great licks there and you will surely find some of your own if you play around with various scales. You can take something you already know and improvise

this learn some stuff by SVR, santana, metalica, hendrix, and clapton.... these guys all have some simple leads that you can learn then alter to make your own lead licks(I know its not all blues, but it does give you a wide variety of licks to use)....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Why do people assume that this guy wants to play blues?
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Aleksi
Why do people assume that this guy wants to play blues?

doesn't matter if he does or not, there are tons of blues licks in alot of lead guitar. in metal and jazz there are blues licks that are slightly altered to fit the style. plus blues has some of the simplest lead licks out there....

now I have a question for you, what would you tell him to learn for licks?
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
doesn't matter if he does or not, there are tons of blues licks in alot of lead guitar. in metal and jazz there are blues licks that are slightly altered to fit the style. plus blues has some of the simplest lead licks out there....

now I have a question for you, what would you tell him to learn for licks?

I'm not sure what I'd tell him, it depends entirely on what he wants to learn. Personally, I want pretty much nothing to do with blues but I absolutely love the neoclassical sound so something that benefited me was learning patterns such as:
E||-3-0-2-3-5-2-3-5-7-3-5-7-8-5-7-8-10-7-8-10-12-8-10-12-

or
E||-15-12-14-15-14-12-17-14-15-17-15-14-

Obviously you can continue the patterns, adjust them, do them on multiple strings and all sorts and there are more than just those two. I also like these sorts of patterns because they're very easy to play along to a metronome with (something I used to have huge trouble doing and these kinds of patterns got me used to it).
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Aleksi
I'm not sure what I'd tell him, it depends entirely on what he wants to learn. Personally, I want pretty much nothing to do with blues but I absolutely love the neoclassical sound so something that benefited me was learning patterns such as:
E||-3-0-2-3-5-2-3-5-7-3-5-7-8-5-7-8-10-7-8-10-12-8-10-12-

or
E||-15-12-14-15-14-12-17-14-15-17-15-14-

Obviously you can continue the patterns, adjust them, do them on multiple strings and all sorts and there are more than just those two. I also like these sorts of patterns because they're very easy to play along to a metronome with (something I used to have huge trouble doing and these kinds of patterns got me used to it).

well we could have taught him that but it doesnt work on all kinds of music and is much more specific, however blues licks are found in a much broader variety of music.... if TS wanted to learn something specific he should have asked a specific question, but he left it broad so there should be a broad spectrum of answers.

oh btw I'm not trying to prove you wrong, I'm just giving the reasons that I automatically started with the blues.
Quote by Dirk Gently
then learn a couple of hendrix and SVR songs, both of them use a ton of licks in each song, so you'll learn quite a few of them....

also check out clapton, and santana, and try learning a couple of solos by metalica ozzy and pantera...

oh and I alsmost forgot zepplin queen the beatles the doors and aerosmith also have some really interesting licks in them....

I reccommend these songs, the solos have plenty of fun licks that you will be able to apply to your playing:
-stairway to heaven- zepplin
-black dog - zepplin
-we will rock you - queen
-come together - the beatles
-people are strange - the doors
-dream on - aerosmith
-enter sandman - metallica
-fade to black - meatallica
-cemetary gates - pantera
-crazy train - ozzy
-bark at the moon - ozzy
-smooth - santana
-layla - clapton
-sunshine of your love - cream
-all along the watchtower - hendrix
-voodoo child - hendrix
-pride and joy - SVR
-texas flood - SVR

^that should be way more than enough to keep you busy... there are plenty of licks in there and good luck
Quote by Dirk Gently
A guitar lick is an improvised solo, a musical phrase, or a part of a melody.
Here is a collection of transcribed guitar licks, guitar patterns, and guitar riffs. Each transcription is in guitar tablature with standard notation.