Hey, This is my first time buying an acoustic guitar. I have an electric, and I've been playing for a around a year. I just want something I can take places, but can also play on stage with, in a more acoustic fashion.

So, definitely an acoustic electric guitar. I've been to my local guitar center and was able to check some things off I want in a guitar:

1. Low Action, and stable tuning / good sustain - This is important to me

2. "Steel" string sound - I tried a guitar out, and it wasn't a steel string guitar, but it had that "crunchy" acoustic type of sound. If that makes any sense...

3. Price range of $200 to $300

4. Cut away body - Even if it doesn't increase the range of playing, it's more comfortable to me, and it looks nicer in my opinion.

5. A nice finish is always a plus, but not needed.

I did find favor in an Ibanez when I was testing out some guitars, the tone was great.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-AEG20E-Flamed-Sycamore-Top-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-103036620-i1166458.gc

I didn't get a chance to try anything else out I liked, so thats all I'm basing off right now.

Thanks
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
If you don't like phosphor/bronze strings, then you can always replace them with steel strings.
Diesel Weasel - you're in a rough price range because of the cutaway but even so i wouldn't recommend an ibanez acoustic. in my personal opinion, they focus on looks rather than build quality or tone, and haven't impressed me.

you might consider this fender. it has a solid top, which you want if at all possible as it allows for more vibration in the top, leading to better tone. it's available in black or natural, and while fender isn't my fave brand of acoustic, this is a pretty nice guitar.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-CD140SCE-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-H70147-i1709798.gc

or if you want something with more interesting looks, smaller body AND a solid top, this one will be in your price range during the gc fender sale. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Tim-Armstrong-Hellcat-Left-Handed-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-580407-i1452931.gc

washburn might also have a solid top guitar or a few in your price range, although at this level, i prefer the fenders.

important to note that you can have ANY guitar set up to have lower action, so don't let the action get in the way of getting a better guitar.

KG6_Steven - phosphor bronze strings ARE steel strings. they're probably the most common ones, actually.

Quote by KG6_Steven
If you don't like phosphor/bronze strings, then you can always replace them with steel strings.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Apr 2, 2011,
54Thiago - I really don't want to be biased, but I don't want an Epiphone. My electric is a low cost Epiphone and I'm not too fond of it.

KG6_Steven - Don't you have to have a guitar that is made for steel strings to use steel strings?

patticake - Thanks for the great advice and information. But first I would like to say that my dad's old acoustic had a high action that wouldn't fix. So I just wanted to make sure. Oh and now that you mention it, I do prefer a "smaller" acoustic body. As in it isn't so wide/thick.

Also, I really do not want something so brightly white-like colored as that Fender is. It's a nice guitar, but the whitish color, and black color is just... not my thing. And to be honest, that Ibanez I tried was my favorite out of the several I tried.

Oh and the second Fender guitar you showed me was a left handed guitar :P

EDIT: Saw this guitar looking through Guitar Center's website
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-T-Bucket-300-CE-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Dreadnought-Guitar-530011-i1398869.gc
Last edited by Diesel Weasel at Apr 2, 2011,
And that Hummingbird doesn't have a cutaway, sorry.

There are some really good Hohner guitars in your price range, but I haven't seen one with a cut
if your dad's old acoustic had action that couldn't be lowered, either it needed a neck reset - and that's not going to be the case with a new guitar - or your dad just didn't know enough to take his guitar to a luthier and have the action lowered.

here's the non-lefty version of the hellcat
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Tim-Armstrong-Hellcat-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-105309306-i1449039.gc

that fender you list is all laminate like the ibanez. you may be perfectly happy with either of them.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
Diesel Weasel - you're in a rough price range because of the cutaway but even so i wouldn't recommend an ibanez acoustic. in my personal opinion, they focus on looks rather than build quality or tone, and haven't impressed me.

I totally agree with that. The Ibanez acoustics I've used have all been pretty unimpressive, and some were difficult to play.

I personally own a Yamaha acoustic and have tried some others so I can say they are very good guitars for not a lot of money. They are low-action, and sound great.
Something like this might be what you're looking for.
I've looked at a few guitars in this price range and ended up getting a LAG tramontane t66ace, they are not as well known but in my opinion it plays really well.
Not sure about effect pedals though.
yeah but that compact body is really what im looking for...