Hey UG, so this is my first post here in the acoustic forum so Hello all,
anyway. So a good friend of mine gave me her mom's guitar to restring because I got her into playing again. So i brought it home and i popped all the strings off and cleaned everything up (this guitar must be at least 20 years old) and the bridge has a huge crack running parallel with the saddle. The crack is about 1/8 of an inch deep. (pictures pending) Anyway, im just wondering if this is something to be terribly concerned about, and how i would go about fixing this.
Quote by r4ster
Pedalboard wood alters the tone

To each his own

Gear-
'06 Gibson Les Paul Standard Vintage Sunburst
Bugera V22
Fulltone OCD
Dunlop Crybaby w/ Fasel
the bridge should probably be removed and replaced, but it could be super glued, although i wouldn't recommend doing that on the guitar.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
If the crack is in the neighborhood of the saddle slot, or an extension of that, even glueing it will not really make it stable. Chances are the saddle slot has widened and will continue to put stress on the area.
Most repair folks would recommend replacing the bridge, I'll wager.
on, no doubt. i'd definitely replace it myself.

Quote by Bikewer
Most repair folks would recommend replacing the bridge, I'll wager.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Runs through the pins? If that's the case, it's a technique used by luthiers when the bridge is actually higher than the fretboard. If not, get the guitar set up and have the bridge replaced, afterall, it's and old guitar and it hasn't been played for a long time.
That guitar should really go to a Luthier anyway. If the bridge cracked, then the guitar got really dry at some point and should really be checked everywhere. The bridge might just be a tattle tale to some thing worse. Sorry and good luck.