Hey UG,

Just got a couple of quick questions about DiMarzio pickups.

I was watching a few Youtube videos and have picked up that Misha Mansoor from Periphery uses the Crunchlab + Liquifire setup.

I've been wanting to step up from the crappy EMG's in my Schecter Hellraiser C-1 for a while now. Although, when I 'ebayed' the pickup combo, they are sold in sets which come in "Type R" and "Type F". What the hell does that mean?

Which would I be looking at for my guitar? Also, would my precious tonewoods work well with this specific combination? Or would it be worth keeping my EMG's?

EDIT:

Do the 6 & 7 string versions differ? (Aside from the obvious reasons). Like the same "low end" registry and such? Since I tune down to Drop A# and anything around that.

And from time to time I also do like to play metalcore-Esq type of songs, will this combination work in the favor of metalcore?
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Last edited by Mopy at Apr 2, 2011,
Type R and type F pickups are used depending on guitar to signify the distance between the pole pieces iifc and as a result the size of the pickup such that it fits into the selected guitar. I can't remember which one fits into the Schecter though - I shall research it for you however

The combination is usually used with a lighter wood than Mahogany, however they sound pretty gorgeous in most guitars :p I would definitely recommend getting a set of Dimarzio's to replace the EMG's even if not necessarily that set.

Tonally the 6 and 7 string versions don't differ too much. The whole point of them is to try and capture the same tone but allowing for the extended range. This will show on the tone graph Dimarzio give you because they have altered the hardware as to not alter the tone.

The Crunch Lab, and it's Drop Sonic predecessor, are designed to work well with low tunings. I've never gone 'quite' that low but on a Baritone tuned to B the Drop Sonic sounded great. I can therefore only assume the Crunch Lab will too.

The combination will work for metalcore too yes
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
(Sorry double post)
The F spacing is used for 'F'ender style guitars and those with Floyd Rose's whilst the R spacing is for Gibsons and other 'R'egular guitars. As a result I would suggest you get a Type R set of whichever pickups you desire. Best to check with the seller first... or await confirmation on here
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Just measure the string spacing - 48mm is standard, 51.5mm is F-spaced.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Nashville (i.e. not Historic) Les Pauls are also F spaced - it isn't just Fender and Floyd guitars.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Thanks for the info guys. Now it's time to track down a seller who sells the pair in Black and not F Spaced.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
I have the Liquifire in the neck of my mahogany Schecter and I run it through a 6505+. It is sex with the lead tones I can get out of it.
Last edited by MicahChaney at Apr 2, 2011,
Okay, I've ran into a problem. There is a shortage of places that sell the Crunchlab (R-Spaced and Black). All that I've seen online that will ship to Australia are F-Spaced.

Help?!
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3