Hi,

I recently purchased a "Vox Tonelab LE". After tweaking several presets and setting up new patches i just couldn't manage to get some warm, tube like sound. My Guitar is Fender SRV Signature Stratocaster (with no modificaiton) and amp is Marshall G215RCD. I am connecting Tonelab through amps Input (trying with all output options from Amp1 to Ln2) and through my amps "CD Input" also (with all output options from Amp1 to Ln2) and i just can't get the warm sound. My amp doesn't have a FX loop.
By the way, as a minor problem Sustain of the guitar is too low with tonelab. (With my old boss GT-5 processor with same amp and guitar sustain was fine)

What should i do for getting the warm realistic sound of Tonelab? any comments or help is welcome.
Your amp is the problem here.

For a tone similar to people like SRV (assumng you're into him due to your guitar) you'll need a cranked Fender valve amp or something.
So, why do you think an amp-modelling/multi-FX unit into a solid state practice amp will sound like a tube amp?
because in many forums that i have read ppl that own this "tube including fx unit" use it through computer, PA systems and solid state amps getting the sound that they want and this is already the thing tonelab claims. "Giving tube like sound by the help of tube in it" . thx for the replies btw and will be glad to hear more comments and helps
Quote by fendersrvvox
Hi,

Fender SRV Signature Stratocaster (with no modificaiton) and amp is Marshall G215RCD. I am connecting Tonelab through amps Input (trying with all output options from Amp1 to Ln2) and through my amps "CD Input" also (with all output

I found the problem.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
so Major Sparky can u explain and help more clearly please. U mention about the inputs? or amp?
Like someone already said, you're running a multi fx unit into a solid state amp. Nothing about that setup is going to give you "warm tube like tone." The tube in the tonelab is basically a gimick. It's doing a whole lot of nothing for you tone.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
hehe. maybe.

actually. thing is when i read the comments about tonelab le owners like "sounds ok with computer/pa system/solid state" i'm a lil bit distracted from my crap amp. that's why i'm not getting sure..
Last edited by fendersrvvox at Apr 1, 2011,
The Tonelab still sounds far from a tube amp.
Reading reviews online is useless.
People will always say their amp/guitar/effects-pedal/whatever is the best thing ever because they are so happy about it, no matter if it is a 100$ guitar/amp/whatever, it gets 10/10 points in all categories.
it's not a tube amp. it's a solid state thing? might still be good for some things.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by fendersrvvox
because in many forums that i have read ppl that own this "tube including fx unit" use it through computer, PA systems and solid state amps getting the sound that they want and this is already the thing tonelab claims. "Giving tube like sound by the help of tube in it" . thx for the replies btw and will be glad to hear more comments and helps
Have you tried it through headphones? I've never used this particular multifx, but multifx in general can be hard to tweak.
I used to have a Tonelab SE, and from what I gather, the new versions aren't much different, so my experiences should still apply to the current models, meaning: They don't give you the sound of a tube amp unless you play them through one. Okay, I guess a really nice solid state would do in a pinch - but Marshall's beginner-line of amplifiers doesn't qualify.

The Tonelabs are really sucky if you try them through a full-range system, which is a little odd for a modeller with speaker-simulation. Mine sounded like arse with headphones or going straight into the PA. It sounded very nice even through a cheapo tube-amp like a Valve Junior though. So that's what I recommend you look into.
have you tried running this in front of the amp? thru the cd input seems like an odd choice.
yes monwobobbo. i tried both front amp input and cd input. and both fails. and thanks to other friends sharing their thoughts and comments.
Other than the latest Line 6 Pod hd, eleven rack, and Axe FX, the others miss a lot of that tube sound. As an owner of an HD, even that misses some dynamic feel.
Quote by fendersrvvox
yes monwobobbo. i tried both front amp input and cd input. and both fails. and thanks to other friends sharing their thoughts and comments.

ok just wonderin. what exactly are you trying to do soundwise? perhaps if we knew you might get some more helpful suggestions than your equipment sucks.
ye. i think i like srv sound for clean. and i would like iron maiden and/or malmsteen tone for some distortion and solos. i like differents styles of music
i have a tonelab, i use it for practice with headphones and while it sounds amazing for a headphone amp the tube in it is complete bullshit and i even knew that when i bought it. you could see the bottom of the tube is surrounded in orange led's to make it look like a glowing tube but it should only be slightly glowing thru out out the middle. its so easy to tell that its fake. plus it doesnt even get hot?
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by fendersrvvox
ye. i think i like srv sound for clean. and i would like iron maiden and/or malmsteen tone for some distortion and solos. i like differents styles of music

ok SRV tube amp or nothing you just can't get that sound convincingly otherwise. maiden and malmsteen you can probably get something kinda close if you take the time to find the tones. remember these guys all use really nice equipment so you will be limited by what you have. can't expect to nail those tones. doesn't hurt to try though and you will learn a lot about getting tones that way.
eeehh, ive dialed in a pretttty close SRV tone on my ad100vt, course nothing like a cranked tube
thanks ppl, by the way it would be helpful if any tonelab le user or somebody can detail the "tricks" of maiden and malmsteen tones. like;"malmsteen uses compressor and that's a very important characteristic of his sound"

thanks being newbie to tone adjusting is making me upset