This is a metal cover of the Dragon Roost Island theme from Wind Waker. I have decided to do a new zelda metal album as my one from 3 years ago sounds very shoddy, but now i have cubase 5 so i can make an attempt to mix the tracks properly.

So i'm looking for crits on the MIX/PRODUCTION ONLY please, and c4c of course

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/12Jim34/music/play977593

-Jim
Last edited by 12Jim34 at Apr 5, 2011,
Production only, eh? Let's see what I can say... I love this particular tune, btw, so I'm quite glad you chose to do it.

Aha, very nice rhythm guitar tone there, sounds like you double tracked it... However, one thing I recommend you do next time (correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound like you did this) is to double track it, but with each take on SLIGHTLY different settings. Pan each like 70% or so. That really makes a heavy sound, especially if one of them has a nice crunch on it. Iunno, just a thought.

Lead tone is a little iffy, in my opinion. A bit tinny and dry for my taste, it could use some reverb and a tiny touch of chorus. A bass-mid boosting EQ sounds like it wouldn't hurt either. Also, the action on your guitar sounds to be a bit off, and it makes some of the notes sound out of tune. You should probably fix that if you know how.

Also, you should maybe work on your vibrato a little bit, take it a bit slower. A lot of players ted do vibrato with a really fast cycle, and that doesn't sound so good. You really gotta flow with the lead. Feel it, you know what I mean?

Really though, you did a very fine job here. Drums are good, rhythm guitar sounds great, and outside of a couple flaws, lead guitar work was solid. Keep it up.
Production only, eh? Let's see what I can say... I love this particular tune, btw, so I'm quite glad you chose to do it.

Aha, very nice rhythm guitar tone there, sounds like you double tracked it... However, one thing I recommend you do next time (correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound like you did this) is to double track it, but with each take on SLIGHTLY different settings. Pan each like 70% or so. That really makes a heavy sound, especially if one of them has a nice crunch on it. Iunno, just a thought.

Lead tone is a little iffy, in my opinion. A bit tinny and dry for my taste, it could use some reverb and a tiny touch of chorus. A bass-mid boosting EQ sounds like it wouldn't hurt either. Also, the action on your guitar sounds to be a bit off, and it makes some of the notes sound out of tune. You should probably fix that if you know how.

Also, you should maybe work on your vibrato a little bit, take it a bit slower. A lot of players tend to do vibrato with a really fast cycle, and that doesn't sound so good. You really gotta flow with the lead. Feel it, you know what I mean?

Really though, you did a very fine job here. Drums are good, rhythm guitar sounds great, and outside of a couple flaws, lead guitar work was solid. Keep it up.
Thanks for the feedback man. I've been working on this more since your advice, it turns out the intonation on my guitar was horribly off and i've fixed that and re-recorded the lead parts.

I've uploaded the new version and replaced the link in the first post. I still want opinions on the mix though please guys

-Jim
Last edited by 12Jim34 at Apr 4, 2011,
first things first, thanks for the crit!

so mix/production wise. hmm.

for the most part the tones seem to be a bit digital sending but hey you work with what you got.

the rhythm guitars seemed pretty powerful and driving, sounds nice but perhaps they can be a tad louder at times? maybe i just like loud guitars haha.

the lead sound nice but as the other person stated perhaps it could benefit from some sort of effects?

the drums sounded pretty good, nice loud kick drum.

i could hear the bass, thats always a plus haha.

overally a pretty solid mix, nothing really much for me to say here. good job
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en