I'm just a beginner (only been playing for 6 days). I saw these Rocktron Zombie pedals for sale and they look pretty good. But is that as cheap as it gets? I'm really low on cash.
You can pick up a digitech death metal used for 20-25 bucks, or a dod distortion runs cheap used too.
The zombie rectifier from rocktron is a decent pedal but best used with a full tube amp, it wont sound to great with a ss amp.
If youve only been playing 6 days maybe look into a multi effects pedal like a digitech rp series.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Apr 2, 2011,
first of all, it is better to play clean as beginner so u don't become a sloppy player as distortion can disguise your mistakes. If you ignore this advice, look at Boss, behringer and digitech pedals. u can pick up a behringer for like 15 buck in usa. they are about 50 bucks in australia if u live in australia or us. boss and digitech are a step higher.
Quote by fretshredda
first of all, it is better to play clean as beginner so u don't become a sloppy player as distortion can disguise your mistakes. If you ignore this advice, look at Boss, behringer and digitech pedals. u can pick up a behringer for like 15 buck in usa. they are about 50 bucks in australia if u live in australia or us. boss and digitech are a step higher.

Yea you should play clean as a beginner but seriously if metal is what hes interested in he will prob lose intrest fast only playing clean, at least I know I would have.
I took lessons From the age of 10-14 for the first 2 years all my lessons were playing on the clean ch. and tuned to standard, then the last 2 we ventured more into what I was interested in.
But when I was at home jamming I tuned down and played straight metal!
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
the most important thing about playing guitar is playing the songs and styles you want. there's no set way to learn guitar. i used dist from day one, playing the songs i want and it hasn't hurt my playing. through the years you end up playing your electric acoustically enough that you'll get a good sense of your playing because of that. also everyone ventures away from metal at some point and plays some classic or softer stuff, then come back to metal with their new techniques.

basically sall good baby get the cheapest dist pedal you can find if you're just starting. i'd recommend something from digitech. they're better than boss IMO.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Get a Boss DS-1. It pretty versatile for under 50 bucks, and it kinda undestructible, but FYI you shouldn't use a lot of distortion as a beginner, you will not be able to hear you mistakes.
DS-1 is a tank, damn near indestructible and very reliable. However, if you want something cheap then there's a little gem that isn't exactly well know.

Have a look for the Daphon E10OD Overdrive pedal. Overdrive - distortion, meh, no big argument between the two if you ask me. The chip inside this baby is the same as in a Tube Screamer so you can't really go too wrong with it. I got mine for about £10 - $15, something like that, you can probably get them online for cheaper if you look in the right places.

I sold mine to buy the new Boss ST-2, but that's not because it was a bad pedal, I kind of miss it to be honest. But yeah, have a look Some good youtube demos!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
DS1 is your cheapest option that'll still be worth something as you get better, simply for the fact that they're so easily modded.

I'd just grab a DS1 honestly.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--