Hello.

I'm 16 in May and would like a job. I'm still doing school so it would only be a weekend thing. There is a local recording studio one of my older mates works at, I'm pondering on if I should try and get a job there.

How would I go about doing that? I'm retarded and don't know anything to do with jobs.

And if I did get it, what sort of things would they make me do? Would it all be cleaning and making tea? Or would I get to record anything paha? Its obviously not a big place, its just down the end of an alleyway in my town, its fairly unpopular.

Thaaanks.
Quote by Jimmy Blue

How would I go about doing that? I'm retarded and don't know anything to do with jobs.

Check to see if there's any programs available from your community for people with special needs.
Quote by Jimmy Blue

And if I did get it, what sort of things would they make me do? Would it all be cleaning and making tea? Or would I get to record anything paha? Its obviously not a big place, its just down the end of an alleyway in my town, its fairly unpopular.

Thaaanks.

Hey, just a heads up, if you don't know anything about where you're going to work, especially when your job is such refined profession such as audio engineering, you aren't going to get it.

If you want to work in a recording studio, you need to get a degree in audio engineering or music production in some vocational school.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by metaldud536
Check to see if there's any programs available from your community for people with special needs.

hehe...
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Lots O' FX
There's a guy named, I shit you not, Hunter Goldhammer. I have never met him, I only heard his name over the PA, but I assume he's a dwarf paladin.

Quote by skwelcher
I'm like the real life version of the socially awkward penguin.
Finish high school first with a crappy part time job like everyone else. Then if your interested in working at a recording studio take an Audio Engineering course at college. After that you might be qualified to work there.
Quote by Wikipedia.org
These nouns are often used with a form of "to be" rather than "to have," e.g., "he is pwnage" rather than "he has pwnage". Either is a more emphatic way of expressing the simpler "he pwns,"
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Hey, just a heads up, if you don't know anything about where you're going to work, especially when your job is such refined profession such as audio engineering, you aren't going to get it.

If you want to work in a recording studio, you need to get a degree in audio engineering or music production in some vocational school.

And even then you'll have a lot of talented people to contend with.

Even without a recession it's a real struggle.
Quote by Jimmy Blue
Hello.

I'm 16 in May and would like a job. I'm still doing school so it would only be a weekend thing. There is a local recording studio one of my older mates works at, I'm pondering on if I should try and get a job there.

Thaaanks.

Lolwut
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
i actually did go to school for this...it was a total waste of time :/ even "entry level" positions that i found require 5 years of experience...
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Have you thought of just going in and saying your the new intern?
you're a stone fox
Quote by Jimmy Blue
fu

thats not a very nice way to say thank you for someone trying to help you. SHAME ON YOU!
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

How about actually doing something rather than asking everyone here questions?
I find it really hard they would actually have you as a employe even if it's a close friend who works there. you could however, ask if you could tag along for 2 weeks or so just to learn and see how it is and maybe later actually study it closer if you have an interest for it. otherwise it will not even be teamaking.
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by Jimmy Blue
Hello.

Thaaanks.

No, you probably will not be allowed to record anything. What you want to do is find the manager and tell him that you're trying to get into the recording industry from the ground up, and that you are willing to do anything they need. If you are getting into the industry without any training, then you are essentially just a bitch until someone takes a liking to you and lets you start assisting. The only job you are likely to get is as a runner or janitor. A runner is a person who hangs around and does whatever engineers/artists ask them to do. Ie, getting coffee, getting food, cigarettes, running to the local music shop, and (possibly) finding other less reputable items.
Quote by albinokrikit
i actually did go to school for this...it was a total waste of time :/ even "entry level" positions that i found require 5 years of experience...

No shit. You need to either know people or pay your dues as drone.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Last edited by Vornik at Apr 1, 2011,
"Hey I asked you UG and they said I should apply here cause im retarded"

or ya know you could try "I was wondering if you were hiring by any chance?"
Quote by Thrill-house

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Its not a big studio, shitty little bands work there :p

My mate works there without any qualifications, and I've been going to Leeds Music Collage for the last 2 years once a week, so I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to audio engineering (well, as much as I'd need to help around)
Quote by Vornik
No, you probably will not be allowed to record anything. What you want to do is find the manager and tell him that you're trying to get into the recording industry from the ground up, and that you are willing to do anything they need. If you are getting into the industry without any training, then you are essentially just a bitch until someone takes a liking to you and lets you start assisting. The only job you are likely to get is as a runner or janitor. A runner is a person who hangs around and does whatever engineers/artists ask them to do. Ie, getting coffee, getting food, cigarettes, running to the local music shop, and (possibly) finding other less reputable items.

Thanks
Quote by Jimmy Blue
Its not a big studio, shitty little bands work there :p

My mate works there without any qualifications, and I've been going to Leeds Music Collage for the last 2 years once a week, so I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to audio engineering (well, as much as I'd need to help around)

Well, maybe it'll help you, but it probably wont. If you have knowledge of mic position numbering and placement, amp placement, mic varieties, how to operate a soundboard, room acoustics, bass acoustics, etc... that's a start. Then ideally, you'd already have experience in a studio. So, you'll have to make it evident that you want to get your foot in the door.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by Vornik

This, but, as long as you can get into the field, then it'll open doors for you, you have to start little and work your way up from nothing.

Just getting into the field is the hardest part, but once your in, then it'll be easier to learn and get another job in the same field.
God dammit why does every UGer think his job has to revolve around music? Open up your options a little, pick something totally unrelated to music so you don't end up a 1-dimensional person.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
You should also tell them that you plan on going to college for audio engineering after you graduate (even if you don't, though, if you want to pursue this as a career, you should).
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Quote by rgrockr
God dammit why does every UGer think his job has to revolve around music? Open up your options a little, pick something totally unrelated to music so you don't end up a 1-dimensional person.

What the **** did I just read?
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Quote by Vornik
What the **** did I just read?

He's got a point. There are a lot of threads related to jobs involving music, and most of the time they have almost no idea what they're getting into, they just want a job in music. It is best to pursue multiple passions and careers, because you can branch out more, and are more likely to end up getting a job you actually want. Of course it is possible if you work your ass off to get the job you want, but most people don't realise how hard it really is and give up when they don't have immediate success.

OT: Just fill out an application form, or ask if they're hiring. If you've got a friend who already works there, that's a huge advantage. If it's a small studio, chances are they will only have jobs available that require more knowledge and experience, something you seem to lack. But hey, give it a shot, it's worth a try.
Quote by Jimmy Blue
Hello.

Thaaanks.

I wouldn't go for a job. You're much more likely to get a foot in the door with an internship - they don't have to worry about cash, and you (mostly) don't have to worry about screwing up and getting fired... unless you break something expensive, in which case I suggest that you run as fast as you can. Hell hath no fury like an angry engineer.

How do I know this? Because I'm 17, and I had a full time internship at a local studio over the summer last year. It was extremely rewarding, and not having it be a job is a great way to make contacts and get a foot in the door so that if you do want to do this for a living, you have something to put on your resume and people to get advice from.

Here's what I did:
-Walk into local music shop
-Ask the guy at the cash register if he knows where the place is
-Get the response: "Why don't you ask the owner? He's standing right behind you."
-Ask the owner who happened to be standing right behind me if he was willing to take on an intern
-Email a resume with a cover letter
-Pray

As for work: My internship ranged from watering the piano (don't ask), putting stuff away, and doing coffee runs to full, hands on training and an extremely detailed class from the pros. If they let you sit in on sessions, my advice is to sit down and shut up. If you have a suggestion, make it to the engineer in private after the session is over. Just because I happened to get one of my ideas on the record doesn't mean that I gained any popularity from opening up my mouth.

Also: have a resume. I guarantee you have enough to put on one. If you PM me I can send you a redacted version of mine to give you some idea of how to format one and what to put on it.

Finally, prepare for rejection. This stuff is hard, but fulfilling. Good luck!
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Last edited by FrustratedRocka at Apr 1, 2011,