Top 10 Basses

1. Fender Jazz Bass
The Fender Jazz is almost the undisputed winner, it has the same incredible quality of the Precision but it has a more versatile sound. With its more trebly tone the Jazz (or J bass) stands out from the mix, making it the choice for Jazz players and those who want to play more melodically.

2. Fender Precision Bass
The P bass was the first bass to come from fender guitars, two pickups close to neck position gives a smooth tone that brings joy to the ears of any bassist into blues, rock or Motown. The bass has a warmer and deeper sound than the J and it is slightly less versatile.

3. Gibson Thunderbird
The Thunderbird is Rock ‘n’ Roll. The axe of choice for many rock players such as Nikki Sixx, John Entwistle, Gene Simmons and Josh Reedy. With its humbuckers and heavy tone this bass is a true monster (a heavy one too). The standard model has a cool sunburst finish and of course the iconic eagle on the pickguard.

4. Musicman Stingray
The Stingray is an awesome bass with a modern sound that suits all sorts of styles from pop to funk and all the way to metal. It is a great bass for slapping and this makes it the ideal choice for players such as Louis Johnson and Flea. The bass usually features a teardrop pickguard and a single large humbucker.

5. Rickenbacker 4001/4003
The Rick is another one of those iconic rock basses. It would have been higher on the list except that I find it to be a bit uncomfortable to play. It usually costs a fair bit to buy but is still one of those basses you dream of buying. Notable players include Paul McCartney, Geddy Lee, Lemmy, Geezer Butler and Cliff Burton. If you haven’t heard of any of those players then you’re on the wrong site!

6. Ritter Bass
The Ritter, as seen in one of my previous blog posts, is a really really incredibly good looking bass guitar. Expect high prices and crazy designs (not a bad thing!).

7. Fender Jaguar
I’m probably a bit biased because I own one but this is a cool bass. You can read about it in my first blog post. Awesome Japanese electronics make this bass more versatile than Johnny Depp. Notable players include me, JMJ and that guy from The All-American Rejects.

8. Warwick Corvette
This is what the Warwick website says about the Corvette “If the entire line of Warwick basses is like a family at a party, then the Corvette is the latest in-law who ate all the food, drank all the booze and is now in the coat closet with not one, but two of the wait staff!”. Not sure if that’s true but the bass does look, sound and feel pretty snazzy.

9. Hofner Beatle Bass
You’ve seen this bass, you’ve heard this bass and you probably know that
Paul McCartney plays this bass. If you didn’t, well now you do.

10. Gibson SG Bass
Also known as the EB-3 this bass isn’t as popular as its birdlike cousin, which might be because it’s not quite as heavy and tough. Anyway Jack Bruce from Cream plays it, isn’t that enough?
Last edited by ivyman at Apr 2, 2011,
Is this just your opinion or what?
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Gene Simmons *
Mah Gear:
Ibanez RGR420EX
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Yamaha F-310
Kustom Arrow 16DFX
definitley think the rickenbacker stingray and warwick should be higher..
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
You need a smack.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by anarkee
Reported. You were warned once by the mods about this.

there is no links or advertising in this post, and yes this is just opinion
while this may be opinion, I hold respect to your bravery, though it may be invested in the wrong facets. In other words, I don't agree.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
I'm sorry, but 'I know of someone who plays this bass' isn't a good reason to have a bass in your top 10 of all time.

Also the Hofner was a budget bass at the time.

That's a stupid place to have a Thunderbird.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
I'm sorry, but 'I know of someone who plays this bass' isn't a good reason to have a bass in your top 10 of all time.

Also the Hofner was a budget bass at the time.

That's a stupid place to have a Thunderbird.

Thanks, Andrew, for showcasing why this sort of thread is frowned on.

I suppose my entire post could be summed up in one emote.

This one:
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by ivyman
there is no links or advertising in this post, and yes this is just opinion

Its up to the current mods but imho you're treading on thin ice here.

And its not even a well written list.