Page 1 of 2
sorry if this has been posted before, i searched but didn't find anything... all the searchbar is good for is finding old threads to bump anyway.

I just thought some of you might find this interesting:

http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/pawnshop/models.php?prodNo=02660

Fender '51

for those of you who don't know, it's a fender reissue of a squier since it was discontinued a few years ago the squier '51 has become quite a sought after guitar that fetches good prices on the used market, sometimes more than they retailed for.

discuss!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
cool.

Would rather a Squier 51 one model though.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
cool.

Would rather a Squier 51 one model though.

yeah - that's the real deal.. this fender is just an imitation

i think it's good that the '51 is back in production but i do think it was the cheapness of the squier that made it what it was - and now this has probably caused the resale value of the squier to drop, too.. people will pay more money for something that says fender than something that says squier...

so there are good points and bad points really.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

ippon is going to be veeeerrrrrry pleased.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I liked the Mustang Special. But man these pickguards are ugly
Misha

Music Man Axis Super Sport
Diezel Einstein 100, Sparrow's Sons 2X12
So does this mean, Fender is to Squier as Epiphone is to Gibson?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Shame that they're being priced at $800. O_o
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Quote by Baconfish
Shame that they're being priced at $800. O_o

that probably means they are better quality than the squier '51s were.

Yeah but then where is the charm?

That was the appeal of the 51 to me.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'd be interested to try one out and see how much of an improvement it is over the squiers. $800 is a bit steep though, I agree that the low price was a part of the appeal of the originals.
Well assuming that they're Mexican built seeing as it's a polyester finish and not urethane that just seems a little high. I know that some things like the CP Jazzies cost that much but a JM also has an arseload of parts in it.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Yeah but then where is the charm?

That was the appeal of the 51 to me.

i agree too - like i said it's a copy, it's never going to be the same as the original

nonetheless.. i stand by my assumption that the build quality will be a lot better than the squiers.. making the guitars a bit more bland tbh

it litteraly looks like someone who had a bunch of strat parts, and a bunch of telecaster parts, and created a guitar....looks good though imo
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
it litteraly looks like someone who had a bunch of strat parts, and a bunch of telecaster parts, and created a guitar....looks good though imo

but now the question is..... is a strelecaster or a telatcaster?
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
if this turns out to be a April Fools Day prank, I will literally blow a fuse. I have been waiting for this for years.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
wow that mustang looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

i tihnk i know what HH fender i want
Quote by kangaxxter
if this turns out to be a April Fools Day prank, I will literally blow a fuse. I have been waiting for this for years.

that'd be so annoying, especially if they made a one-off of all 3 new models just for the photos for the website..

april fools day is so old and tired. we need a new tradition...

Last edited by Blompcube at Apr 1, 2011,
It's not april fools, there are some videos on youtube of people playing them and some european websites are taking preorders on them.

I like it. What excites me more though are the other two guitars in the series. There's a semi-hollow '51 with a bound f-hole and a humbucker in place of the neck single coil which they're calling the '72 and a mustang with two wide range humbuckers. Kind of like pre-modded guitars. The sounds on the youtube clips are really good. I think the 72 could end up being a massively popular model. It sounds like a cross between a Thinline Telecaster at the neck and an SG at the bridge, to my ears.
Yeah definitely not a prank! http://www.musiciansfriend.com/fender-pawnshop

I want that Mustang.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
$800.00 for a Mexican copy of an Indonesian guitar? No thank you. People whine and cry about Gibson and their pricing and to be honest Blender is flat out insulting with the prices on these pieces of imported pawn garbage.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Bhaok
$800.00 for a Mexican copy of an Indonesian guitar? No thank you. People whine and cry about Gibson and their pricing and to be honest Blender is flat out insulting with the prices on these pieces of imported pawn garbage.

hypocrisy much?

go and try one before you judge whether they are worth the money or not. assuming it's overpriced because it's a mexican copy of an indonesian guitar is just as bad as everyone whining about gibson's pricing of models they've never even seen in the flesh let alone tried just because they look a bit weird. it's shallow and silly, no matter what brand you're blindly bashing.. even daisy rock

Damn those are nice looking guitars! But I'm gonna stick with my super-strat
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Quote by Blompcube
hypocrisy much?

go and try one before you judge whether they are worth the money or not. assuming it's overpriced because it's a mexican copy of an indonesian guitar is just as bad as everyone whining about gibson's pricing of models they've never even seen in the flesh let alone tried just because they look a bit weird. it's shallow and silly, no matter what brand you're blindly bashing.. even daisy rock

I can't even find where it says made in Mexico. I have to say, $800 for a Mexican Fender is a little steep, in comparison to their MIM Standards and the Highway One series. I would really like one of these 51's.
Quote by Tom 1.0

exactly. i kinda hope the fender version doesn't strangle the resale value too much, incase someone paid that much for one as an investment

didn't they retail at something silly like £90?

Quote by Tom 1.0
I love that they're pitching it as a rare collector's item that's going to jump in value any day now. I think it's safe to assume that that seller doesn't know the slightest thing about what they're selling.
i think he does, he just thinks that no one else does. and hasnt heard of the pawn shop series
Quote by Blompcube
hypocrisy much?

You need to learn the definition of words before you throw them around Junior. It is a Mexican copy of an Indonesian guitar. It is over priced. 800.00 is too much. I take if from your reply you have no clue what the 51 truly is. So before shooting off your mouth go out and fact find. BTW Daisy Rock makes some nice playing guitars. Better then most Blenders actually.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I thought I only had the Burst and Black left (still unopened boxes), turns out I have another Burst in the closet. Awesome guitars for the $70 close-out price!

I see that the Fender copy is also begging for a tone pot, like the Squier original.
Quote by Bhaok
You need to learn the definition of words before you throw them around Junior. It is a Mexican copy of an Indonesian guitar. It is over priced. 800.00 is too much. I take if from your reply you have no clue what the 51 truly is. So before shooting off your mouth go out and fact find. BTW Daisy Rock makes some nice playing guitars. Better then most Blenders actually.

hypocrite - "a person whose actions belie stated beliefs".

have you played a fender '51? if you have, and think it's overpriced, fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion. if you haven't, then you're doing exactly the same thing you're always complaining about whenever people are complaining about those weird gibson limited runs being overpriced just because they look weird. you're complaining about it being overpriced when you haven't played one, just because it looks the same as a cheaper guitar.

don't complain about people bashing gibson if you're gonna bash fender and call them "blender" basically

Last edited by Blompcube at Apr 2, 2011,
Quote by Ippon

I see that the Fender copy is also begging for a tone pot, like the Squier original.
Nah. The beauty of the 51 and now the 72 is how simple they are. Volume control, one coil split and a blend control. Brilliant Original Telecasters didn't have what we now think of as a tone control and they sounded a lot better than the first ones that did get wired up with a regular tone pot.
Quote by Ippon
Fender Blender Series is actually catchier than Pawn Shop Series! Blending various Fender parts to create a new Fender. I'd hit it, hard.

Isn't that just everything they made under CBS?

If the mustang had a Toronado bridge on it I'd rock it HARD.
Fender doesn't make any $ from used guitar sales. They made this to make money.
Quote by e-taubs
Fender doesn't make any $ from used guitar sales. They made this to make money.

guitar companies make guitars in order to sell them to people and make money from them. problem?

i'd just like to point out that the thread title is open to interpretation - is it sincere or sarcastic? you decide because i don't know

Page 1 of 2