Hey, i'm looking at new gear to buy to try and create a rig good enough to record and tour with, i'd like a fair amount of versatility but i mostly play hardcore and metal.

I play a PRS SE custom 24, through a line 6 spider 3 150 (Don't bash it, not what this is for aha) with fbv floorboard.
I'd also like to know what pedals i should look at, would be interested in eventually buying a delay pedal and a noise suppressor but those are all i really know anything about.
Amp wise i'd like a head that would be able to handle hardcore/metalcore but that would possibly be able to handle lighter alt rock aswell, because i doubt that i will be chugging forever haha. Budget for this would be between 400-600 but i have no problem buying second hand. Decent Clean tones are a must and would really prefer a valve head. Pedalwise budget would be -100 per pedal, as i can't afford to splash out too much on something that i wouldn't use that often.
Cheers, joe
umm.. you want a lot for not much of a budget. perhaps a Peavey Valveking head would work. you may also be able to find a used (peavey) JSX or XXX head for that amount.

fx wise well that's up to you. your line 6 has tons of built in fx so which ones do you use? good delays for under $100 are tough to find (unless used). i use a Deltalab which goes for about $60 however that only goes to 325 ms so has limited uses (but it does have a nice almost analog sound).
Quote by monwobobbo
umm.. you want a lot for not much of a budget.

remember he's in england so take that number and multiply by 1.5 to get an approximate conversion.
Quote by rickyj
remember he's in england so take that number and multiply by 1.5 to get an approximate conversion.

ok but most equipment is also more expensive there so that doesn't change the fact that he doesn't have much of a budget to work with.
Aha, a music students budget isn't the greatest of things aha.
In general on my line 6 delay is the only effect i use, because i find alot of the effects sound plastic on the line 6.
I should also elaborate i'm talking £ not $, sorry for not mentioning that aha!
I've heard people get nice tones from valve kings but only when they're loaded with pedals which i honestly have no idea about, i have looked at a jsx, the other guitarist in my band has one, and they sound great, but i've never really looked at the xxx, also i've heard good things about bugera aswell, cheers for the reply!
Quote by monwobobbo
ok but most equipment is also more expensive there so that doesn't change the fact that he doesn't have much of a budget to work with.

yea i realized you also have to convert the price of the gear after i posted that...
Quote by LowerThanJoe
Aha, a music students budget isn't the greatest of things aha.
In general on my line 6 delay is the only effect i use, because i find alot of the effects sound plastic on the line 6.
I should also elaborate i'm talking £ not $, sorry for not mentioning that aha!
I've heard people get nice tones from valve kings but only when they're loaded with pedals which i honestly have no idea about, i have looked at a jsx, the other guitarist in my band has one, and they sound great, but i've never really looked at the xxx, also i've heard good things about bugera aswell, cheers for the reply!

i use a valveking and don't need to use a ton of pedals but i don't play the new really heavy metal stuff. i slap an overdrive pedal in front and it gets a pretty heavy sound. as for the fx i realize that the fx on your amp probably aren't the best quality however they do give you an idea of what they sound like. my point was just to find out what fx actually interest you so stuff you really won't use won't be mentioned. personally i use a delay, wha, overdrive and a phaser but that's me andthat might not work for you.

we all suffer from the budget blues so don't feel bad. i wasn't trying to be mean just point out that you aren't likely to accomplish your mission on that small of a budget. my current set up ran me a little over $700 and were only talking a 1x12 amp not a head (and of course you'll need a bottom as well). things are cheaper here as well. i'd give some real thought into what is really needed.
Are you willing to save up? A Triple Rec would probably be perfect for you.

If not, like said above, ValveKing/JSX/XXX are all good options. The VK has better cleans than the JSX/XXX, but not as good distortion. From what I've read, I think that a XXX would be best for you out of those.

As for pedals, all you really need is a noise gate - you can get a Boss NS-2 for about $60 (USD). Then get a Boss DD7, which IMO is the best "cheap" delay you can get, as it sounds good and has a lot of features.

You may want a chorus for your cleans. The best "cheap" chorus pedal I've heard thus far is the Hardwire Chorus.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X