Hey guys,

That's it, no more am I going to get other bands tone.
I have learned my lesson the hard way but know I want to try to get a sound that I like but I have no clue were to start.
There are like a million amps, pedals, power and preamps out there and I dont know wich one I like or wich combination to choose, Hell I dont even know what is the sound im looking for.
There is only one thing I know and that's budget which is 2000$

Any help at all will be very gratefull.

Thanks alot

BTW I would prefer a rack
Last edited by GV8 at Apr 2, 2011,
Well you kind of need to think of what sound you want. Do you like heavy metal? Jazz? Start from what music you like to play and work on from there.
You need to read the sticky posted at the top of the GG&A Forum....................................
In my opinion I don't think you need your "own tone" unless you lay down your own track because chances are you'll wake up the next day, flip some settings around and sound different anyway..
Quote by AJScott
Well you kind of need to think of what sound you want. Do you like heavy metal? Jazz? Start from what music you like to play and work on from there.

Sorry it took so long to replie... internet problems

Well I like thrash metal, you know Metallica, Megadeth BFMV ETC...
so if you can help I would be very gracefull
GV8 - what JesusCrisp said is correct. It is really hard to make recommendations with such little information. There are British type tones and American type tones. GENERALLY - most Thrash metal is based on Brit tones from the like of Marshall amps. I see your Blog and your reference to Marshall so that helps. The JCM800 or the JVM410 would work for that with the JVM being more 'modern' but imo less natural. That 'tone' is usually associated with a EL34 tube selection and circuitry that emphasis the Mids in an EQ curve.

I can't believe I'm getting read to type all of this but somewhere right before MOP Metallica started using Mesa Marks. Marks imo are sort of in between Am-Brit.
<flameshield>

Then at some point you have to realize that amps like the Mesa Rectifiers and Peaveys. These are on the American side of the equation and are typically assiciated with 6L6 tubes and a scooped EQ curve. Amps like these can also do thrash and have been to go to amps for decades for alternative, nu-metal, hardcore, modern, death metal, etc. Keeping in mind - that they have not replaced Marshall - just offering alternatives. Other amp builders like Soldano, Rivera, Engl, Diezel, Egnater, Orange and bunch of others all play their part too and have their own distinct tones.

What am I getting at here?

I'm not sure.

Oh yeah, so....if you told me that earlier Metallica and Megadeth was your favorite then you are on the right track with finding a used Marshall, modded Marshall, or Marshall clone. Speaking generally here. If you told me that you prefer Metallica starting with the Black album and Megadeth starting with Countdown then my answer may be different.

you have a healthy budget so just keep doing research and play as many amps as you can of all kinds and write down the tube type, settings and initial thoughts after you play each one. I do this and I find it really helps to jog my memory when I get home so that everything doesn't wash together.

The quick answer - if you want rack gear is to look into the Mesa TriAxis pre and Simul-Class power amps. Marshall also has rack gear and Engl's rack gear is very popular.

Lastly, I may have made a bid deal about the differences in some of these amp but the flip side is they are not THAT far apart. You can usually coax all kinds of things out of most of the amps I mentioned. They are pretty versatile.

*copy paste to clipboard*

Quote by Necronomicon
In my opinion I don't think you need your "own tone" unless you lay down your own track because chances are you'll wake up the next day, flip some settings around and sound different anyway..

Getting your tone doesn't necessarily mean settings and such. How you express what is in your brain through your fingers to the stings and frets that then gets amplified and modified by your effects and amp and speakers back to your ears that feed your brain ......is getting your tone.