Pretty generic to be honest. Tuning to F or some such shit and then playing sweeps harmonized in minor seconds with atonal feedback in the background does not a brutal band make. It took a full 2:30 for the song to get to a part that was worth listening to, whereupon it actually became pretty good, although still on the generic side. My recommendation, which is something that any modern "prog metal" band should take to heart, is to learn to write a "proggy" riff without stopping and starting at random times, and without using the lowest note your guitar can play. Then you'll be progressive.
It's tuned to Drop G. Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion! We wrote our E.P a while ago, the new material is more fluid.

http://sectioned.bandcamp.com/track/knives

There's another song if you want some more perspective on the material.

What exactly is generic about it?

edit: Wrong link
Last edited by PedSectioned at Apr 1, 2011,
Quote by PedSectioned
What exactly is generic about it?

It sounds exactly like every other djent band in the history of the genre. Tell us, what distinguishes your band from the hordes of other Periphery/After the Burial clones?
Imo this sounds nothing like Periphery other than the fact that it was tuned low and it was written over a year ago before this 'djent' craze took off. The textures are different. I love how everyone is quick to pigeonhole bands these days straight away. Look at all the rock bands that derived off each others sound. You don't say they are exactly the same?
Last edited by PedSectioned at Apr 1, 2011,
Quote by PedSectioned
Imo this sounds nothing like Periphery other than the fact that it was tuned low and it was written over a year ago before this 'djent' craze took off. The textures are different. I love how everyone is quick to pigeonhole bands these days straight away. Look at all the rock bands that derived off each others sound. You don't say they are exactly the same?

Well, it's got the heavily-syncopated chugging and the textbook djent guitar tone. And Periphery were around years before the djent craze took off. Yeah, you guys have got some post-rock influence in your sound, but Cloudkicker were doing that years ago too.

At the core, your music isn't really any different from any other djent band, and that's why we're calling it generic. Just because you take some post-rock and throw it on top doesn't mean your band is different.
AC/DC isn't any different from Led Zeppelin. Therefore the music is invalid. Neither of you actually read my first post
Quote by PedSectioned
AC/DC isn't any different from Led Zeppelin. Therefore the music is invalid. Neither of you actually read my first post

That's not really true tbh, Led Zepplin threw alot of different influences in besides just old school rock and blues-LZ combine elements of olde Englise Folk music, Jazz, African and other world music etc. A more apt comparison might be Metallica and Megadeth