Hey, I am a guitar guy who wants to buy a bass, I want spend between three and four hundred. I have an old carvin bass amp. What is a good bass to buy?
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican)
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Music Man Axis Sport
for that budget a squier is a very good choice
but if you want a reply towards your tastes, as the reply before me says, you have to give a bit more info to go on
Almost every guitarist-turned-bassist i've known preffers a narrow string spacing on their bass...

Fender MiM Jazz
Squire VM/CV Jazz
Squire VM Jaguar
Ibanez SR/SRX
SX Jazz
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
It's a good price point. You should be able to find something with good build quality.

5-strings are something to definitely look at so you can get the low music notes. You kind of want that low-D, and then the low-C too. Then you might as well have a bass with the low-B on it.

That way you have the option of keeping the music notes low in pitch. If the guitar player hits a C chord and wants a deep sound, it's way more mammouth to have the bass play a low-C. If you have to go up to get the C, then you lose that deep cinder block sound option.

Since you already play guitar, maybe you are doing some songwriting. The five strings give you sound options.
Last edited by tmcdaniels at Apr 1, 2011,
Quote by Din of Win

Fender MiM Jazz
Squire VM/CV Jazz
Squire VM Jaguar
Ibanez SR/SRX
SX Jazz

This, and I'll add to the list:
used Yamaha BB414/5
Peavey Zodiac BXP
Peavey Grind BXP
Ibanez ATK200