Page 1 of 4
Attacks have occurred against the UN in both Kandahar and Mazar-i-Sharif.

Source: BBC

Nine people have been killed in the Afghan city of Kandahar during a demonstration against the burning of a Koran in the US, officials say.

Hundreds of people took part in the protest. Gunfire was heard and cars were set on fire.

On Friday, seven UN workers were killed after a protest over the same issue in in the northern city of Mazar-i Sharif.

Source: Reuters

(Reuters) - Afghan protesters angered by the burning of a Koran by an obscure U.S. pastor killed up to 20 U.N. staff, beheading two foreigners, when they over-ran a compound in a normally peaceful northern city on Friday in the worst ever attack on the U.N. in Afghanistan.

I hope that motherfucking "pastor" realises what a shitstorm he has precipitated and how many lives he's ruined because of his bigoted and irresponsible idiocy.
Last edited by LordBishek at Apr 2, 2011,
Personally, I think they should just man up and realise it's just a book.
Although, that pastor is also a complete idiot.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by Benjabenja
Personally, I think they should just man up and realise it's just a book.
Although, that pastor is also a complete idiot.

They're all guilty of murder, including that bloody pastor. Well, I'm not sure what the legal term is, but he's guilty at least of incitement to murder.
To be fair, he was never the smartest man in the world. This perfectly highlights the effects of intolerance in parts of America and the church......it's an awful story.
F**king religion

\/ + 1

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Last edited by IYanoplathizoI at Apr 2, 2011,
They complain about this but its oka for them to burn our poppies and vandalize our soldiers graves? go figure..
Both sides are idiots. The pastors should have known it would have caused an upheaval and now the blood is on their hands. But the protestors in afghanistan think theyre making a point by killing people completely unrelated to the event. They're so thick they think a very small group of people in america stands for the belief of an entire nation and international assembly.
Yea that's right, I want something to explode

I've been deaf, now I want noise

LOUD LOVE
Pastor Terry Jones is a horrible person, but should be allowed to do this. I could barely detest him more though. There are also better ways of responding to this than attacking and killing UN workers.
http://www.good.is/post/extremist-vs-extremist-the-consequences-of-burning-a-koran
That roughly sums up my views on the issue.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
''Hey, that guy is a shithead''
''Lets kill someone completely unrelated in retaliation''

That'll teach him.
Last edited by Våd Hamster at Apr 2, 2011,
I heard this on the radio yesterday, it makes me sick.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Sick extremists respond to idiotic antagonising pastor.

The worst thing about this is that everyone who was protesting will be tarred with the same brush.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I don't think that is incitement to murder. Jones didn't stand in front of the mob and tell them to kill some UN workers. The link between his actions and the actions of the extremists is not one that he could, or should, have predicted. He's certainly not a murderer, the idiots murdering people are.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I don't think that is incitement to murder. Jones didn't stand in front of the mob and tell them to kill some UN workers. The link between his actions and the actions of the extremists is not one that he could, or should, have predicted. He's certainly not a murderer, the idiots murdering people are.

I agree in part, but everybody knew there would be an extreme reaction, that's why the international community pressured him into stopping the first time.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by LordBishek
They're all guilty of murder, including that bloody pastor. Well, I'm not sure what the legal term is, but he's guilty at least of incitement to murder.

Inciting religious hatred. Nowhere near as bad as the backlash, but I bet you he'll get away with this with little more retribution than a bit of infamy, and some slagging off on internet forums.
I still don't get quite what he was trying to do with his actions though.
"Hey, I just set fire to one of the millions of copies of your book"
"Yeah? Well aren't you cool" The only thing it was going to do was make some people laugh at his stupidity, and the rest commit small scale genocide.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Not directly, but he did everything but do the thing himself. As for the prediction of the consequences - I totally disagree. He was contacted by numerous parties, including Obama himself, and was clearly well informed that his actions could well endanger lives. Agreed, he didn't go ahead with his own book burning - but only because he was well and truly informed of just how violent and serious the backlash could have been. The fact that he then folded his arms, stood around and supervised the ACTUAL burning is, in my eyes, admittedly, tantamount to the same thing. Wayne Sapp may also be equally guilty - but Jones in my eyes is worse because he had the focus of the media spotlight on him until it was clear that he was well and truly informed how dangerous and irresponsible his actions were - and then he basically dropped the damn book in the fire in all but name.
You know what the worst thing is? The fact that Marylin Manson is, in the public eye, more responsible for the V.Tech massacre etc. than this Pastor is for the U.N workers deaths.....
Quote by LordBishek
Not directly, but he did everything but do the thing himself. As for the prediction of the consequences - I totally disagree. He was contacted by numerous parties, including Obama himself, and was clearly well informed that his actions could well endanger lives. Agreed, he didn't go ahead with his own book burning - but only because he was well and truly informed of just how violent and serious the backlash could have been. The fact that he then folded his arms, stood around and supervised the ACTUAL burning is, in my eyes, admittedly, tantamount to the same thing. Wayne Sapp may also be equally guilty - but Jones in my eyes is worse because he had the focus of the media spotlight on him until it was clear that he was well and truly informed how dangerous and irresponsible his actions were - and then he basically dropped the damn book in the fire in all but name.

I disagree. People have a right to freedom of speech and shouldn't be constrained by the possible violent actions of extremist morons. That doesn't mean that there isn't incitement to hatred exceptions, but those have to be direct and extremely causal, for example standing outside the UN building stoking an angry mob to enter and murder people. However this is not a case like that. If we accept here that his words make him responsible for what happened then where to we draw the line elsewhere? If I write a speech about the necessity of free student fees and some moron murders Nick Clegg? What if someone decides to kill the Pope because of Dawkin's rhetoric?
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I disagree. People have a right to freedom of speech and shouldn't be constrained by the possible violent actions of extremist morons. That doesn't mean that there isn't incitement to hatred exceptions, but those have to be direct and extremely causal, for example standing outside the UN building stoking an angry mob to enter and murder people. However this is not a case like that. If we accept here that his words make him responsible for what happened then where to we draw the line elsewhere? If I write a speech about the necessity of free student fees and some moron murders Nick Clegg? What if someone decides to kill the Pope because of Dawkin's rhetoric?

Yeah, I see your point - I know they're safe from a legal point of view. I'm just saying that in this particular case, from a purely moral point of view and without looking at legal precedents, those two were well in the know someone was going to do something extremely stupid. But I agree with you, certainly in a global view regardless of my views on this case in particular.
I saw this yesterday. The utter contempt I had for both sides of this while reading it has not faded.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
Sick extremists respond to idiotic antagonising pastor.

The worst thing about this is that everyone who was protesting will be tarred with the same brush.

And why shouldn't they? If the actions of some redneck asshole in Florida compels you to march upon a UN enclave 12,000 miles away you're as big a redneck asshole.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
It's not like Islam is the religion of peace or anything.

Oh wait...
Quote by Jackal58
And why shouldn't they? If the actions of some redneck asshole in Florida compels you to march upon a UN enclave 12,000 miles away you're as big a redneck asshole.

I meant that the protesters will be tarred with the same brush as the extremists.

Not everyone protesting was a murderer.

EDIT:see the post above mine
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I meant that the protesters will be tarred with the same brush as the extremists.

Not everyone protesting was a murderer.

EDIT:see the post above mine

I would say everyone protesting was an extremist though. You have to be seriously uncoupled from reality to allow what a redneck in Podunk Florida does compel you to march on a disassociated organization half a world away. I'm not saying they all had a compulsion to kill but I am saying they were all fucking nuts.

And the post above you is from another redneck moron from Podunksville that would gladly attend a trial of the Koran. He's not any smarter or less ignorant than the assholes that decided they had to show their displeasure by marching on a UN compound.

I find both sides equally repugnant.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
I would say everyone protesting was an extremist though. You have to be seriously uncoupled from reality to allow what a redneck in Podunk Florida does compel you to march on a disassociated organization half a world away. I'm not saying they all had a compulsion to kill but I am saying they were all fucking nuts.

And the post above you is from another redneck moron from Podunksville that would gladly attend a trial of the Koran. He's not any smarter or less ignorant than the assholes that decided they had to show their displeasure by marching on a UN compound.

This.

Religious extremism is disgusting.
Quote by Jackal58

Extension to the bolded part: I agree with Don here - individually speaking, people are generally sane and normal human beings. Once they're in a mob, assessing the sanity of the total mob based on the respective sanity of it's total members is...insane.

Mathematically, if we define some mob sanity coefficient C_s_m, and let n be the number of individuals within the mob with individual sanity C_s_i, then C_s_m << C_s_i X n.

>.>
Last edited by LordBishek at Apr 2, 2011,
I love it when my rants have mathematical proofs.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Lost Dog
So the priest burns a book so they kill people? ****in muslims

Quote by Våd Hamster

+1. Not defending anybody, but that statement just reflects badly on you.
He shouldn't get arrested or anything but after the whole picture of muhammed thing a few years ago he should realise that what he's doing will have serious consequences.

Hopefully the shit he gets off people for doing this will **** his life up somewhat.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

I guess Freedom Of Speech is different in Ireland than in The States.
Here, you have the freedom of speech to say whatever you want....
as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of other people.
I'd say some UN people had their rights infringed upon.
The pastor is a douchebag, sure. However, I don't see how you can possibly blame him for these maniacs killing people. It'd be like me saying your favorite band is terrible and you going and beating someone half to death, and then saying it was my fault.
Quote by KeepOnRotting
The pastor is a douchebag, sure. However, I don't see how you can possibly blame him for these maniacs killing people. It'd be like me saying your favorite band is terrible and you going and beating someone half to death, and then saying it was my fault.

Not really, considering past events where the muslim world have protested against more minor things than this. He should have known that what he was doing would have consequences.

Not to mention the fact that he is retarded anyway so any backlash against him is very much welcome in my eyes.
Quote by CodeMonk
I guess Freedom Of Speech is different in Ireland than in The States.
Here, you have the freedom of speech to say whatever you want....
as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of other people.
I'd say some UN people had their rights infringed upon.

Actually the Freedom of Speech is more restrictive in Europe than it is in the US.
And this asshole in Fl. did not compel anybody to kill. Those that did so, did so of their own accord.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Greenie_777
Not really, considering past events where the muslim world have protested against more minor things than this. He should have known that what he was doing would have consequences.

Not to mention the fact that he is retarded anyway so any backlash against him is very much welcome in my eyes.

So the entire world now has in effect a gag order placed on it because some overly sensitive douchebag in Karachi might decide that what some ignorant asshat in Copenhagen says is blasphemous and people in Kabul need to die?
Bullshit.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Greenie_777

I can't speak for you but I know if someone does something that offends me I'm not going to behead someone, mainly because I'm not a primitive animal. People are responsible for their own actions, no matter how much they try to pass blame.
Quote by Jackal58
So the entire world now has in effect a gag order placed on it because some overly sensitive douchebag in Karachi might decide that what some ignorant asshat in Copenhagen says is blasphemous and people in Kabul need to die?
Bullshit.

I never said that it should be legal action but if a bunch of people feel the need to spit at him in the street then in my eyes I don't care.
So...

Extremists and others burn poppies.
Others burn Qu'rans in retaliation.
Why sink to their level?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Greenie_777
I never said that it should be legal action but if a bunch of people feel the need to spit at him in the street then in my eyes I don't care.

Have him being spit on by patients coming out of an AIDS clinic.
Quote by Greenie_777

I think I'm going to have a ceremony where I wed the Koran with a Bible. It will be officiated over by the Torah and from this blessed union Biboran shall be created forever
unifying the world or pissing off all of the fucking nutters.
Should be a good reception afterward either way.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Page 1 of 4