in some songs, u gotta play the low E string really quick and i realize i cannot do the alternative picking smoothly, esp when it comes to the upstroke.

anyone can gimme some advice on this? thx
search the forum.
there are like a gazillion topics around.

oh and buy a metronome, start slowly blablablalblabla....
What?
Practice. Learn to play it properly before worrying about the speed.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
use a pick

edit: when you got the pick between your thumb and index finger, start picking 4ths on a string-> move to another string-> speed it up to 8ths-> another string-> move more often-> do that for a while-> start playing 16ths->increase the speed of your metronome, etc..
Last edited by imaginary.frnd at Apr 2, 2011,
Quote by imaginary.frnd
start picking 4ths on a string-> move to another string-> speed it up to 8ths-> another string-> move more often-> do that for a while-> start playing 16ths->increase the speed of your metronome, etc..

That sounds like a cool way of practicing. So it'd be like bursts of 4ths, 8ths 16ths across strings? If so, ill try it when practicing a bit.
Not trying to hijack but figured we didn't need another thread. I'm a beginner and I can alternate pick on a single string, but I can't upstroke chords. My pick like hits the first one and then gets stuck before I can finish the chord cleanly. Is it the angle that I'm approaching it?
Quote by TriviumisEpic
Not trying to hijack but figured we didn't need another thread. I'm a beginner and I can alternate pick on a single string, but I can't upstroke chords. My pick like hits the first one and then gets stuck before I can finish the chord cleanly. Is it the angle that I'm approaching it?

Might be the angle but most of the time it's the fingers gripping the pick too tight. If you loosen up a bit, it'll also be easier the get the angle right.
Quote by smokeysteve22
That sounds like a cool way of practicing. So it'd be like bursts of 4ths, 8ths 16ths across strings? If so, ill try it when practicing a bit.

Yea. You do the 16ths for as long as you can. If you can keep it up you can increase the speed of your metronome and start again. If you mess it up you start again with the 4ths. And don't forget to move from one string to another while picking. For example try playing 4 16ths on the E string then 4 on the G, D and so on. When you are comfortable with all that stuff you can practice scales this way.
I would also add that alternate picking really slow for a while really the way to do it because it builds the strength necessary to alternate pick fast. I used to think I was doing it wrong because I couldn't pick fast, but I just didn't have enough strength and control. Doing it slow will fix that.

Also practice picking separately. Do something simple on the fret hand so you worry only about the picking, not on both at the same time.
Quote by imaginary.frnd
Yea. You do the 16ths for as long as you can. If you can keep it up you can increase the speed of your metronome and start again. If you mess it up you start again with the 4ths. And don't forget to move from one string to another while picking. For example try playing 4 16ths on the E string then 4 on the G, D and so on. When you are comfortable with all that stuff you can practice scales this way.

It just looked interesting to practice it. Sorry to steal the thread... Lol. i thought you meant like e.g. At a set tempo quickly switching

E - 4ths
G - 16ths
B - 8th triplets
A - 8ths

Per bar/each string per beat

etc..

Just switching strings and short bursts.
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Apr 2, 2011,
Quote by smokeysteve22
It just looked interesting to practice it. Sorry to steal the thread... Lol. i thought you meant like e.g. At a set tempo quickly switching

E - 4ths
G - 16ths
B - 8th triplets
A - 8ths

Per bar/each string per beat

etc..

Just switching strings and short bursts.

That's what I did, and played just first to forth fret doing the alternate picking to speed it up.
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
Quote by steven seagull
Practice. Learn to play it properly before worrying about the speed.

This
: )