I'm looking to get a small tube combo, to replace my piece of shit marshall mg15. I can't bring my valve king 112 to college as it's too big and too loud. So I've done a lot of thinking / searching / asking on here and i've come to the conclusion my best bet would be the 1 Watt Blackstar - and I've seen some vids of it in action and i'm blown away.

BUT

I've got some questions..

I enjoy playing all kinds of shit .. from metal, to progressive metal, to classic rock, to blues, etc. If I get the blackstar ht-1 will it be able to handle these different styles on its on? If not, I'd have no problem picking up a solid OD pedal, maybe something like a tubescreamer. but I'd also like some recommendations there, for a good OD pedal for metal.

is 1 watt of tube power going to be loud enough in a dorm room? thats probably a ridiculous question, but .. still.

thanks guys.

also im on a budget of 350 or less. about.
-Gibson SG special - faded brown
-ESP LTD MH400NT w/ EMG 81 - 85
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
I don't understand why people want a quiet amp for college... I remember the kids in my dorm played so loud that you could hear it 5 floors down, haha.

I don't own the amp, just wanted to make that comment.
Quote by farmosh203
I don't understand why people want a quiet amp for college... I remember the kids in my dorm played so loud that you could hear it 5 floors down, haha.

I don't own the amp, just wanted to make that comment.

I don't want to be a douche and play that loudly lol.
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
Haha, ok fair enough. If I played guitar back in my dorm days I would have cranked it...

Edit:

I noticed you have a Metal Muff in your sig. So you don't like the Marshall with the Metal Muff? I have a Marshall MG and think it sounds pretty brootal with the Metal Muff, maybe a little trebly but sounds better than my Peavey 6505 for metal.
Last edited by farmosh203 at Apr 1, 2011,
Quote by farmosh203
Haha, ok fair enough. If I played guitar back in my dorm days I would have cranked it...

Edit:

I noticed you have a Metal Muff in your sig. So you don't like the Marshall with the Metal Muff? I have a Marshall MG and think it sounds pretty brootal with the Metal Muff, maybe a little trebly but sounds better than my Peavey 6505 for metal.

I use the Metal Muff in place of the MG's distortion channel, and it's passable to me. But, obv it can't match the sound I get from my Valve King w/ the metal muff
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
Quote by farmosh203

Edit:

There's something very wrong with your Peavey...

TS IMO the Blackstars don't do modern metal that well without an EQ, OD and tube swap apart from the Series One. Try one out before you buy it
Quote by AxSilentxLine

TS IMO the Blackstars don't do modern metal that well without an EQ, OD and tube swap apart from the Series One. Try one out before you buy it

Thanks for the tip man. thats why im planning on getting an OD with the amp
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings

I thought so too but I went to Guitar Center and tried the one they had on display and it sounded the same.
I tried about 5 different ones before I found one I liked. Each one sounded like harsh fizzy shit which put me off them for years and I only bought one a few years later when I decided to give one another go. The store where I bought it changed the tubes as soon as they got it in they ship with pretty bad tubes.
Mate I've had the ht1 combo and now I have the head and cab. I play it in s 18ft conservatory and I never gave it past half way unless no one in lol. I can do metal but not all the way to hi gain stuff for me its okay
Gear:-
Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony 2011
Blackstar Ht-1r Head and 408 Blackstar Cab

Practicing:-
Trot Stetinas Lead guitar Vol 1 (2nd solo)
Trot Stetinas Rhythm guitar Vol 1 (4th Rhythm)

Plays:-
Anything from Slash to Killswitch Engage!!!

i've played a ht1 combo, and also had it hooked upto a 4x12 blackstar cab..

through just the combo, it sounds good, but through thr 4x12 it was epic..

i had it cranked, full gain/full volume... it sounded sweet for heavy rock/hardcore... if you put a overdrive infront it would do metal easily..

id reccommend it, i'm looking into one as we speak
sorry to hi-jack the thread, but i've been looking into the ht-5 as my first tube amp, playing mainly classic rock acdc ect and some metal, would this amp be okay?

also slightly OT, it does come with a headphone jack i think, meaning you won't be the college douche...
I'm looing into the ht-1 for pretty much the same reasons as you. I know you shouldn't base your decision on one video or one opinion, but I think this video is one of the better ones showing off the distortion. This is just the distortion from the amp, no pedals or anything.

Andy James- Blackstar HT-1
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
Guys one thing ur forgetting also is how awesome the cleans are on this amp coupled with the built in reverb on ht1r you gave one hell of versatile amp !!!

I have the head and 408 cab and it's much better than combo I would recommend the head.

Also to thy guy about ht5 it's a fine amp. Even would be okay for jammin. It's loud!!!
Gear:-
Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony 2011
Blackstar Ht-1r Head and 408 Blackstar Cab

Practicing:-
Trot Stetinas Lead guitar Vol 1 (2nd solo)
Trot Stetinas Rhythm guitar Vol 1 (4th Rhythm)

Plays:-
Anything from Slash to Killswitch Engage!!!

Last edited by Danslash at Apr 2, 2011,
Still not really sure what I'm gonna do. I dk if I'll have the budget for the HT-1 PLUS a really good OD at the same time right now..
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
I think you might want extra gain so pick up an OD with it. I have it, and its great for home/college use. I play allot of Rock, put it can get that 80's metal with the gain cranked.
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
I'm really thinking about just getting a Peavy Vypyr, Roland Cube, Fender Mustang I, or Vox VT15... i've got my valve king at home.. and I dont think i'll have the budget for the HT-1 along with a really good OD pedal..
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
Quote by W METALLICA W
I'm really thinking about just getting a Peavy Vypyr, Roland Cube, Fender Mustang I, or Vox VT15... i've got my valve king at home.. and I dont think i'll have the budget for the HT-1 along with a really good OD pedal..
You can get Bad Monkey, which is a great OD on a budget. But the amp has plenty of gain for some metal
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
Quote by Fives
You can get Bad Monkey, which is a great OD on a budget. But the amp has plenty of gain for some metal

I'll give that a thought. I'm really liking the Vox VT20+ though
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings