I'm not really sure how to explain this. Whenever I attempt to play something, depending on how many strings i have to push down and how far apart they are, sometimes the strings wont push down far enough, and ill only get this really crappy sound out of the string, that lasts like 1\4 of a second, sort of like laying your hand across the strings and trying to play them. I don't know if its possibly the strings are bad, the guitar isnt the right kind for me, or if im just not pressing down hard enough. Sometimes i have to put so much pressure down to hold the 3 bottom strings, that after just a few seconds my fingers are in pain. Any idea on what to do to fix this, or anyone had a similiar problem?
Are you playing an acoustic? Even so, the factors here could be guitar action, string gauge, and/or neck bow. It seems obvious the strings may be too thick for the amount of tension you're getting.
Quote by Kortez3000
the factors here could be guitar action, string gauge, and/or neck bow.

also lack of experience

are you just beginning learning to play?
Yes, I'm playing an acoustic. And yes i'm just beginning to play, but even then I can't seem to do this chord at all, which seems fairly easy. My fingers will easily go into position, but they cant put enough pressure down on the strings to make them play correctly?

{e| |----------------|
{B| |----5-----5-----|
{G| |----5-5---5---5-|
{D| |--5-------5-----|
{A| |3-------3-------|
{E| |----------------|

Thats what i'm trying to play, The A sounds fine, D sounds fine, G and B make almost no sound, and e makes a slight sound, but not nearly what it needs to.
Try fretting the string just behind the fret,and practice will build the good old callusses.
Quote by Kortez3000
In that case TS, you could play chromatic scales to gain finger strength.

No, TS should just keep practicing the chords he's trying to play. Why would direct someone to a pretty useless lead-based exercise when right now they can barely play anything anyway?

TS: your fingers will hurt for a while until you build calluses and finger strength, you just need to power through and get it over with because everyone has to go through it to get better.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Apr 1, 2011,
practice is a big thing and proper fretting technique how your holding the guitar and how ur fingers are positioned also string gauge which was mentioned by kortez just starting out maby u should try lighter gauge strings
Well i'm not so worried about the pain, and i'm awaiting calluses lol. Just annoyed with trying to press down as hard as i can on these notes and they still dont sound normal.
Quote by ironwall90
Well i'm not so worried about the pain, and i'm awaiting calluses lol. Just annoyed with trying to press down as hard as i can on these notes and they still dont sound normal.

It's fine dude, you'll get there as you get used to the instrument and your fingers develop the strength they need to do their job. Just don't rush anything and you'll be fine

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Trust me i had the same problem when i started... honestly it doesnt matter if the action is really high, eventually your fingers will adjust...it just takes practice

plus, if the actions really high your fingers will just get really strong, trust me its a good thing
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No, TS should just keep practicing the chords he's trying to play. Why would direct someone to a pretty useless lead-based exercise when right now they can barely play anything anyway?

Well ain't you an asshole.
Whether or not he's an asshole has nothing to do with the fact that he made a good point. Sticking with the chords means they're developing finger strength, knowledge of chords, and playing something more interesting than chromatic runs as opposed to just developing finger strength with chromatics.

TS: As your fingers strengthen, remember that you won't have to press down with all your strength! Gotta get there first though
Quote by Kortez3000

he is, but he's a correct asshole
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Three things - make sure your thumb is behind the neck, roughly opposite your middle finger - this is what your fingers press down against and it helps you reach all the notes in the chord.

Press with the tips of your fingers - the first finger can flat to barre or mute but it should still be almost on its tip. You may need to trim your nails.

Third and final thing - press as close to the fret as possible, this makes a massive difference to how much pressure is required.

If you're doing all that, just keep at it and develop callouses and finger strength.

Well, ain't you sinking to his level...
It saddens me that you two agree, I didn't think I was being an arsehole

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It saddens me that you two agree, I didn't think I was being an arsehole

well know you know...don't do it again
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
well know you know...don't do it again

Yes sir

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Yes sir

and don't call me sir...it makes me feel old
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
and don't call me sir...it makes me feel old

In the process of finding out how old you actually are... I've found that it seems we share a birthday Besides, you *are* old

Quote by Freepower
Besides, you're a motherflippin' GENERAL zaph.

If you want you can pull legion rank on me and I'll ban Mark.

Don't tell me things like that man, that's dangerous; I might go mad with power and stuff

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.