So I'm thinking about saving up for the Spider Valve MkII half stack since I own the Line 6 Spider III 75w and I'm feeling like its out dated and i need something bigger, but I still love the wide variety of sounds I can get with this amp so I want something similar.

*EDIT* I have for now decided upon the Peavey Vypyr Tube amp. I felt that this gave me the biggest bang for my buck seeing how the 120 watt 2x12 combo is only $650 as opposed to buying a line 6 spider valve half stack for $1500 which I heard are not great and since I probably don't need a half stack anyway.

Why cheap out on a $650 amp when I have a $1500 budget? The $1500 is an estimated amount of money I'll make from my summer job. And since I'm working a little bit right now I already have like $200 saved up so I figure by the end of the school year I'll be pretty close to buying the peavey and then I can spend all the $1500 on another guitar.
Last edited by Stringz of Fury at Apr 4, 2011,
what genres do you play?

For 1500 you can likely do better. There are a lot of options within that budget.
Guitars
Amps
I listen to almost all kinds of music... I started off playing metal like metallica, megadeth and some other stuff. But now I play more solo guitarist type of stuff like Paul Gilbert and Yngwie Malmsteen.

One thing I'd like to stress is that I like having a wide variety of effects(even if I might not use all of them that often) and stuff and being able to save my own sounds and switch between them with one foot controller and not just a bunch of random pedals cluttered together.
Midi compatible amp and a G Major effects unit.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Midi compatible amp and a G Major effects unit.

I don't know about that. If i want midi I can just use my Line 6 foot controller to hook up to my computer and use any of the thousands of software like guitar rig to do the same thing as that. Can I buy a foot controller for that? I need to be able to switch through channels to get different sounds as if I had a huge pedal board set up.
Do you have the half-stack version of the Spider III? If so, just get a Fractal Audio Axe-FX and run it into the amp FX loop return.

That's is if you REALLY need modeling. If you don't need modeling, look on eBay and get yourself a Peavey XXX head for around $700. No cab? Get a Celestion loaded 4x12 from Whitebox Engineering for around $650. Both together make $1,350, $150 left over for some new cables, and maybe even a TS-9.
It sounds like you havent really developed an ear for tone.
I stress you this.. if you like the sound of your amp, stick with it.
You'll eventually understand or come to like different tones and then it will make your choice for a specific amp or range much easier. I only decided I needed to upgrade when I got listening fatigue from my crap amp after a short while, it sounds like your happy atm (and gigging, budget, etc)

However the Spider Valve is great, I assume thats the one with the little screen too.. my friend has one with a 2x12 Marshall cab with V30's. Admittedly I can't actually dial in a better tone than a preset thats on it haha, starting from an empty patch and making my own and testing it against one that was on there I liked

Its definately a solid rig.. just not for that price!
Mesa/Boogie Studio Pre | Marshall EL34 50/50 Power | Harley Benton 2x12 V30's

How do you like, your mids in the morning?
Quote by Stringz of Fury
people seem to hate on Line 6 amps so much a

I don't see people hating on Line 6 amps. The hate is geared toward the Spiders because a lot of people feel like the tone is not that good. Me included.

The Vetta and Flextone are great amps. The Spider Valve is actually pretty decent. I personally wouldn't buy one because I like the Peavey Vypyr hybrid 60 better. But...if you like your current Spider than there is no reason why you shouldn't upgrade to the Spider Valve. I support that.
Quote by Bigaxmax
It sounds like you havent really developed an ear for tone.
I stress you this.. if you like the sound of your amp, stick with it.
You'll eventually understand or come to like different tones and then it will make your choice for a specific amp or range much easier. I only decided I needed to upgrade when I got listening fatigue from my crap amp after a short while, it sounds like your happy atm (and gigging, budget, etc)

However the Spider Valve is great, I assume thats the one with the little screen too.. my friend has one with a 2x12 Marshall cab with V30's. Admittedly I can't actually dial in a better tone than a preset thats on it haha, starting from an empty patch and making my own and testing it against one that was on there I liked

Its definately a solid rig.. just not for that price!

I thinking I'm just gonna go with the spider valve, I'm just a big fan of Line 6 spider amps I don't really care what any one says the valve is partly tube and its features are too good to pass up for any other tube amp that will only give me one or 2 nice tones or cost me another few hundred bucks to buy a bunch of effects pedals.

The price for the head is actually only like $800 or $900 I was saying $1500 because that's what the cost is for the head and the cabinet.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I don't see people hating on Line 6 amps. The hate is geared toward the Spiders because a lot of people feel like the tone is not that good. Me included.

The Vetta and Flextone are great amps. The Spider Valve is actually pretty decent. I personally wouldn't buy one because I like the Peavey Vypyr hybrid 60 better. But...if you like your current Spider than there is no reason why you shouldn't upgrade to the Spider Valve. I support that.

The Peavey vypyr hybrid looks pretty nice too, but can you get a foot controller to switch through different channels and stuff like that?
Quote by Stringz of Fury

Another con i hear about these amps is that they sound like crap turned up loud... Well whenever I turn my spider III up around 6 or higher it sounds like 10 times better than at bedroom level.

The louder something is, the deafer you get.
That explains why it sounds better...

You can do alot better with the $1500.
..I was watching my death.
If you do go with the spider valve, get yourself a better cab.

That's my main advice.

However, the vypyr tube is ALOT better IMO, and yes, they do have board for switching channels and all that jazz. Sampera I think they're called
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Quote by MickAlmighty
If you do go with the spider valve, get yourself a better cab.

That's my main advice.

However, the vypyr tube is ALOT better IMO, and yes, they do have board for switching channels and all that jazz. Sampera I think they're called

I'm watching some video reviews of the vypyr tube and it really looks nice is it true you can hook up a speaker cabinet to the non-head versions of the amp?
Ok one last thing about the vypyr... is there crazy amounts of feedback when you crank the distortion and volume? my spider has a little bit when i crank the volume up really loud but its not too noticeable
Quote by Stringz of Fury
Ok one last thing about the vypyr... is there crazy amounts of feedback when you crank the distortion and volume? my spider has a little bit when i crank the volume up really loud but its not too noticeable

Any amp with high gain settings will feedback even at reasonably low volumes.
..I was watching my death.
I would recommend the vypyr 60 over the line 6 valve amp any day. It is very good.
Guitars
Amps
Some of the Line 6 amps, like the Vetta and Vetta II are great amps, but anything to do with the Spider Series is just complete fail, idk, but they seem like they cheaped out big time with the Spider series amps.

If you like modeler amps, get a Axe FX and run it through a power amp and speaker, will make your Spider look like a squawk box.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Some of the Line 6 amps, like the Vetta and Vetta II are great amps, but anything to do with the Spider Series is just complete fail, idk, but they seem like they cheaped out big time with the Spider series amps.

If you like modeler amps, get a Axe FX and run it through a power amp and speaker, will make your Spider look like a squawk box.

yea the axe comes with a nice 1500 tax credit

joking aside, it is too expensive for most people.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Stringz of Fury

the feedback is a lot more controllable with the Vypyr imo and it is set up a bit more strait-forward. Most all of the amp models on it are decent too. I really want one.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 3, 2011,
I think I'm deciding on the vypyr... I know this really doesn't matter at all though but i just like the way line 6 amps look, especially the spider valve head. And I'm gonna miss the LED screen lol but I think they have one on the Peavey foot controller so it's all good.
Personally I feel, if your budget allows it, you should be gearing more towards the line 6 vetta.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Yeah, the Vypyrs are not the most attractive amps that Peavey makes but they def sound better. The good news is you can always mod one.

This guy removed those ugly plastic fang things off his combo so I'm assuming you could do that with the head.
http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=9375&view=next
Quote by Adam124
Personally I feel, if your budget allows it, you should be gearing more towards the line 6 vetta.

They don't make vettas anymore
Get a used vetta, better amp than a new spider valve in my opinion.

A spider valve might be worthwhile if you found one cheap used and didn't use the spider cab.

The bad thing about these computer amps is that if they break, they're usually dead. Standard tube amps are nice because they're really easy to fix and tend to be built better.

If you like your spider iii though, stick with it, once your ear develops a little more you'll understand how terrible they sound.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Dont forget the Line 6 HD147.

Incredible hi gain modeller.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Kevin Saale
Get a used vetta, better amp than a new spider valve in my opinion.

A spider valve might be worthwhile if you found one cheap used and didn't use the spider cab.

The bad thing about these computer amps is that if they break, they're usually dead. Standard tube amps are nice because they're really easy to fix and tend to be built better.

If you like your spider iii though, stick with it, once your ear develops a little more you'll understand how terrible they sound.

Haha I know the spider sucks compared to other amps but i think it is good for $300. I just wanted someone to convince me to get something besides line 6 for when I get a more expensive amp because im already so familiar with mine.
well the reason people hat eon them is because indeed everything sounds digital. at first listen it sounds just fine but put it besides any tube amp and it will lack the warmth and roar / dynamic of a tube amp.

i'm not that much for hybrid amps either really. in my opinion indeed a fractal axe fx on a decent tube amp would be better but more expensive allso.
for the price of 1500 you can go for way better than the spider valve really so if i were you i'd take a look around on youtube for sound demos and stuff like that.
By all means, go with the spider valve if you like it. But for F*k's sake - do not spend $1.5k on it. Find a used one for like $500 and a better cab for like $300-400.

EDIT: Also - there is a used Vetta halfstack w/ floorboard for $900 on craigslist by me - that is way better than getting the Spider Valve.
Last edited by OceansBetweenUs at Apr 3, 2011,