Hi, I'm new to the forums but I might stick around for a bit, i Need help, i'm new to tube amps, i've been playing guitar for only about a year. and i progressed so much. i'm taking 3 classes each day a week. but i can't decide on an head. I do have a Orange tiny terror, mik, version. but it's somewhat lacking clean headroom, i love the gain though. I run it through a 2x12 cab with some copies v30s.
I'm looking at selling, my terror for a new head. I've been getting offers lately.

My budget is around 500-650$

I play mostly pop-punk / alternative / metal / ( warped tour bands ) like anberlin, sum 41, taking back sunday, hoobastank blink 182, fall out boy, relient k. etc.
I need cleans, distortion. preferably a 2 channel amp.

I'm looking at used amps on ebay & local craigslist.

I'm in a band, we're pop-alternative / punk basically. we're gigging pretty soon, mostly highschools, and i'm not afraid of micing my 2x12. I want a amp with clean, but not fender clean, and a good distortion.

i live around southern bay area, california.

I have a Orange Tiny Terror, and a 2x12 cabinet with v30 copies, Schecter C-1 Classic
pedals: I have ebvp, dd6, korg gt120, bf2, ds2.

I've been recently getting offers, and i've been researching alot lately, and i've seen many marshall jcm 2000s and 900s for the same price of my terror if i sell it used for 450, also someones hitting me up on a carvin legacy 100watt with new jj's in it.

Please, i know, i'm a new person on the forums, but would love some help. thanks.
Get the Marshall JCM 2000. That's my main amp and it has the best clean sound out of any of Marshall's heads. The red channel has great distoriton for punk too. I'm more of an old school classic rock player, but the JCM 2000 can easily pump out sum 41 and blink 182 stuff.
thanks for the reply. i was thinking of getting a dsl 50, would it handle those cleans at band volumes? i've also got offered on an carvin legacy 100w amp, and i heard those cleans are good also. any thoughts? thanks for the reply.
Thank you, well I really want to use my 2x12 cabinet with an head, and I can't try out any of them, because I don't drive yet. I'm trying to sell my tiny terror, or trade it for another head to a person who needs a bedroom amp. I traded my ltd ec 1000, for the terror and all the pedals I have. it was a good deal for me, but me sorry, I did not have a cab at the time, and when I tried it with the cab, it sounded amazing in my bedroom. When I took it out to practice. it's was super loud with the gain and volumes full up. but I don't know since it's a single channel amp, I couldn't switch between the two. and if i set the gain at 3 and the volume all the way up, it barely passes the drummer.
How about the clean headroom?, would it be good enough for band volumes? DSL 100 comparing to a carvin legacy?
Hey man I am in a band just like what you play. Check out the link in my sig. Anyway we use a Mesa Stiletto and a Peavey XXX. We don't do much clean though. But since you like the Orange already, I might steer you toward a tube amp with EL-34s. This is the "British" tube sound you hear from the Orange head you have (and others) as well as Vox, Marshall, etc. The Mesa Stiletto is out of your price range but it also is EL-34s and when we do clean sounds, for recording, that's the amp we use.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Thanks, alot, love this forum. I'll look more into a peavey xxx. either that or a dsl, or the legacy. i'm really hesitate on all. but, forsure. thanks. you don't use cleans much on the peavey xxx? is it that bad? haha.
The XXX would be a good choice - but it'll have more gain than you'll ever need. I'm gonna fanboy it and say JCA50H w/ an OD pedal.

Although for what you want you have a LOT of options for amps. Go to a GC and try amps, thats the easiest way to find what you'll like.
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
The XXX would be a good choice - but it'll have more gain than you'll ever need. I'm gonna fanboy it and say JCA50H w/ an OD pedal.

Although for what you want you have a LOT of options for amps. Go to a GC and try amps, thats the easiest way to find what you'll like.

You REALLY love Jet City don't you?
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by iheartgator
Thanks, alot, love this forum. I'll look more into a peavey xxx. either that or a dsl, or the legacy. i'm really hesitate on all. but, forsure. thanks. you don't use cleans much on the peavey xxx? is it that bad? haha.

EL34s are more of British type tone = Marshall, Vox, Carvin, Orange. And the Mesa Stilleto/Electradyne.

(as mentioned)

6L6 power tubes are considered American type tone = Mesa, B52, Peavey, Fender, etc.

<flameshield> The amps circuit has a lot to do with it too - more so than power tubes.

Honestly, I'm not sure what most of your genre plays so but that might help guide you.

The XXX/JSX have clean channels, that other guy was just saying he doesn't use cleans often. The JSX ships with EL34s but can take 6L6s. The XXX ships with 6L6s but can take EL34s (with a minor modification on the older ones).

The DSLs are OK. Kind of Love/Hate type of amp. They have had some quality issues in the past and some complain that the drive is not to their taste. Def try before you buy. The 900 SLX is the only 900 I would buy.

The Jet Citys are another good option as are the higher end Blackhearts and Blackstars.

Bugera V22 is a cool amp too but not sure how it would work live and they have had quality issues as well.

IMO - stay away from the Marshall Haze, MAs, MGs, etc.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 1, 2011,
Quote by robodude789
hmm maybe a JCM 2000 dsl, or a blackstar ht-5?

I already have the orange tiny terror. it's enough gain, for the type i play, at band volumes, and I heard you can just use a mxr boost for heavier metal.

I just need a 2nd channel amp so I can switch fourth between clean and distortion.
I need a amp with balanced between the two. maybe a eq? might be looking forward to getting one down the road.

I'm going for the sounds of The Fall Of Troy, sorta type sound, with those anberlin, sum 41 cleans. you know? i don't know if it's the british type sound, or american.
Okay, since now no one isn't replying anymore, i'd just maybe go for the Carvin.
I heard the cleans are better than mesa's and marshalls. and the gain sounds just about right.

If anyone else thinks this is a bad thing, lemme know!

Suggestions so far, for a Pop/Rock/Punk/Alternative amp.

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL.
Peavey XXX
Marshall JCM 900
Carvin Legacy VL100