I came to you guys because no one knows me so I figure you can give me some honest opinion. My playing is not gonna lie pretty sloppy because Ive practiced sitting down alot lately so a couple of my chords look funky. Something I am wondering is my picking technique good? Also I was wondering what u guys thought about the guitar I wrote for the song, I don't know much about theory at all so is my song lacking theory? or I am not sure how that works.. I have the lyrics/poem written in the details below the video. I tried to match it with the song, but it would have to be spaced out a little bit. I know some of it is repetitive. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Most of all I am wanting to know is what you think of the sound of the song more than anything.

here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvDYS1UlGe4&feature=player_embedded#at=14
Knockoff Fender
83' Peavey Milestone << Favorite
Line 6 Spider IV
Last edited by man_on_the_moon at Apr 1, 2011,
unfortunately I can't watch the video cuz I'm at work, but I can answer one question for you...

is it lacking theory? of course, if you don't know theory then you didn't write it with theory in mind. that being said, it doesn't mean that it is wrong, and it doesn't mean that it doesn't fit some or all the guidelines given as part of theory. it just means that you were not looking at the chords or notes you chose to use from a theoretical perspective, more of a 'I like how this sounds' kind of view on them.

the point of theory is to understand notes and how they relate to eachother and work together to create certian sounds, and you don't need to know that to write a song, you just need a few notes or chords that you like.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
unfortunately I can't watch the video cuz I'm at work, but I can answer one question for you...

is it lacking theory? of course, if you don't know theory then you didn't write it with theory in mind. that being said, it doesn't mean that it is wrong, and it doesn't mean that it doesn't fit some or all the guidelines given as part of theory. it just means that you were not looking at the chords or notes you chose to use from a theoretical perspective, more of a 'I like how this sounds' kind of view on them.

the point of theory is to understand notes and how they relate to eachother and work together to create certian sounds, and you don't need to know that to write a song, you just need a few notes or chords that you like.

thanks alot for clarifying i appreciate it, Im really interested in learning about theory so Im wondering where I should start?
Knockoff Fender
Line 6 Spider IV
musictheory.net is pretty good

and if you check out the columns and lessons here on UG there are some good lessons, just pay attention to the ratings, try learning from the lessons that are rated 8.5 and up...

also if you have questions the Musician Talk forum is a great place to find answers, or ask questions. good luck man, theory will help you out drastically.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Are you holding the pick 'right'? It looks like you're using more the very tip of your index finger and pointing it towards the guitar. I also wouldn't recommend anchoring.

You look at your right hand a fair bit too especially when you're picking, it's more frequent in your other video. Don't look at that hand and get used to knowing where the strings are by habit. This will happen faster if you're not looking.
I liked it. Interesting chord progression. Anyway, I've been playing for about 15 years, and didn't learn anything about theory until last year in a college class. Guess what - a lot of the stuff I had come up with on my own aligned with music theory. If you like the sound of something you've come up with, keep developing it. A lot of times, I think theory can get in the way of innovation - but it's still good to know because you'll learn your instrument better.

Also, that guitar/song is begging for a humbucker pickup...
Quote by krypticguitar87

Music can't "lack" theory, you can describe any music with the correct terminology.

Learning theory is just a way to formalise and arrange the raw materials of music in your head, the more you know and the better you understand it then the better you'll understand a piece of music, whether it's someone else's complete song or something you're currently writing.

What you will find though is that as long as someone listens to enough music they'll actually produce stuff that conforms pretty well to the widely accepted rules of melody, harmony and song construction. Why? Because theory is descriptive, not prescriptive...it doesn't tell you what to do, just gives you a way to describe what you have done. That being the case, if you listen to enough music and learn to play a lot of songs you'll instinctively know how certain things are supposed to sound, you'll know that a major 3rd interval is harmonious and a minor 2nd is discordant because that's what you've been brought up on your whole life...let's face it, just watching Jaws once is enough to tell you the latter.

You won't know those terms and won't know why that's the case, and you'll certainly struggle to explain it to someone else - but as far stringing some tones together, that's what you're wanting and expecting to hear so that's what you're going to be trying to do.

Having said that, the sound quality of your video is so bad I really can't tell what the hell you're playing most of the time. Try re-recording it with less volume and less gain.

Thinking about this I'm moving it to Musician Talk, strictly speaking it belongs in Original Recordings but I reckon the guys in MT are a better bet for answering these questions. I'll leave the redirect so if anybody wants to offer technique pointers too they can find it, having said that Freepower will find it in either forum
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
work on your tone a bit. better recording equipment would help. i liked it except for the breakdown part near the end it kinda dragged on a little. the time changes were interesting from the verse to chorus. you guitar might be a little bit out of tune or your intonation could be off a little but it wasn't that bad. just clean it up some and it'll be a solid piece.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by man_on_the_moon
I came to you guys because no one knows me so I figure you can give me some honest opinion. My playing is not gonna lie pretty sloppy because Ive practiced sitting down alot lately so a couple of my chords look funky. Something I am wondering is my picking technique good? Also I was wondering what u guys thought about the guitar I wrote for the song, I don't know much about theory at all so is my song lacking theory? or I am not sure how that works.. I have the lyrics/poem written in the details below the video. I tried to match it with the song, but it would have to be spaced out a little bit. I know some of it is repetitive. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Most of all I am wanting to know is what you think of the sound of the song more than anything.

here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvDYS1UlGe4&feature=player_embedded#at=14

I think it sounds fine.

There is always more to learn. Don't worry about it, just keep learning, keep playing.... have fun!
shred is gaudy music
Quote by KailM
I liked it. Interesting chord progression. Anyway, I've been playing for about 15 years, and didn't learn anything about theory until last year in a college class. Guess what - a lot of the stuff I had come up with on my own aligned with music theory. If you like the sound of something you've come up with, keep developing it. A lot of times, I think theory can get in the way of innovation - but it's still good to know because you'll learn your instrument better.

Also, that guitar/song is begging for a humbucker pickup...

thank you also interestingly enough I have a guitar with a humbucker actually I just had left it at a friends house but he brought it back over today.
also thanks for the long replies steven seagull and everyone else I appreciate this Ill try again with better equipment soon forsure
Knockoff Fender
Line 6 Spider IV
Last edited by man_on_the_moon at Apr 1, 2011,