I've made a topic before on this, but responses were all across the board.

What I'm wondering is if you play guitar for a long period of time, is the reduced sensitivity in your fretting hand a PERMANENT thing, even AFTER you stop playing guitar? I have read youtube comments (however credible that is, lol) that people say they have lost their sensitivity permanently, and I don't want that to happen to me. I have played guitar for almost 3 months now and the loss in sensitivity has had some effects. When I type my left hand for some reason fumbles with letters a lot. It also has had effect on romantic situations in which touch is vital.

This is a big deal for me, actually. My sister is blind and reads braille with her hands I can relate to how important touch is.

I would test this myself by biting off the calluses or stopping the guitar but since it has taken so long to get these, I figured I would ask you guys before making any decisions. I don't want to get rid of my calluses only to realize that losing the sensitivity is only a myth, and I also don't want to continue to play and find out one day that I accidentally lost the feeling in my fingertips because of guitar.

Check your fretting hand sensitivity right now. Is there a difference in sensitivity difference than your strumming hand? What is the longest you have gone without playing the guitar? During that time can you try and remember if you had regained full sensitivity in your fretting hand?

EDIT: Include these answers in your post if possible, thanks.
Last edited by jra64 at Apr 1, 2011,
I'd say you can never lose it 100% but to some extent it may be true since the callouses actually is thickend skin and it may take more pressure on them before you actualy register the touch
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
well i play electric guitar and at first i began to develop calluses and i aimed to do so using a finger exerciser and normal playing. Unfortunately, last summer a broke my left arm and my calluses deteriorated, after working to improve my physical skills i found that my calluses never came back and yet i play just as well if not better. I guess i learned how to play with as minimum pressure as possible. But i don't know how it applies to acoustic guitar. Since you've only been playing for 3 months i imagine its a starter guitar which normally isn't set up well and has higher action. more expensive guitar have lower action and do not require as much effort from the fingers
@backtothe70s How long have you been playing? What is the longest you have gone without playing the guitar? Did the sensation ever come back?

@M3lodeath I'm not talking about gaining calluses, I'm actually talking about LOSING them or regaining full sensitivity in your fretting hand.
The doctor once tried to draw some blood from one of my callused finger and not only did she have to jam it in there, but it also hurt pretty bad. Now I have to ask for my right hand.
In recent years, the longest I've gone without playing guitar has been a couple months when I injured my elbow. I think I remember my fingertips regaining all their sensitivity. I was surprised, however, to find that I built my callouses back quickly--more quickly, I think, than if I had never played guitar (based on how incredibly long it takes my beginning students to build callouses).
Didn't you already make a thread on this a few weeks ago?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.