I've looked and searched all over the net, to try to understand Scales on the Guitar.. I believe I'm CLOSE to understanding them, and I've tried to keep myself from making a Thread about it, but I've come to the conclusion that I need to just ask for help..

Ok first off, I understand how Scales work, I play a little Piano, so figuring out the Scales notes aren't a problem, I understand that part.

I also understand how to relate the notes of a Piano to the Fretboard, (One fret, half step.. Two Frets, Whole step.. )

With that understanding... I'm still not sure if I'm doing it properly? I've tried to play the Scales out myself, without using any kind of Diagram, just my Brain & A little help from my Piano's keyboard, as a way to guide me on the Fretboard, but when I go to see how other people do it, it's just different, for instance.. I'm going to try to Tab out the C Minor Scale on Guitar, I know there's different ways/patterns to play it along the Fretboard, but this is what I came up with (Bare with me, my tabbing skills are.. Bleh)

E|--------------------
B|-----------------------------------1----
G|-----------------------1--3-----
D|--------------3---5-----
A|---3--5--6-------------
E|--------------------

Would that be one of the correct ways, to play a C Minor scale? .. That's what I came up with, and it sounds correct, and the notes coincide with the Piano.. But I'm just not sure if I'm doing it properly? I was watching a Video (I hate videos..) Which showed the C minor started at Fret 1 of the Low E (6th string) But that would be an F, wouldn't it?

I'm one to try and figure things out for myself, since we have the internet as a huge resource, before asking questions.. But I'm pretty stumped.. I don't want to continue doing it a certain way, and gain bad habits, when I could stop and do it the right way from the get go..

I want to learn Scales to better my understanding of the Guitar.. Playing Chords is cool and all, but now that I know a lot of Chords, I'd like to move on to the next step, and this seems to be the next logical step..

I'd get a teacher for this sort of thing.. But money is low

Thanks, any help is appreciated!
Last edited by Osciller at Apr 1, 2011,
Yeah those are the right notes. You have C D Eb F G Ab Bb. It's more practical to play the Ab on the 4th string with the F and G, and the repeated root, C, on the 3rd string with the Bb, but you have the right notes.

As for that video: It still has all the notes from the scale (C D Eb F G Ab Bb), right? The reason it starts on the 6th string (and goes up to the 1st string, I presume) is because it intends to show you a more extended view of the scale. You never want to confine yourself to a one-octave range for a scale (like in your tab). You should be aware that those notes all occur multiple times across the fretboard.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Yeah those are the right notes. You have C D Eb F G Ab Bb. It's more practical to play the Ab on the 4th string with the F and G, and the repeated root, C, on the 3rd string with the Bb, but you have the right notes.

As for that video: It still has all the notes from the scale (C D Eb F G Ab Bb), right? The reason it starts on the 6th string (and goes up to the 1st string, I presume) is because it intends to show you a more extended view of the scale. You never want to confine yourself to a one-octave range for a scale (like in your tab). You should be aware that those notes all occur multiple times across the fretboard.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I'm aware that you can move up and down the Fretboard, and those notes will occur multiple times, just in different octaves.

When it comes to that video, I believe it contained all of the notes for that scale, but it started on the First Fret of the 6th string, that would be an F note.. The video was for a C Minor scale, you can't start a C Minor, on an F note? If I'm not mistaken.. I may be wrong. It just confused me, but I'm sure I'll get a grasp on this stuff soon!

This is the video I'm referring too, I just happened upon it while browsing, and it confused me D; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHPNTYHTntE The reason I hate videos....

When it comes to learning how to take these scales up and down the Fretboard, how do I go about that? Should I figure them out myself, and pray that they're right.. Or follow some sort of Pattern, or Diagram? If you, or any one else could elaborate on this, I would highly appreciate it!

Thanks, Os.
Last edited by Osciller at Apr 1, 2011,
First of all, that's a terrible lesson. He's not explaining the C minor scale, that's the C minor pentatonic scale.

But you do need to realize that a scale doesn't have a specific start/end note. The notes can be played in any order, as long as the notes fit into the scale. For example, his usage of the C minor pentatonic was fine, you can start on F and end on G if you want. The most important part of that video is that he's showing how the notes extend past that one octave range. Like I said, don't limit yourself to starting on C and ending on C an octave up. You can go up and down the scale, skip notes, etc.

F G Ab Bb C D Eb is still the C minor scale, it just starts and ends on notes other than C.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Apr 1, 2011,
Exactly right, Food.

The thing that I'm thinking about your approach, TS is that if I were using that same approach, I would feel like it was quite awkward and taking a long time. Why not learn all the notes on the neck of the guitar and how to write out Major scales on papoer - that is the basis of all music theory. Once you have those pieces...then scales can make sense and application is a little more realistic since you know where the notes are in real time.

Best,

Sean
Quote by food1010
First of all, that's a terrible lesson. He's not explaining the C minor scale, that's the C minor pentatonic scale.

But you do need to realize that a scale doesn't have a specific start/end note. The notes can be played in any order, as long as the notes fit into the scale. For example, his usage of the C minor pentatonic was fine, you can start on F and end on G if you want. The most important part of that video is that he's showing how the notes extend past that one octave range. Like I said, don't limit yourself to starting on C and ending on C an octave up. You can go up and down the scale, skip notes, etc.

F G Ab Bb C D Eb is still the C minor scale, it just starts and ends on notes other than C.

Yeah, I understand that you can play the notes within the scale, in any particular order, as long as it's the correct notes of that scale.. Just him starting from F kind of threw me off, as I was expecting him to go from a C, down to the last note of the C Minor scale, but I understand what you're saying now, to some extent :] Thank so very much!

Quote by Sean0913
Exactly right, Food.

The thing that I'm thinking about your approach, TS is that if I were using that same approach, I would feel like it was quite awkward and taking a long time. Why not learn all the notes on the neck of the guitar and how to write out Major scales on papoer - that is the basis of all music theory. Once you have those pieces...then scales can make sense and application is a little more realistic since you know where the notes are in real time.

Best,

Sean

That's sort of what I was looking at... I was thinking if I was to start learning the Scales on the Guitar, that the Notes would some how get stuck in my head eventually.. But maybe it would be a better choice to just learn the notes, and then I can probably much more easily play out the Scales..

Now, question.. How would I go about learning these notes, in the simplest way? I know I could go down the fret's on each string, and see what the notes are, and do this over and over, until it's memorized, but is that the best method of memorizing the notes along the fretboard? If that makes sense

I'm hoping every one new to this, goes through the same stuff.. It's frustrating, but it's fun at the same time!

If only the Guitar had Black & White keys I'd be in heaven..
Well I know money for you is low, so in my opinion, the best way is off the table of options.

But there is a program called fretboard warrior, and that is free, its basically a guide to drill and eventually get the notes on the neck down. As its free, that might be your best bet.

If you ever can get a few dollars together, we do teach this skill, and I believe that it could get you there in a very short time, and make everything easy to understand and to execute, where your times would be in the a second and a half to two seconds range, as far as applying anything you learn to the notes on the neck. We've had people who have struggled for years and then they take our course and finish the whole course as fast as a single weekend, and be able to perform at the speeds I mentioned above.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Apr 2, 2011,
Quote by Sean0913
Well I know money for you is low, so in my opinion, the best way is off the table of options.

But there is a program called fretboard warrior, and that is free, its basically a guide to drill and eventually get the notes on the neck down. As its free, that might be your best bet.

If you ever can get a few dollars together, we do teach this skill, and I believe that it could get you there in a very short time, and make everything easy to understand and to execute, where your times would be in the a second and a half to two seconds range, as far as applying anything you learn to the notes on the neck. We've had people who have struggled for years and then they take our course and finish the whole course as fast as a single weekend, and be able to perform at the speeds I mentioned above.

Best,

Sean

Alright, will have to look into that... I browsed around your website, seems well put together, and legitimate.. I need to get a few bucks together ;D

So, any other suggestions, for the time being? Other than fretboard warrior?

Cheers!