I am 16 and looking into my first motorcycle. Ive narrowed it down to 2 options. One of the newer model ninja 250r, or the yamaha fz6r. I originally wanted the ninja to learn and be safe. But the fz6r seems more suitable because i couldnt imagine going back and forth from school every once in a while on a 250cc when its 300 miles away all highway. I feel a 600cc would fit my needs. I am in no means a stupid kid that wants to ride really fast and i also have about a year and a half of dirtbike experience(250cc). And yes i plan on using all the safety gear all the time.

From personal experience would i be fine with the fz6r which is a more beginner geared 600cc or would it be too powerful?

And yes i am taking the msf course before buying.

Edit: i forgot to mention that im 5'10 200lbs if that make any difference. And im probably strong enough to handle any bike if i drop it or what not
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

There are three places: "where you were", "where you are" and "where you want to be".

Story of my life
Last edited by -Kr0n1c- at Apr 1, 2011,
600 would be more suited for highway riding. 250's are good if you have no prior experience, but if you know what you are doing and can ride a dirtbike, going to a 600 shouldnt be too much of a difference. You just have to get familiar with the bike, because they can take off on you pretty quickly if you dont have the feel for it. I just got my first bike last year, after riding dirtbikes since I was 9 years old. It's a 900 and it was actually very easy to get adjusted to the motorcycle. Just took it around in a parking lot for a bit to get used to the acceleration and handling differences.
By school i mean college which is in the northern part of the state and ive already figured out the insurance and payments, which luckily ive saved up and i can afford. So not too big of a deal
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

There are three places: "where you were", "where you are" and "where you want to be".

Story of my life
I too want to sell my car and get a bike. However, I am 18 and have a bit of sense.

Firstly, DO NOT GET A MOTHER****ING 600CC TO LEARN ON. Bigger =/= when learning. A guy I know got his first bike, a 400, and nearly tore his leg off when he fell off it going at low speeds.

A Ninja would be nice alright, although I'll be starting off very small at a 125. It's just cheaper and safer. A Honda CBR 125r will reach about 140km/h and that's all I'll ever need or want until I get better. Also, only €45 to tax for a year.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

I started riding on a 650cc.

You should be fine. You'll probably want something bigger in a few months if you get the 250cc.
Quote by daytripper75
I started riding on a 650cc.

You should be fine. You'll probably want something bigger in a few months if you get the 250cc.

Thats what i was thinking and im not really sure how long a 4-5 hour highway ride would strain the 250?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Story of my life
It's okay to start on a 600, especially if you're taking the MSF course first. (Good decision) The Ninja could handle highway speeds okay, but you'll probably be running the engine hard. A 600 isn't too much bigger and would work fine. Just make sure you get the feel of it before taking it out on the road.
Does anyone have fz6r or ninja 250 ecperience btw?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Story of my life
Whatever you get, make sure it isn't so big/heavy that you can't muscle it around. If your bike is too heavy learning to ride will be a bitch.