http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/09/apophis-asteroid-2036-video_n_820800.html

Even though it's a small chance, it's still a possible chance. When will we have the technology to move threatening meteors or somehow stop them from hitting us? Is this possible? Are we even trying to create something that will? I think we should, and I'm sure if we tried we could make something but...

By we I mean scientists and engineers and all the people that make this sorta stuff.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Last edited by Jostry at Apr 2, 2011,
After the first one hits and everyone's like "oh we need to stop this from ever happening again!"
Nukes/thread
THIS IS A PART OF MY SIG. IF YOU ARE READING THIS AS A PART OF MY POST YOU ARE DUMB BECAUSE LETS FACE IT THIS LOOKS NOTHING LIKE MY POST BECAUSE IT IS HUGE.
When our society stops wasting vast amounts of resources on pointless warfare and gets rid of the massive bureaucracy and economic elite who do absolutely nothing positive for the world. That would free up trillions of dollars to put into space research.
Obviously you've never watched the documentary Armageddon or you would know we already have the technology to do so.
I think...tomorrow.

Yeah the Scientific Scientist League of Scientists recently said it'd be tomorrow. I'll try to find the link.
Quote by blake1221
I think...tomorrow.

Yeah the Scientific Scientist League of Scientists recently said it'd be tomorrow. I'll try to find the link.

The Scientifical Scientific Scientist League of Scientifical Scientist Science is a more reliable group of people.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
Quote by zdh
Obviously you've never watched the documentary Armageddon or you would know we already have the technology to do so.

Exactly, we'll just send BP up there to blow it up.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Mr-Mufflers69
Nukes/thread

If the meteor is big enough, all it will do is make a huge crater on it. Does the earth blow up if use nukes? And if does blow the meteor up, we'll have thousands of smaller meteors raining down on us, possibly causing even more damage.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Quote by zdh

Have you ever seen some of the other documentaries that Willis guy has presented?
He's bloody insane.
About when we have the tech to stop earthquakes from happening.

So never.
love is love // return to dust
Quote by Scutchington
The Scientifical Scientific Scientist League of Scientifical Scientist Science is a more reliable group of people.

Goddammit. You're one of those people? The SSSLSSS is a JOKE around the Super Scientific Community. Check your sources better brah.
Quote by Jostry
If the meteor is big enough, all it will do is make a huge crater on it. Does the earth blow up if use nukes? And if does blow the meteor up, we'll have thousands of smaller meteors raining down on us, possibly causing even more damage.

Lots of nukes in the core

/thread
THIS IS A PART OF MY SIG. IF YOU ARE READING THIS AS A PART OF MY POST YOU ARE DUMB BECAUSE LETS FACE IT THIS LOOKS NOTHING LIKE MY POST BECAUSE IT IS HUGE.
I suspect they have some plans/measures in place if it should ever happen, but yeah it wouldn't be anything 100% because the situation hasn't arose(sp?) yet.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
Quote by Mr-Mufflers69
Nukes/thread

No. Blowing it up could be a disaster, instead of one big meteor hitting, you have a shower of medium-sized ones wrecking havoc over continents. Plus, they're now radioactive.
As horrible as this is, wouldnt that be the craziest thing to witness: to see an asteroid hit the Earth. If a huge one hit in the ocean it would probably create tidal waves hundreds of feet high! THAT would be INSANE! Not that I would ever want to see it, but if that was the last thing I saw before I die, that would be some crazy stuff.

But anyways, I think that if one was on a collision course with us, everything in the world would stop and many of the scientists, engineers, etc would come together in a collective effort and have many different ideas that we would have to try out and one of them would more than likely succeed, unless this was an Armageddon asteroid the size of Texas. We would be screwed if one that big was headed towards us...
Quote by cRACk mONKEyTTU
As horrible as this is, wouldnt that be the craziest thing to witness: to see an asteroid hit the Earth. If a huge one hit in the ocean it would probably create tidal waves hundreds of feet high! THAT would be INSANE! Not that I would ever want to see it, but if that was the last thing I saw before I die, that would be some crazy stuff.

Yes, that would be the last thing most of us would see.
What if were made a barrier around the surface of the earth made of a highly reactive gas, so when the meteor comes in contact with it at a high velocity, it will disintegrate?
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Apr 2, 2011,
I'm not really a huge Pink Floyd fan (excluding the Syd Barrett years), but damn that was a cool video in that article in OP. Even if it probably isn't realistic or anything.
Quote by SlayingDragons
What if were made a barrier around the surface of the earth made of a highly reactive gas, so when the meteor comes in contact with it at a high velocity, it will disintegrate?

Space Environmentalists would do their best to prevent that idea from ever happening.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
Quote by SlayingDragons

That is the dumbest idea ever. If it did work we would be safe from a meteor but then we would still die with all the gases and shit.
Quote by Jostry

all we have to do is "push" it in another direction, put enough rocket engines on it and it will never even reach earth, besides your earth comparison is flawed, the biggest asteroids that could hit us at the moment aren't nearly as big as the earth
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by Mr-Mufflers69
That is the dumbest idea ever. If it did work we would be safe from a meteor but then we would still die with all the gases and shit.

It's kinda funny, I tried as hard as I could to give away I was talking about the atmosphere but not actually give it away.

The atmosphere protects us from hundreds of smaller asteroids all the time, that's what 'shooting stars' are. The light you see from them is them rapidly heating up and disintegrating in the atmosphere, either complete or into small enough pieces that no harm can be done. And oxygen is the highly reactive gas.

*tehmoaryouknow.jpg*

Well, I believe a few megaton warheads if detonated at a specific angle could alter the trajectory of the meteor/asteroid, even an inch could do wonders if the space object is far away.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Last edited by Necrolust at Apr 2, 2011,
The best bet isn't to destroy the meteor, it's to catch it when it's way too far away and use a miniscule gravitational pull to change its trajectory just enough to make it miss.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
The best bet isn't to destroy the meteor, it's to catch it when it's way too far away and use a miniscule gravitational pull to change its trajectory just enough to make it miss.

Our posts are exactly the same :P
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by Necrolust
Our posts are exactly the same :P

Not really. Mine's a little easier because it doesn't require explosives; you just fly a spacecraft next to the asteroid and the tiny gravitational pull alters the trajectory very slightly.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
what we need is some kind of big ball of some sort, and sort of shoot it at that there asteroid in an effort to move it off it's path. we could make a big catapult like the Hubble telescope.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Hopefully before the human race is wiped out by said meteor.
Quote by CFH82
Ejaculate in MY moustache?!

Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.ಠ_ಠ
But think about it a meteor to be able to entre the atmosphere, it has to be pretty big. And blowing up a big meteor won't make a lot of really tiny ones?