Hi! so I've decided that it's time to buy a new guitar and i'm really into les pauls now as my hero's all use les pauls. I'm wanting to gather opinions on the Epiphone les paul custom, the reason I've chosen it is because it's obviously a les paul and it comes in alpine white which i just cannot turn away from.

But my question is that, are there any other les pauls for under ~$1250 Australian dollars that are 'better' than the custom? (preferably in alpine white!) I'll be mostly playing slash/guns n roses/led zep and some heavier stuff. i know most people bag out Epiphones in comparence to Gibsons but if it was that easy of a decision i would go with a Gibson of course, but I dont have like $4000 to spend on the Gibson version.

edit: ignoring the amp for now, i'll probably end up buying a marshall somewhere along the road.
the standars is the same as the custom, just without all the little gold hardware. but everything is the same and its cheaper. i think the standard comes in the alpine white, not too sure, but the alpine white looks the best with all the gold hardware, so yeah.

If i were you and want a nice Gibson aimed sound for cheaper, get a epi LP standard, and put burstbucker pickups in it.
Quote by loltroll
the standars is the same as the custom, just without all the little gold hardware. but everything is the same and its cheaper.

+ 1

Gold hardware tarnishes and fades as the guitar ages, and in my opinion looks crappy after a while. The nickel hardware on the standard will look nice for a lot longer.

Have you looked at used guitars? Here in the states, a new Epi Les Paul Custom goes for about $699. A used Gibson Les Paul Studio goes for about $600 - $750. If you can find one I'd definitely recommend it over the Epiphone. Guitar Center also has a new Gibson Les Paul Studio in two faded finishes (worn brown and faded cherry) that go for $799. I'd also take one of those over the Epiphone...

EDIT: I don't mean to start the Gibson vs. Epiphone argument. I was just pointing out that you don't need $4000 to own an actual Gibson. Personally I'd rather own a lower-end Gibson than a high-end Epiphone. Better woods, better construction, better pickups, etc...
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Last edited by 57Goldtop at Apr 1, 2011,
My Epi Custom is a full on righteous axe, but it took a while to find. Just like MIM Strats, you gotta play around to find your gem.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Well Derringers has: http://www.derringers.com.au/products/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Worn.html

Which is almost in your price range. Not sure how much you can talk it down, but there's a genuine Gibson for Epiphone money, and second hand Studio models definitely fall in that price range.

Not sure how studios stack up to the standards sound and playability wise... but yeah, just don't rush it; do your research and try as much as you can and don't settle till you're fully satisfied (within reason =-P).
Quote by baumaxx1
Well Derringers has: http://www.derringers.com.au/products/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Worn.html

Which is almost in your price range. Not sure how much you can talk it down, but there's a genuine Gibson for Epiphone money, and second hand Studio models definitely fall in that price range.

Not sure how studios stack up to the standards sound and playability wise... but yeah, just don't rush it; do your research and try as much as you can and don't settle till you're fully satisfied (within reason =-P).

Unfortunately that is out of my price range and I wouldn't be able to go that far out >.<
thank you though!

Quote by 57Goldtop
+ 1

Gold hardware tarnishes and fades as the guitar ages, and in my opinion looks crappy after a while. The nickel hardware on the standard will look nice for a lot longer.

Have you looked at used guitars? Here in the states, a new Epi Les Paul Custom goes for about $699. A used Gibson Les Paul Studio goes for about $600 - $750. If you can find one I'd definitely recommend it over the Epiphone. Guitar Center also has a new Gibson Les Paul Studio in two faded finishes (worn brown and faded cherry) that go for $799. I'd also take one of those over the Epiphone...

EDIT: I don't mean to start the Gibson vs. Epiphone argument. I was just pointing out that you don't need $4000 to own an actual Gibson. Personally I'd rather own a lower-end Gibson than a high-end Epiphone. Better woods, better construction, better pickups, etc...

mm yeah, the gold hardware isn't a big thing for me, if i could i would get it without the gold hardware, but i intend to replace the pickups with SD alnico 2 pro's, and i agree a gibson is always better than a epiphone, i would definately consider a gibson studio if i can find one in my price range.

the epiphone lp standard is also an option but of course not as visually appealing to me, watched a cover of stairway to heaven and i personally thought it sounded good, argh so many hard decisions >.<
Quote by dastra
the epiphone lp standard is also an option but of course not as visually appealing to me

If that alpine white LP custom is really calling your name, then that's your answer Don't second guess yourself because of what we say. You're the one who has to play it.

I still recommend checking into some used Gibby Studios, but in the end you have to trust your gut.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
The Epiphone LP Custom is a rip-off. I feel your pain with white Les Pauls, and the Epi Studio comes in white, as does the Gibson. The used Gibson LP Studio is easily your best bet for this situation. Right now on Guitar Center's online used section there's a white one for $559.99- if I had the money right now I'd pull that trigger.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by dastra
Unfortunately that is out of my price range and I wouldn't be able to go that far out >.<
thank you though!

Yeah, but look out for used ones if you don't need to have it new. They will definitely be in your price range.

For example: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-White-/270728911765?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item3f08b35b95

There's one starting at 800 which is a fire-burst too which I noticed... but yeah, I guess you'd need to play something similar in a store and do what you can to ensure it's legit and in good state... otherwise second hand can be a bit of a plunge.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Apr 1, 2011,
Alrighty, one more question, is it possible to changed the vintage tuners to grover tuners on the les paul studio?

Also, thank you all for your replys
Yeah I don't see why not. Tuners are a common mod, and a good luthier/setup specialst will do it.