Why are Agile guitars so much cheaper? And do they compare to high end guitars from other companies like Fender, Gretsch, Gibson, etc. I have a deluxe Strat that I paid nearly 1800 for. Am I getting the same quality wood, workmanship, electronics as I would with my Strat?
Someone convince me why I should look at buying one?
They are cheap cause they don't have those big name logo's on the headstock.

Non-name brand guitar kick ass!!!
They are cheap because 1) they are made in China 2) they don't really have a physical store (excluding NH I think) 3) their guitar designs are all rip-offs of existing models/no name brand syndrome - think private label groceries 4) lower quality parts/electronics/wood

You pretty much just summed it up. If you feel your American Strat is worth the $1800+ you shelled out for it, then by all means be happy. But Agile makes a quality guitar at low prices.

You may have to put some elbow grease in and upgrade the electronics yourself to get it to compare to some $1000+ guitars, but everything else I've ever heard has been positive.

Also - I think their true value is in their extended range guitars. Where else can you buy an 8/9 string guitar for under $600?
Last edited by OceansBetweenUs at Apr 1, 2011,
Uhhh... you're getting a pretty good quality Strat when you pay $1800. That probably has better wood and components than most Agiles.

I've never played an Agile but I've read a lot of good things. They seem to be a good lower-cost alternative to the major brands. But I'm not sure I would put them on par with the American-made Gibsons or Fenders. I'm sure there are a few Agile owners out there who would disagree with me though

As far as the price goes, they've positioned themselves as a lower-cost (yet good quality) alternative to the major brands. They cost less because they're trying to reach a different target market than brands like Gibson. I'm assuming the average Agile buyer is someone who doesn't want to spend $2000 on a Gibson, but they want something a little nicer than an Epiphone. That's where an Agile would come in.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
They are cheap because 1) they are made in China 2) they don't really have a physical store (excluding NH I think) 3) their guitar designs are all rip-offs of existing models/no name brand syndrome - think private label groceries 4) lower quality parts/electronics/wood
All bolded text is somehow incorrect or half-true. Only their low end brands such as Douglas and SX are made in China, even the very cheapest Agile's like the $225 AL-2000 is Made in Korea (Go to 1:00 in this video for headstock sticker, or this AL-2000 example page ). That second part is no big deal, just wanted to point out that their New Hampshire facility isn't open to the public, it's just for sending out orders. The third point is that their parts, at least on all the Agile's, are usually of either intermediate quality or better. Grover die cast tuners on all models, which I can vouch for as very stable. Their Les Paul stock pickups and the Cepheus ones on their more metal guitars are much better than many others at their price point. And on the higher end models, you find hardware such as USA Kahler, Hipshot and Tonepros bridges, and Duncan or EMG pickups. The wood is also often of a decent quality, on par with LTD 1000 woods and slightly better than nicer Epiphone woods. I know you're not saying their materials are bad, and that Fenders and Gibsons usually are built with nicer products and craftmanship. Just pointing out a couple falsities, and that Agile really is a decent brand if you don't want to spend about $800+ on a perfectly playable, tourable guitar.
I have 2 SX guitars and one Agile guitar and all 3 are made in Korea. They're pretty good quality guitars, with the only cheap parts being the pickups. I have a MIM Strat and an SX Strat and the sound is identical.
only their low/mid guitars are reasonably priced IMO everything else is only average or over priced for what you get.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb