Well, I recently got into doing vocals and writing lyrics for my band, though, my only problem is, that I also play bass. Now, at practice, we don't do vocals simply because we are practicing in my bedroom and my parents are super religious. (Even though, we don't have any songs that deface religion I just don't feel comfortable singing around my folks) Though, eventually, we WILL be playing in a rehearsal studio soon.

The thing is, I can't really play bass and sing at the same time. Apart, I can do both, and sometimes I can kinda sorta play both at the same time but one or the other sounds terrible. Anyhow, I was wondering if there was any guides or tips for learning how to sing and play bass at the same time.

So far, I've been practicing Slayer, Sepultura and Megadeth songs to sing and play on but, they don't sound too good. Any suggestions?

EDIT/

Oh yeah, and Machine Head and Fear Factory songs. Lol, just thought I'd that in there for some reason.
Begin with songs where the bass line shares the same melody with the vocals. For example quite many songs from the Ozzy-era of Black Sabbath (Iron Man, N.I.B., Electric Funeral) should do the trick.
What do your songs sound like?
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Quote by Törö
Begin with songs where the bass line shares the same melody with the vocals. For example quite many songs from the Ozzy-era of Black Sabbath (Iron Man, N.I.B., Electric Funeral) should do the trick.

Agree. Start with the parts where it's a solid one note bass line because they're easier and then move on to the parts where it's more complex and focus on the changes like you would focus on chord changes if you were playing guitar.
In some cases it's one of those things that comes with time, but not necessarily practice. Sometimes it boils down to hearing/knowing the song so well it kinda gets imprinted in your head.
Toro's suggestion was a great one aswell.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Start out simple and slow, listen to the song and hear how the seperate rhythms and melodies fit together, then just speed it up

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Playing bass and singing is a pain in the arse, a lot harder tha playing guitar and singing (for me anyway and I'm better at bass than I am at guitar). You've gotta really drill the bassline into your skull, practise it over and over and over and then practise it some more. Also, try playing bass and doing something completely different at the same time like reading a book out loud. It'll take a lot of practise but you'll find it gets easier over time.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB