I was looking at a nice yellow MIJ Tele for around $700 on the internet, the headstock looks almost "fake" to me.
Are these guitars comparable to a MIM Fender?
Comparable to MIA.

/Thread.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
If it's a real MIJ, possibly the best quality Fender you could buy.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Degitech BP-80
MXR El Grande Bass Fuzz
Boss Bass Chorus CEB-3
DOD FX91 OD
Traynor Dynabass 200
Much better than any MIA if it's legit.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

SuperLol'd
Are they really comparable to if not better than MIA? I always here people say "Anything other than American made Fenders cannot compare" or the like. Or they bash Oriental made guitars.

Sorry for the thread jack
All you need is yo' fingers and the strings
I'm being serious. I would take a top end MIJ guitar over a top end MIA any ray.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
well im not sure about VS MIA but i have a CIJ jag (the classic player...although i think now they make them in mexico. corect me if im wrong. but mine is def CIJ) and it rocks
Quote by Tom 1.0
I'm being serious. I would take a top end MIJ guitar over a top end MIA any ray.

Same man there amazing guitars
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Quote by LiamP7

i can honestly say iv never seen anything like the back of that headstock on a fender, i am suspicious
I sold my american deluxe for my CIJ. I will probably only own CIJ fenders from here on out.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
in the 80's they were building guitars better than the americans

no one ever says that japanese guitars are crap it's widely accepted that some of the best electric guitars in the world come from japan
It really depends what factory it came from.

Usually MIJ refers to Made in Japan for export, or the American market, while CIJ refers to Crafted in Japan for solely the Japanese market.

This is where it can get confusing. Fender contracted the Japanese FujiGen factory to start building fender's new Japanese line in (correct me if I'm wrong), the early 80's, I think it might have been 81 or 82. These squiers were listed as MIJ, which makes sense, but here's where it gets a little whacky.

In the mid 90's, FujiGen lost their contract with fender japan, and other factories were contracted to produce Squiers. These guitars were listed as CIJ, which if upon reading this, you're probably thinking.. "but why would they list guitars as CIJ, if they aren't solely for the Japanese market?".

Unfortunately, I don't have enough knowledge to give a solid answer, but it does tell us one important thing.
If you have obtained a Squier that dates to the 90's (during the time of this factory transition), you can very easily determine what factory it came from by the term MIJ, or CIJ.
For squiers, MIJ refers to made in Japan during the days of Fuji-Gen (which is considered one of the highest regarded japanese factories in terms of guitar production in Japan)
CIJ refers to guitars that were produced by Tōkai and Dyna Gakki, which took over the Squier line after FujiGen in the mid 90's (96-97) as I stated earlier.

Sorry for the long post.

Hope this clears some things up for those interested.
Last edited by realbebop at Apr 2, 2011,
Fender Japan makes some of the best quality Fenders around, in my experience. Plus they have all the cool models they don't make in America
Matthew 6:33

Uniting the World, One Bridge at a Time.
Quote by jesus=dinosaur
i can honestly say iv never seen anything like the back of that headstock on a fender, i am suspicious

It's an "artist" series based off of a character in a manga who plays a telecaster. There's also a Mustang based on the one he plays. It's a legit MIJ tele from Fender.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!
Quote by Fantum1337
It's an "artist" series based off of a character in a manga who plays a telecaster. There's also a Mustang based on the one he plays. It's a legit MIJ tele from Fender.

Yukio from BECK, right? That Mustang was freaking beautiful

Quote by Bridge_H
Yukio from BECK, right? That Mustang was freaking beautiful

Yep. Occasionally you can find them used on ebay in pretty nice condition for around $2500. Which isn't bad for a vintage guitar, lol

Sorry for thread jack...
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!
Fender Japan sells the same model Mustang for about $1000, give or take $100 if you buy off eBay. The Mustang 73/CO. I reallyreally want one XD

Yeah, but I'm the person who'd buy the vintage guitar just to say I had a vintage guitar, lol
But to find the original 1969 mustang in competition orange is extremely rare.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Quote by jesus=dinosaur
That's a special limited run. From the description:
Fender Japan Telecaster TL68-BECK Aged Blonde (ABD) BECK is one of the most popular Manga in Japan. This guitar is a Koyuki (a leading character of BECK) model.

Also, Ishibashi Music is pretty reputable.

Wow, and I thought it was strange that Gibson made a Dethklok explorer, but Fender has already made guitars for fictional characters.