Ok, so i bought a 3.5mm aux patch cable to connect my amp to the line-in port on my sound card for recordings, but there's a horrible background hissing/static noise that i can't seem to get rid of. The sound quality is great apart from the static, which i currently have to EQ out (everything above 11kHz seems to work, but i lose some of the guitar sound too) and a noise gate doesn't help.

I thought about buying a ground loop noise isolator as i suspect it's a ground loop issue between the computer and amp, but it's £20 and i wondered if anyone else had a simpler/cheaper solution or can confirm that this will work?

-----Noob question-----

Also, the aux cable is mono sound and the isolators have stereo input (red and white or black cables), so would it work if i just used one of the colours and ignored the other? I'm guessing that this would just make the sound pan to one side but will there be any change in sound?

Thanks in advance
Periphery, love that shit!
I think you're right on the money with the ground loop problem. If you don't want to spend money on an isolator you can try an plug the amp and computer into different circuits- if you can find them. Or, if you want to sacrifice and audio cable, you can cut the ground from one end of the cable.