Hey all,
I'm trying to find a new guitar to suit my needs, and then know what I have to save for.

I've been thinking about an extended range guitar recently, so I can be BR00TALZ and play things like Born of Osiris, or Despised Icon. However I want to still be able to get a warmish clean tone so I can chill out, without sounding tinny or overly trebly.
As I know most come with EMG 707's... and they aren't exactly warm and cuddly when on clean.

Basically, are there any 7 strings that will retain clarity like one with EMG's, yet have nice tight cleans? Or is it a one option choice?
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
You could always swap the pickups for whatever you prefer. What kind of brands are you looking at?
For guitar brand, something like Schecter or LTD.

For pickups I would love to have Bareknuckle, but from what I've heard/read - passives loose clarity with the lower end range - I would like to avoid that if I can.
Gear:

Not all 7's come with EMGs.
The Ibanez RG 7321, 7420/7421 and 7620/7621 are all pretty common guitars and all come with passive pickups stock.
Quote by littlephil
Not all 7's come with EMGs.
The Ibanez RG 7321, 7420/7421 and 7620/7621 are all pretty common guitars and all come with passive pickups stock.

Ibanez isn't really an option, the necks are horribly uncomfortable for me.
Gear:

the neck blackout I have in my seven doesn't sound horrible in cleans, but I'm still swapping it out for an Aftermath set...passives will give you better cleans in general and they don't necessarily lose quality over an active, especially in the upper range
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
If a Floyd is not necessary to you, a Schecter C7 Custom may be up your alley. And it's got passives, which open you up to a whole world of tonal options as far as pickup selection goes.

EDIT: my BKP Coldsweat doesn't lose clarity in the low end and I put it in a Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR along with a Dimarzio Liquifire in the neck.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Last edited by shaggydogJV at Apr 1, 2011,
i have a schecter 7 with 707's and i get an amazing clean tone out of the neck pup! i can get it sounding more or less exactly like my acoustic
@ Shaggydog

A floyd isn't necessary at all, I like to experiment with tunings a lot.
I'll check it out, thanks man.

Would it be worth the extra 400 bucks to swap the stock pickups for BKP's?
EDIT: What BKP would I be looking at for maximum clarity?
Gear:

Last edited by Nimbus456 at Apr 1, 2011,
Quote by Nimbus456
@ Shaggydog

A floyd isn't necessary at all, I like to experiment with tunings a lot.
I'll check it out, thanks man.

Would it be worth the extra 400 bucks to swap the stock pickups for BKP's?
EDIT: What BKP would I be looking at for maximum clarity?

this place sell them cheaper than $400, it's called the axe palace, I'm getting my set for like $300 shipped

in general all the BKP are great, it depends on whatever axe you're getting as well, you could always look at the Agile Septor Elite, it comes with SD Blackouts or EMG's and if you don't like them, you could always sell them and use the cash to pay for the BKP
if you are interested in one, you'll have to wait though, they sell like hotcakes
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
BKP pickups aren't worth it, in my opinion.

After talking to Alex Bois extensively about Periphery's playing and gear, I had asked him about pickups. He said Bare Knuckles are cool, but they really aren't necessary and cost a hell of a lot of money.