I've been playing for about 4 years now, I took lessons from a great teacher but he didn't actually do very much except give me songs to play, never explained techniques or anything. I had to cancel those lessons for a reason completely unrelated to the above, and my ESP's floyd rose screws stripped so decided to just buy a whole new one. So while I'm waiting for that for 2 weeks (it hasn't been working for probably a month now, so I've probably forgotten most of what I've learned)I was thinking, holy shit for having played this long I really really suck. I practice from the time I get home, to the time I sleep, then the time I wake up to the time I have to leave. I've never gotten any better, if I keep practicing one song for a month I can get pretty OK at it, but I can't do anything normal people can do. I look at music or a tab and it takes me forever to learn it, almost everyone I know just looks at it and starts playing perfectly right away. Granted those people have been playing for more than 10 years, but I'd still think I could at least play it, I can't even play half the speed most of the time.

I have a horrible sense of timing, I guess that's part of it. How can I make it better?
And how do I get better faster than... no improvement in 3 years I guess?
What song did you learn? maybe your learning music that doesn't suit your style
I've learned a billion songs. From Good Riddance - Green Day, to Turncoat - Anti-Flag, to Stadium Arcadium - RHCP.
You might be trying to learn something to advanced for your abilities. In addition, you might want to re-evaluate the *way* you practice instead of practicing for 6 hours a day (not that thats a bad thing). If you practice that much and see no improvement, you are not practicing efficiently enough.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
The best advice I can offer is to look for another teacher

When I first started playing I would practice as much as you do but it was only after a year or two when I got a guitar teacher that my playing really noticably improved. Speaking to someone with experience who can see exactly how you play and put it into perpective can help you focus on what needs improvement. Look for someone with a similar style to the music you like too as it can be a great incentive if you really enjoy the practice between lessons

Other than that computer programs like Guitar Pro or Powertab can be great for reading tabs but with the option of playing back the music to help with timings, as well as good for song-writing and gaining ideas of song structures

Again if timing seems to be a problem a metronome is a great place to start just playing to the click of the beat until it becomes second nature

Hope this is of some help to you
So **** you, **** you as well, you ****ing hurt me, you can all go straight to hell
if you want to get better you have to pick stuff thats out of your comfort zone and really work at it, for me i noticed a considerable improvement cause of this, after i learned the three songs
snow hey oh - rhcp,
helicopter - bloc party,
and plug in baby- muse in particular i noticed i improved also i work through grade books on my own, these tend to be just out my comfort zone as well and they help me get better.
just keep working at it though to try and get good technique - you should try and play the songs you pick well though even if they seem too hard.

Hope thats some help
your teacher didn't do you any favors by using that method. you can't really get better if you really don't know what you are doing and why to begin with. i hate the here's a song method and don't teach that way myself. i know when players first start they want to play songs immediately but then end up like you when they don't really know what they are doing. there is a difference in learning to play the guitar and just learning a song. if you know how to play the guitar the songs will be much easier for you to figure out just by listening to them without tab etc. find a teacher that will teach you the basics (at least) of music theory and be able to explain why a guitarist choose to do things in the songs. in the long run you wil be much happier and improve. remember that while playing others music is fun playing your own is much more satisfying.
Do you ever practice scales, alternate picking, arpeggios, polyrhythmic songs, etc?
If not, you should probably start doing that. Its the quickest way to get good - if that bores you, then find songs that include those things, and get good at the trickiest parts.

As for the timing, practice to the beat of a song you're learning or somesuch. If you have Guitar Pro it'll make this a lot easier.

You'll find you're not doing something right when it comes to practice, some kind of structure is needed.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Quote by rhcp4ever77
I've been playing for about 4 years now, I took lessons from a great teacher but he didn't actually do very much except give me songs to play, never explained techniques or anything. I had to cancel those lessons for a reason completely unrelated to the above, and my ESP's floyd rose screws stripped so decided to just buy a whole new one. So while I'm waiting for that for 2 weeks (it hasn't been working for probably a month now, so I've probably forgotten most of what I've learned)I was thinking, holy shit for having played this long I really really suck. I practice from the time I get home, to the time I sleep, then the time I wake up to the time I have to leave. I've never gotten any better, if I keep practicing one song for a month I can get pretty OK at it, but I can't do anything normal people can do. I look at music or a tab and it takes me forever to learn it, almost everyone I know just looks at it and starts playing perfectly right away. Granted those people have been playing for more than 10 years, but I'd still think I could at least play it, I can't even play half the speed most of the time.

I have a horrible sense of timing, I guess that's part of it. How can I make it better?
And how do I get better faster than... no improvement in 3 years I guess?

This is not true. A teacher who does that is not a teacher, they are a trainer. The difference is subtle but it does exist

Bullshit. You have improved, you're just not where you want to be and you're not perceiving the improvements you have made because they're too gradual for you to see. Like aging, you don't notice yourself aging because you see it all the time but someone who hasn't seen you for years will tell you how much you've changed.

Now, I'm going to tell you the truth: you're not practicing well enough. Pure brute force time practice isn't enough, you need to practice properly. If you don't practice properly then all the time in the world won't make enough difference.

Head to the technique forum and read the stickies, watch Freepower's youtube videos and see what you think.

Edit: Also the good news: by this yardstick... well all fucking suck
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Apr 1, 2011,
Your expectations are way to high maybe. Everyone learns things at a different pace. Someone might be able to learn something in a day, and the same thing might take someone a week to learn. Thinking your not good enough, or comparing yourself to others will only hurt you.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
I feel you should stop being so hard on yourself, you must've improved compared to the old years. You just need to sit down, write down your weak points in guitar, and actually work on it slowly. After all, what's the rush? You may practice 8 hours, but how good is the quality of the practice session? Practice sessions broken down to shorter sessions are much better than going all the way through several hours.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Play for fun and play and learn with others. The technique will come.

I never had a teacher. I still have a ways to go but after 3 and a half years, I'm decently happy with my progress
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
1. Guitar pro

2.better teacher

3. Start recording yourself
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's