After taking the advice off someone here I made the decision to get some balls and finally get out and find a band and jam, things are coming pretty quick and I now have a dilemma.

I’ve been given a place in a band playing originals and older covers from the 70’s, they’re great blokes and the standard of the originals is very good, they have a recording session set for later this month and in only 2 practices I’ve come on leaps and bounds. On the plus side, they are top blokes, there is no pressure on me and I feel I could develop at my own pace and they have given me really good feedback and compliments. On the downside, they are a lot older and despite the music they play being good its not really my cup of tea, I don’t think I could ever feel passionate about it but I planned on keeping at it as much to get experience as anything else, I enjoy playing with them.

Anyway I’ve been contacted by another guy more my age who’s looking for a guitarist for his cover band, he has it all sorted and he’s just waiting to start jamming and eventually gig in 3 to 4 months. We’ve spoken on the phone and the covers he plays are pretty mu my cuppa tea (Snow Patrol, Killers, Oasis, KOL..) and I feel more excited about this than were I am.

What’s making this a more of a dilemma than a no brainer is that it’s a 3 piece covers band so obviously just 1 guitar and I think I could struggle playing as a solo guitarist. I have 3 to 4 months to get into shape but it’s a big step up for me. I imagine it’s a lot more difficult play covers as a 3 piece as many of the songs would have 2 guitar parts but I’m hoping with a bit of thought it could be doable?

So basically should I stay or should I go?
well i'd at least jam with the other band first to see if it feels right....

also playing two parts with one guitar is pretty easy... just listen to the songs, start with the rhythm section and see if that alone feels right, if not try the lead... usually during any part where there is singing the rhythm guitar will be enough, and about 98% of the non-musicians in the audience will never even notice that something is missing, and most musicians will give you more props for breaking it down and lining it uup for just one guitar...

when I had only been playing guitar for about 6 months I had entered a competition and played with arms wide open by creed, there are two guitars in that song, so I spent the time and figures out that for the 1st verse I should play the lead then the 2nd verse I played rhythm instead, I also alternated between rhythm and lead during the outro... well I got a standing ovation, and ended up winning first prize, given I was playing in the beginners comp. but still, I was a beginner..... I know that has nothign to really do with your question but I figured I'd share my experience of figureing out how to play two parst with one guitar..
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by Nielsyboy
If anything, atleast do the recording session with the old blokes. You would be quite the asshole if you were to just quit a month before.

And I have three bands and I still manage to find the time. So I don't see your problem.

Fair comment but they have a guitarist lined up for the session before I joined so thats not really an issue although I have been invited to take an active part.

It'll be difficult to split my time tbh, if I have only 3 months I'll need all the time I can get to get the covers sorted.
Do whatever you feel more passionate about, really.. Without a doubt you'll regret being in a band thats not really your cup of tea if you had the opportunity to join another band that suits you more..

As for the single guitar thing, take it as a challenge, if you got 3-4 months before playing gigs, i reckon you'll have plenty of time to get better, as long as you make a good effort, focus on the things you have problems with, one at a time, and perfect them.. If your really passionate about it, it wont be a problem!

Ofcourse you should try it out first see if this other band fits you, and if you guys click, and be sure to leave the other band in a decent way... There is no reason to burn bridges..
first jam with the other band...

then continue with the older band until they have found a guitarist ( if its not too long)...it would be a shame for them to lose an opportunity because the perosn they relied on quit
Do both. It shouldn't take 3-4 straight months to get the songs you need down pat, especially since the stuff you said the cover band is playing seems relatively simple, and they're a cover band! You don't have to practice with them to figure out originals or anything. Stick with the band you're with now, it seems like you'll get a lot more experience and know how out of them, but still do the other on the side, it's not nearly as hard as you think.

Try running 6 or 7 projects/bands at a time, now that can get difficult.
~
"I'm a musician, what did you expect?"

~