Sorry if this is the wrong section. Would gauge .10 string's work in drop b, because I just read that I should have at least .11 if I'm gonna play that low.
I've made 10s work that low but I wouldn't want to use them in that tuning all the time, 11s is probably where you want to go.

This is definitely the wrong section, this would go in Electric Guitar if you have a similar question in future; this one is really for the physical process of playing the guitar.

And for that reason... *reported*

I know you mean well dude but them's the rules.

Quote by DaysoftheBlue
Why would you want to play on 10s if you play in Drop B?

Less tension, which means easier bending and smoother feeling vibrato.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Apr 1, 2011,
Well I won't be in this tuning that much, it's just to cover one song an that's it. I also will remember that this kind of question goes in the electric guitar section.
Been there done that, yeah it will work but you should just buy a 7 string and call it a day!
Quote by cm880999
Been there done that, yeah it will work but you should just buy a 7 string and call it a day!

I play a 7 by choice and I disagree. Just because you're tuned to B doesn't mean you should use a 7 string: what if you don't like the way they feel? You don't need the extra range at all? You want to do things that a standard tuning doesn't allow?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have no need for a 7 string guitar lol. Well I am gonna tune it and see if I like the feel, if not I will just go back to drop d or c.
Ok. I liked it but when I play to the song ( right now ( na na na ) by Asking Alexandria, most of it sounded right except the chores( spelling ). I think I'll wait till I get my new guitar an try again.
I sometimes use 10's for drop b just if im covering something but Its pretty loose but i dont mind it.

11's are better though.

^^ Thats probably intonation, unless you tuned up wrong.

Wait for the big guys to reply they know this stuff.
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Apr 2, 2011,
It does do flat and sharps.

(Invalid img)

The little indicators under where tuner and metrenome is written.

# = sharp

♭ = Flat
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Apr 2, 2011,
Well I know that but they don't light unless it's in the middle. So how would I know how far to go?
Quote by Austin174
Well I know that but they don't light unless it's in the middle. So how would I know how far to go?

It should indicate but i dont know exactly how your tuner works.

like for that example says C4 at the side, half step down should be B and half step up C#
I don't know if I'm weird... but I run .11s on a drop D tuned guitar and they feel right. I play standard on it too and the tension feels fine. I was trying guitars out the other day and they all were using slinky strings and they don't feel right anymore.

However... in drop B, they do work. It's not terrible, but I prefer them feeling tighter. 10s will probably be too loose. I'd probably look at heavy gauges if it was a dedicated drop B guitar, but 11s can do it as well as work with more common higher tunings.

This is on a strat style Yamaha Pacifica BTW.
Nice. It's not dedicated it's just for one song that I want to cover. I also think I figured out my tuner, when the needle is all the way left it's flat when it's all the way right it's sharp.
Last edited by Austin174 at Apr 3, 2011,
If your tuner really doesn't show sharps and flats and you don't want to guess then just hold down the string on the first fret and tune it to a half step higher.

Or is that just silly?
Lol. I tried doing it the way this website said but I could not tell if I had the sound matching or not.