hi guys the question is what did u have learned from ur years of playing guitar(and how long have u been playing) ... i mean things that u think that any guitarist should know ...
for me i play seinze 1.5 year i know it's not v much but i think that i have learned some things ...
1-nothing comes easy
2-if u don't try to learn somthing u won't learn it (and that's what i do with solos =='')
3-u can't learn somthing if u don't like it
4-learning guitar never ends ... >< there is always somthing new to learn
5-music theory is v useful because really it's cool to understand what are u doing
6-if u are tired or u don't wanna pick up ur guitar don't just let it for another time because u can't really learn if u're not motivated
i think this is it not so much what about u ?
and i have another question what motivate u to play guitar ?
thx and srry for my bad english
Oh god, the Engrish!!

srs.... dont force yourself to play or youll burn out. For motivation, stop playing on your own and play with other musicians/a band. Gives you something fun to work on and look forward to.
Last edited by CreepingDeath13 at Apr 2, 2011,
Don't give up learning a song, unless it's ridiculously hard for your skill level. When you start learning something, finish it!
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Quote by BlueIceBox
Don't give up learning a song, unless it's ridiculously hard for your skill level. When you start learning something, finish it!

yeah this is my problem when i try to learn a solo i say no it's not the right time to learn that let's move to somthing easyer .... :/
In my 3 years of playing guitar I have learned that most guitars are not shock proof.

now seriously: Never give up learning a hard song, It may be hard at first but in the end it will all pay off. I never thought I would be able to play Master Of Puppets when I began playing guitar, but now I can totally nail that song (even with downpicking) and even harder songs!!!
there is no one here who plays for about 1.5 year because i wanna compaire my lvl ...
Play what you want, when you want, how you want. Unless you want to play it completely wrong.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Quote by mado-elodie
there is no one here who plays for about 1.5 year because i wanna compaire my lvl ...

why ? don't worry about how fast you progress just as long as you improve .

what happens when you see someone play like Paul Gilbert in 1.5 yrs
what then give up ?
Quote by 951
why ? don't worry about how fast you progress just as long as you improve .

what happens when you see someone play like Paul Gilbert in 1.5 yrs
what then give up ?

i don't think that there is guys like that :s and if yes they existe i ll ask him how much do u practice evry day if he says 8h i ll try to do the same that's all
Quote by mado-elodie
i don't think that there is guys like that :s and if yes they existe i ll ask him how much do u practice evry day if he says 8h i ll try to do the same that's all

Lol, well, first of all, time isn't everything. Forcing yourself to play more then you wish is just wasting time. Play when you feel so, if your not really in the mood most of the time to play, then your just not that pashionate about the instrument, so there shouldn't be any pressure on getter better.

And second of all, something I see in a huge amount of guitarists is that they have this ritual that can't be broken if you want to play.
By this I mean, you do NOT need to have a special space, with a special chair, and lighting for you/the guitar, and then create this big ambience. In many cases it can just be pushing you back, believe it or not. You making the act of playing guitar into something too serious. You'll feel you need everything at 110% to satisfy you or others.

Instead, live alongside with your guitar, lay down watching TV, with your guitar on your lap, play something, or just hit some random/improvisation of anything. Mess around with the guitar. It'll make you get used to playing guitar, getting to know YOUR guitar, once in a while you might just manage to get some cool sound/riff/etc, and as time goes by, you'll manage to actually be playing stuff straight from your head, without always needing a tab sheet of a already written song.

Bottom line is really, have a drink or two with your guitar, befriend yourself with it, rather then making it just another chore which you MUST be good at so you can impress people.
All good stuff..

I've DEFINITELY learn the importance of PATIENCE. I used to want to see results overnight, or would get pissed when I could perform something after hours of practicing it, then lost it the next day.

Now I know that the body doesn't learn on the same day you practice. It builds over days and weeks (or even months). Patience goes a long way.

The second thing is that I should never OVERDO the practice. When I overdid it (countless times) with the 6 hour marathon sessions, I felt like crap afterward. AND I hurt my ability to practice correctly the next day because my hands were destroyed.
I've only been playing for 6 days haha. But I've played other instruments before so I know that you need patience to become good. Don't give up on yourself just because you can't play a song. I couldn't play any low notes on a saxophone until ONE whole year after I started.

Everything takes time, but the amount of time that you have been playing doesn't always equal your skill level. Also you have to learn how to use your practice time wisely. Sure I could practice for 8 hours a day, but if I'm just messing around and not taking it seriously then what's the point? When someone could probably get more out of a 45 minute practice.
Quote by mado-elodie

Dude, I totally wanted to play Unholy Confessions when I was playing for like 5 months. I learned nearly the whole song wrong before my guitar teacher corrected me. But, I still practiced daily, at the expense of my parents eardrums, and I can totally rock now.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Quote by mado-elodie
so how much time do u practice evry day :s ?

here is some guide line's i think that helps .

1. don't do exactly what other players do . in other words use what they say as
guide lines (how they pick , hold a guitar , hold a pick , etc.) to fit to your own playing .

2. don't practice individual phrases you will never use , LEARN SONG'S note for note that have techniques you like , its practicing but it's not things you don't want to learn and is more enjoyable and your interest is kept longer . and it puts the phrases you learn to use .

3. learn what a metronome is and how it works with music and what tab & standard notation is ( regardless of what people say about tab its all useful to know ) and some music theory . use a metronome or whatever you choose when you have everything in the song or phrase of the song down not before .

4. everyone learns at different paces , as said before don't worry about how fast you learn but how well you learn and play it even if its at much slower speed then the original , if you stay with it you will eventually get it .

that's about it , like others have said play everyday if you want to as long as you want
to but don't play if you are dreading it , just wait until you want to play again .

remember that these top players ( Petrucci , Gilbert ,Yngwie , Vai , whoever ) got that way because they have an unrivaled interest to learning there instrument and how to play music and how music works .

having someone to show you how all this is done can greatly speed up the process .

the rest is up to you
Last edited by 951 at Apr 3, 2011,